587,104 active members*
4,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234
    Your Z looks very impressive. Good job. I really like it.

Would you mind sharing your experience with buying YiTong bearings? Cost, Model number, and how you managed to buy them?

Steve

I found buying YiTong bearings a bit troublesome, honestly.
    They requested a money order which I sent to them, then when it arrived they sent it back and said they couldn't accept anything but cash or a funds transfer. A funds transfer costs about $30 for me because I am in Canada and they would only accept a US transfer. I only ordered 4 bearings the first round to confirm quality. I ended up sending $30 USD cash in the mail, I was reluctant, but this was the only way.
    I will likely order a bunch of bearings next time around and pay with a funds transfer. I will see if anyone on CNC zone wants bearings at the same time and maybe combine our orders.
    The bearings I used are the LV 20/7 Vee'd bearings here http://www.yi-tong.com/yi-tong/Track-Rollers-LV.htm They are designed for 10mm shafting. I used 1/2" because the 1/2" ball nose endmill and 1/2" drill rod was available locally and was much less expensive than the 10mm.
    Prices go down the more you order. They were delivered promptly.
    Cheers,
    Colin

How expensive are they? I'd be interested in getting some.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

For the particular bearings that I purchased, I was quoted $3.98 each for quantities of 50-100. I only purchased 4 to see of they would work out OK, and I paid $30 USD including shipping for these. I can say that the quality of the bearings is very good and I will be buying more.
    Colin

did you goto YiTong directly?

Hi Phil.
    Yes, I went to Yi-Tong directly. I spoke to Jerry [email protected]
    Colin

A bunch more work has happened, but you can't tell by looking at the machine. All that remains to happen is getting the leadscrew ends turned down, cut the big front window, and bend the ABS panel for the electronics enclosure, and final assembly of course.
    I will be making some changes for the next machine, mainly because I am going to use the V bearings on rod for the X as I did on the Z on this machine.
    I installed 32 1/4-20 T-nuts in the underside of the table for fixturing.
    I hope to have it finished by Friday, and will put it on E-bay to recoop some of the money I spent on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0128.JPG  

OK, getting the front panel cut and bent really makes it look like I am nearly finished. This is the one feature that has excited me the most about this machine. I will be making a control panel for the next machine that will be right on the front panel. You can see the openings for air inlet/exhaust. The fan will mount behind one the one on the left. Side windows are cut, and the front window will be cut tomorrow. I've got some feet to install to make it possible to level the machine.
    I haven't seen much interest on this thread, and I can't quite understand why. I think this design addresses many of the issues we have with hobby CNC machines in unique and innovative ways. (Blowing my own horn, I know, but I am allowed to be very pleased with my work )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0129.JPG   IMGP0131.JPG  

Colin, Your machine has the potential to be a design masterpiece of the DIY CNC market!

I am reading all the posts, but don't have much to say. I'm just waiting to see how the slides work, dust in the enclosure, all kinds of practical issues.

Do you have any way to add a dust collector?

Keep posting.

Do not worry Colin, your machine has a good design and with this "all in one" type system in which all the usual messy wiring is hidden and the dust contained then the design is even more desirable. Keep the pics coming, larger pics would be nice along with a video of the machine in action when its finished.

Jason

Thanks guys.
    Larger pictures I can and will do.
    I have been thinking of "add ons" like dust collection, lighting, even a vacuum table. Dust collection can be as simple as making a hole in the back of the machine for a vacuum hose. This would evacuate all of the very fine particles, the ones that you dont want to be breathing in. With my current machine, I simply scoop out the chips and dust when it starts piling up.
    Colin

any chance on blueprints?

I did the design in AutoCAD, but the drawings are for toolpaths, not plans. I never really intended to do blueprints because the machine is designed to key together, something not possible if making the parts by hand, it really needs to be CNC cut.
    The X and Z axes require a 3 axis milling machine to make, so I really think that this machine is a bit beyond what anyone would want to make from plans.
    Time is also another issue for me, it would take me a lot of time to come up with good quality blueprints (like the JGRO), and my plate is already rather full.

On a positive note, I got the leadscrews turned down today and the windows cut out, so we are in the home stretch!
    Colin

Alright, I have the machine finished!
    Very happy, this thing took a lot of work, and the results are great. No electronics installed as I am going to list it on ebay as is.
    There are a few imperfections and blemishes here and there, but nothing that affects the machine's operation. Too bad I will never see it cut anything, but the next one will be MINE, all mine.....
    Colin
    P.S. I left the film on the windows so they dont get scratched in shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3935.JPG   IMGP3938.JPG   IMGP3943.JPG  

Well I must say that this is a genius design. Fully enclosed modular approach is certainly a new and novel approach that pushes forward the thinking and design of DIY machines. I am particularly impressed with the X an Z axis. Good work!

Nicely thought out, professional looking machine.

What is the Y travel? It looks kind of limited.
    Regards,
    Mark

where does the Z-Axis stepper go?

Beautiful looking machine, but i am confused on one little issue..

How do you hook up the steper for the Z axis?

It looks like the plate at the top with the 2 bolts on it is part of the moving part that goes up and down, and there does not appear to be room behind the Z-axis plate for a anti-backlash nut.

[EDIT] -- on closer examination, there is BARELY visible, what appears to be some sort of a block of metal directly behind the Z-Axis column, and centered .. is this the anti-backlash nut for the Z-axis screw?

Quote Originally Posted by yukonho
    Alright, I have the machine finished!
    Very happy, this thing took a lot of work, and the results are great. No electronics installed as I am going to list it on ebay as is.
    There are a few imperfections and blemishes here and there, but nothing that affects the machine's operation. Too bad I will never see it cut anything, but the next one will be MINE, all mine.....
    Colin
    P.S. I left the film on the windows so they dont get scratched in shipping.

RotarySMP... The travel is 20" X 11" X 3". I have designed it so that the table is a bit higher than the frame is so that you can overhang your stock out the door if necessary. You can even take the back off of the machine and run your stock out both ends if you so desire, thus giving you 20" X unlimited length.
    esmiller...You are correct. The stepper bolts to the top where the machine screws are and moves up and down with the Z axis. The X and Z leadscrews have about 1/4" between them. The block of aluminum you see is the mount for the Z axis lead nut and the X nut is behind the Z axis plate.
    I designed it this way to keep the spindle as close as possible to the X axis to help prevent any flex.
    txcowdog... Thanks for the kind words. Indeed, there was a lot of planning and design that went into this machine.
    Cheers,
    Colin

yukonho

May your planning and design that went into your latest machine continue to pay off. Your project has been nothing short of inspiration.

11" of Y is a much better than it looks in the pictures. Good work.
    Regards,
    Mark

Page 2 of 4 1234