587,830 active members*
2,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Adding a 4th Axis to a 97 BMC 30 M

Adding a 4th Axis to a 97 BMC 30 M

Anyone ever add a 4th axis to a 97 BMC 30M ? The controller allows for 5 axis, but I believe I need to add on quite a bit to the Siemens system to get there.... anyone, anyone ?

Can you give any information about hardware on your Hurco and which 4th axis do you wanna put up??

You'll need to add a DSP card, a DCI/O card, a small selection of ribbon cables, a Honda breakout board, Internal wiring to the outside of the cabinet to connect the rotary to, a servo amp to suit the motor in the table, a suitable set of parameters for the control and servo amp and an air/hydraulic supply to suit whatever brake the table uses.

adding 4th axis

The unit has an Ultimax 3 w/ A and B axis capability, Siemens Simodrive 611 control system, and the wiring harness is there for the external mount. I think this isn't a plug and play setup for sure, but if I get a 4th and 5th axis setup of hardware, I won't sleep until it runs smoothly. I have built smaller systems, and worked as an app engineer, so I'm not flying blind. I just wondered if anyone had done this as a retrofit....

This far from it's original build, it'll be hellishly expensive. If it's got it's original CPU (Pentium motherboard instead of a passive backplane type) and you can't get a DSP with the same firmware as your existing one, you'll need to upgrade to:
    Peak715 or Peak777 Cpu.
    Passive backplane.
    Uprated power supply.
    XMP card.
    2 x RMB modules.
    Servo amp to suit.
    Cabling to suit.
    DCI/O card.
    V2.37 software.

That isn't going to be a cheap option.

If your Hurco is prepaired for 4th and 5th axis, then you should have DSP board prepaired and no extra costs. Naturally, its never plug and play and every time, every machine, is different. Did you buy 4th axis and which, if you have?

Looking at this one : Hurco 4th Axis CNC Indexer | eBay

That indexer won't work as is I don't think. Yaskawa motor type, would have been for a yaskawa drive hurco.

If it only comes with what is in the ad, it will need a significant amount of extra stuff. It looks as if he's left the cabinet interface parts with the machine. If he is selling along with the cabinet parts, it'll be a good deal. There wouldn't be a problem fitting it if it's all there.

Thanks Bloke, I will email the guy to see..... Cheers