587,711 active members*
4,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

what the fork?

some of you people need to write less. its incomprehensible babble. if youre going to make a 500 line post.... maybe take the time to learn 500 (or more) english words.

in any case... the US is not, and has never been the leader in cnc equipment. in fact, until taiwan and china came along, they were bottom of the line. the crap you buy when you cant afford something good. at this point, they are the crap you buy when you cant afford something good... and are diluded into believing american products are somehow best.

theres 3 ways to make a successful cnc equipment company:

1 make the best.

2 make stuff just barely good enough to finish a job, recover the expense, then throw away.

3 make toys.

i dont know an american cnc compnay thats hits catagory 1. haas basically defines category 2. many hobby machines make nice toys and nothing more. most of the techno machines i have seen didnt fit into any of the 3 categories. thats a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    what the fork?

some of you people need to write less. its incomprehensible babble. if youre going to make a 500 line post.... maybe take the time to learn 500 (or more) english words.

You do realise not every one speaks English as a first language? There's these things called other "countries" in which the population usually speak their own dialect or language. For many migrants, English can be very hard to master, and allowances should made for bad grammar, not ridiculed.
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    You do realise not every one speaks English as a first language? There's these things called other "countries" in which the population usually speak their own dialect or language. For many migrants, English can be very hard to master, and allowances should made for bad grammar, not ridiculed.
    sigh. some of you also have no sense of humour!

sigh. some of you also have no sense of humour!
    no, I'm from OZ so we get humour in a big way, in fact for us it's a way of life. But some of you don't seem to understand that the placing of a smiley at the end of a very clearly rude and intolerant sentence, not only doesn't negate that fact, nor does it make it humorous!

If your making a humorous point, there's a lot less insulting ways to get it across. These guys are at least making the effort to participate, and communicate, and should be commended for it, not inferred they are inferior to the ways of others. And I find a lot of people from other countries may struggle with the subtlety, or lack thereof, of many other people's attempts at humour. To us it may be "funny to stir them", but to them it's a literal remark, so the context should be borne in mind.
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    no, I'm from OZ so we get humour in a big way, in fact for us it's a way of life. But some of you don't seem to understand that the placing of a smiley at the end of a very clearly rude and intolerant sentence, not only doesn't negate that fact, nor does it make it humorous!

If your making a humorous point, there's a lot less insulting ways to get it across. These guys are at least making the effort to participate, and communicate, and should be commended for it, not inferred they are inferior to the ways of others. And I find a lot of people from other countries may struggle with the subtlety, or lack thereof, of many other people's attempts at humour. To us it may be "funny to stir them", but to them it's a literal remark.
    /me slams head on desk.

youve determined that my joke was insulting... but you havent seem to have figured out what the joke was.

heres a hint: english has nothing to do with it.

in any case... the US is not, and has never been the leader in cnc equipment. in fact, until taiwan and china came along, they were bottom of the line. the crap you buy when you cant afford something good. at this point, they are the crap you buy when you cant afford something good... and are diluded into believing american products are somehow best.
    I wouldn't call some of the past Hardinge stuff crap.

I would also rather have a Matsuura VMC than a Haas. Have you seen some of their 5 axis machines? Pure sex.

Quote Originally Posted by KTP View Post

I would also rather have a Matsuura VMC than a Haas. Have you seen some of their 5 axis machines? Pure sex.
    I believe he is talking about routers not mills. Comparing TECHNO TO HAAS
    XZero cnc

Quote Originally Posted by KTP View Post

im specifically talking cnc. the hardinge branded cnc machines ive seen were entry level and substantially sub par to chinese machines from sharp they were priced against. likewise bridgeport (same company of course).

but you get the point. people seem to be longing for the days america led the field... but those days simply never existed.

this does lead to the overall theme though. why does the US suck at making cnc machines? is it because the american people dont know how? are they slave labour? no, its because its a specific choice of most US makers to make machines at this target market.

that goes the same for china. they make what they are paid to make, whether its hobby grade toys for a cheap US customer, or ultra high end machines for DMG to serve chinas internal factories. this is why its annoying when people associate an industry by country, and not by the specific quality of each product.

its fine to want to buy local, and promote it, and make valid arguments why it might be the better choice for an individual.... but the dilusion that if it is american made, its a superior product is getting really old now and doesnt help local businesses in the least. it probably does more to harm them by not encouraging them to be more competitive in the fututre. its like some last ditch effort to make china go away... yeah, thats gonna happen.