588,079 active members*
5,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V24 Select Tool Garbage - Some Kind Of Video RAM issue

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Well, I can agree with the notion, but V24 was designed long before windows 8. The drivers he's running on that system would probably follow that same suit.
    Win8 requires "WDDM" drivers, which means signed-and-approved-by-Microsoft... unless he can sort out the hacks needed to get an unsigned driver onto the box... wasn't fun last I tried it during Win8 OEM development a few years ago.

We agree there's not much motivation for BCC to redo V24 (and it's not a simple quick fix), when V25 works ok with DWM, and V26 maybe better (I haven't tried it). The easiest fix might be an upgrade from V24 rather than spending hours trying to get Win8 to do something it doesn't want to.

V23 is also not going to work well with Win8.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Win8 requires "WDDM" drivers, which means signed-and-approved-by-Microsoft... so if he's running Win8, the drivers are designed for it (unless he can sort out the hacks needed to get an unsigned driver onto the box... wasn't fun last I tried it during Win8 OEM development a few years ago). We agree there's not much motivation for BCC to redo V24, when V25 works ok with DWM, and V26 maybe better (I haven't tried it). The easiest fix might be an upgrade from V24.

Yeah, well the "signed and approved" part is where the distinction your making is not good. I mean, V24 was not made for Win8. Microsoft will sign and approve stuff for win8, for win8! That's the part where they change path like you mention, and tell dev's to "not do that anymore, because we have changed things"....

The driver devs though, are driven by the users and their needs, so people use their cards. The OEM side resides with the original reseller. They wont change their drivers because of your need to run unobstructed by new limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Win8 requires "WDDM" drivers, which means signed-and-approved-by-Microsoft... unless he can sort out the hacks needed to get an unsigned driver onto the box... wasn't fun last I tried it during Win8 OEM development a few years ago.

We agree there's not much motivation for BCC to redo V24 (and it's not a simple quick fix), when V25 works ok with DWM, and V26 maybe better (I haven't tried it). The easiest fix might be an upgrade from V24 rather than spending hours trying to get Win8 to do something it doesn't want to.

Since I don't think I'm smart enough to "hack" anything but wood, it seems to me there are (for the average dude) two ways to go here:

A. Run BC V24 or older versions on a computer using Win7 (with the proper settings);
    or
    B. Upgrade to BC V25 or higher and run it on whatever you want to (when set up properly).

There, that was easy.
    It only took a 4 page thread to figure out!

Follow-Up Summary

OK, so here is a summary of this issue so far:
    A. Win8 uses a thing call DWM (Desktop Windows Manager) that controls something called Desktop Composition.
    B. Desktop Composition (and therefore DWM) has to be active and running in Win8 to support this Metro Theme thing.
    C. Some part of the BC V24 software (and any older version of BC) that has to do with graphics does not work with Desktop Composition.
    D. Win8 does not have the options to turn off Themes and Desktop Composition (These ARE available options in Win7).
    E. So, if you try to run BC V24 or older versions on Win8 - it doesn't work well. It does run, but the graphics are glitchy and puts up a lot of trash at times (like when using the select tool).

What I have done to try to get V24 to run in Win8:
    1. Updated graphics driver (and adjust setting in Vision Engine Control Center) - didn't help.
    2. Loaded the Areo Lite (basic) Theme into Win8 and selected it - didn't help.
    3. Figured out how to turn off DWM in Win8 and started BC V24 - Ran, but had other video issues
    4. Updated the Laptop BOIS - didn't help.

What else I have learned:
    1. I downloaded BC V26 (trial) and installed it on Win8 - It appears to run OK on my integrated graphics driver laptop.
    2. Don't buy a laptop with an integrated graphics driver.

The simplest solution options:
    A. Run BC V24 (or older versions) on a computer using Win7 with:
    1. Run as Administrator;
    2. Disable Visual Themes;
    3. Turn Desktop Composition OFF.

or;

B. Upgrade to BC V25 or higher and run it on whatever you want (when set up properly).

Hope this thread is helpful to anyone who wants to keep BCC V24 or older and finds it necessary to get a new (or different) computer.
    R/Todd