587,997 active members*
2,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build
Page 2 of 7 1234
    That was the same one that I was looking also. I sent a message to Ahren to see if he has any thought on it. I will be making mine to attach to table just when I need it. I have 3 boys that are into baseball, one plays Division 1 baseball in college, other will be playing in college next year. They and several others in the baseball community have asked for some custom bats for display and for team trophy type applications. I would also use to do some custom spindles legs for a few wood working projects. Anyways I will P.M. you when I get a little further along in the next week or two.

I'm looking to buy this 4th axis with the 4 jaw chuck. I don't see myself having much premade round stock.

Hollow Shaft 4Axis Rotary Axis 4th Axis A Axis for CNC Router 100mm Chuck | eBay

Things that have happened the last few days:
    -Received last few items need for putting the electronics together
    -Hung the new heater in the garage, plus electrical and thermostat
    -Secured some items for the leg levelers for the table base

Started some of the assembly this morning , need to square up and move to the next section.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-30-08.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	211056

I'm just now learning about homebuilding a homebuilt cnc machine but from what I've seen, you're doing great.

Thanks I appreciate the support!

Got a little bit of the assembly done today....

Name:	2013-12-01-16.55.jpg 
Size:	368.3 KB 
ID:	211278

All of the stepper motor have been assembled to the pinion drive. Installing this evening and moving on to the electronics assembly next.

Looking great Landarts! I especially like the steel table you made it turned out great. You must be chomping at the bit to get cutting soon!!

I'm in the process of planning out my table build and I'm heading in the direction of going steel. This of course is new territory for me as I'm predominantly a woodworker. Can you recommend a good source for precut 2.5" square tubing? What is a decent (wall) thickness to use? I've been looking at online metals and metals depot but with shipping factored in I'd love to find a local source. I have a few buddies (and family) that said would assist with the welding and assembly.

Hey Gorilla83 I went with 2.5" with a .188 wall thickness (3/16). I did this for two reasons, one it is what I already had plenty of and second the extra weight makes the table extremely rigid and secure. The table by itself weighs about 300lbs. You might want to try a local scrap yard or metal recycler that has cutoffs. I did all of my cuts on the driveway with a 14" metal cut off saw. Just go slow and use a metal scribe for your cut lines. I welded mine with a mig welder and spent more time cleaning up the welds so I could put a good finish on it.

The table was designed so I can add another section later and make it a 8' table in the near future. If you need anything else let me know.

Here is a quick rendering of what I am working on for the 4th axis add on. I will probably use a geared stepper on the headstock end.

Name:	4x4-table-base final-inside-index.jpg 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	212292

Quote Originally Posted by landarts View Post
    Hey Gorilla83 I went with 2.5" with a .188 wall thickness (3/16). I did this for two reasons, one it is what I already had plenty of and second the extra weight makes the table extremely rigid and secure. The table by itself weighs about 300lbs. You might want to try a local scrap yard or metal recycler that has cutoffs. I did all of my cuts on the driveway with a 14" metal cut off saw. Just go slow and use a metal scribe for your cut lines. I welded mine with a mig welder and spent more time cleaning up the welds so I could put a good finish on it.

The table was designed so I can add another section later and make it a 8' table in the near future. If you need anything else let me know.
    Thanks, very helpful! I will start looking around now.

Hi Landarts,

Build is looking good! Is that an 8" or the optional 12" Z?

Thanks.

It is the the standard 8" Z axis

Does the tip of the cutter/tool have a FULL 8 inches of travel?

Thanks.

Here is an updated drawing of what I am currently working toward for the 4th Axis.

Name:	4x4-table-base final-inside-index2.jpg 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	213060

Hey landarts, its a beautiful build. Compliments! Question: What are the dimensions of the welded table?

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk

Here are the table dimensions rgabriel - click on image to view enlarge

Name:	Table-Dimensions-2.jpg 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	214158

Adjust the leg size in height to fit your needs, I am tall so I needed all taller table so I don't have to bend over to use it. The table footprint of 49" x 63" was given to me from Ahren of CNCRouterparts. This dimension is a perfect fit for the Pro4848 machine. AS I noted before I used 2.5" tubing with a .188 (3/16) wall thickness since it is what I already had in the shop. I had planned on putting some diagonal bracing also but once I got to this point it was apparent that the table was rock solid, so I decided not to add the additional bracing. I then spent more time actually cleaning the welds so that the finish on the table would look like it was one piece of metal. One other note this is a heavy wall material so the table base came out right at 300lbs for the base with the casters on it.

For the finish I use Rustoleum Hammer finish silver in a quart can. Put it on with a good brush, this material self levels and leaves a very good hammered finish that looks as though it is sprayed on. I have used this process several times of the last few years and i will say that it does hold up very well.

Attachment 214162

For the leg levelers I used a 3/8 weld in nut on an end cap and 3/8 heavy duty machinery adjustable legs with rubber padding. See photo below. Basically how it works is I mounted the 4" casters so about 1/2" of the wheel on the casters is making contact so it will roll. Once I finish with the machine I will adjust the leg levelers down, which will raise the casters off the ground. Level the machine with all leg levelers and lock down the lock nut and mark the concrete where the levelers are, so that if I ever move it again I can put it back in the original position.

Attachment 214160

Build is looking great! I'm very curious to see your 4th axis attachment.

Thanks for the compliments. Here is a 1st draft drawing of how I am going to build the 4th axis.

Attachment 215418

Once I work out a few more details I will start gathering parts and proceed to build. I will probably go with a tailstock from Grizzly tools and cut and weld brackets to fit the PRO4848.

Page 2 of 7 1234