587,869 active members*
3,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Work Offsets not posting?

Work Offsets not posting?

Anyone had any success with using the Work Offsets from the Stock setup in V26. See image below.

Attachment 216608

There is a line in the Header that looks like it should be populated with coords that would be input in the Work Offsets dialog but it doesn`t seem to output anywhere in the posted code.
    Maybe it should be in the code, can`t see a use for it, probably a very simple something that I am not "seeing for the trees" due to looking at it too long

(COOR_SYS 1=X0 Y0 Z0)

I am doing CAD-CAM for a new customer and I`ve been setting up a PP to output code suitable for the way they like to run their machines using a G10 line in the code.

I have actually modified a PP to output the code as required but I`m curious about this facility that doesn`t seem to do anything

Just kicking this around for interests sake, bugs me a little when I see something that doesn`t seem to work

Anyone got anything on this ? ? Been all through the Help Files and Knowledge Base but not found anything so far

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Kindof a stab in the dark, but maybe look at this parameter in the machine definition:

Attachment 216610

If that doesn't work you out, then a sample bbcd file, the listed machine def and post processor to work through would help.

Be sure to note that you get there from the "default settings" area, so the change will not output in the current working doc. a reload would be required.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Kindof a stab in the dark, but maybe look at this parameter in the machine definition:

Attachment 216610

If that doesn't work you out, then a sample bbcd file, the listed machine def and post processor to work through would help.

Be sure to note that you get there from the "default settings" area, so the change will not output in the current working doc. a reload would be required.
    Hi Burr

Thanks for the reply.

Thought you might like to have a go at this one, your suggestion sort of works but not under the "Default" settings, if changed under the "Milling Job" settings then what it seems to do is change the already posted code (Re-post required) by the amount entered, for example an X 10mm (Positive) input will move all X coordinates in the code 10mm in the original direction of travel, eg X-200 will become X-210 and vice versa

Interesting facility, not just sure when I might have use for it though but all information is valuable, never know just when it might come in handy

Cheers again

Regards
    Rob

Hey General,
    OIC. You are referring to the "predator header" value of (COORD_SYS 1=X0 Y0 Z0)

You'll notice that's "hard coded" into the header section of the post. it's for the back plotting.

I suppose if you wanted the backplot to include stuff like that, then you would have to alter that header area with the variables to grab the work_coords.

I don't think I could figure that part out, but the standard start of program area does this with these lines there, like "n,rapid_move,absolute_coord,work_coord,force_x,xr ,force_y,yr,p_rot,s_rot,s" etc......

I tried really quick to create a line like
    Code:
     "(COORD_SYS 1=" work_coord,force_x,xr,force_y,yr,p_rot,s_rot,s
    But the posting engine isn't grabbing the work offset coords from that position. It's just getting 0's. It may require writing a scripting block to catch the value at the program output area, and insert it into the header...

I don't know the value of outputting different coord sys values to the backplot, but maybe you do and have a reason. I havnt tried the newer abilities to run multiple stock setups through a single file yet though, and it may come into play with the backplot at that point.

I may have missed something too.

The work offset you are referring to is used for moving the part around in the simulation , when you have the full machine simulator.
    It is also used in multiaxis calculations .
    for basic 3 axis with standard simulation , don't even need to look at.

MikeG

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheG View Post
    The work offset you are referring to is used for moving the part around in the simulation
    MikeG
    Hey MikeTheG,
    It appeared to me he was referring to the Predator headers COORD_SYS values, and was trying to tie those to the work offsets output. This would happen in the backplot.

I would like to chime in and also request the ability to read the Work Offset that I enter in the Machine Setup dialog. The way I have my Sim setup I have to enter an accurate Work Offset in order to not trigger the "Limits". It seems silly that I can't access that data and insert it into the Setup Sheet or G-Code.

I have a script that will do this for me but it requires me to duplicate the Work Offset I have already entered into the Advanced Posting page under Current Settings. The output in the G-Code looks like this:

/#FX1 = -9.8880
    /#FY1 = 2.8960
    /#FZ1 = 3.7991

These simple Fadal Macro statements will overwrite the values in the Offset table at the machine. If it didn't crash in Simulation, it shouldn't crash at the machine. Because I can't read the values I entered for Simulation directly, there is a window of error there that is not (IMO) necassary.

Sorry for the delay getting back to this, been doing my VAT Return for the last quarter, those very nice folks at the HMRC (Her Majestys Revenue & Customs) aren`t keen on tardy reporting, have been known to get a little peevish on occasion, never happened to me but I have heard tell if this :)

Right, first of all thanks for all the answers, it does seem to be a pretty complex area for sure, thanks to MikeG I have a clearer idea of why that dialog is in there at all and I will probably leave it alone. Only useful thing I could see would be for possibly moving code over but that can be done just as easily (Easier in fact) by altering a work offset at the machine. Would save changes being made to the machine though

Regarding getting a work offset into either the Header or the code that is a different matter and pretty easy I`ve found, the following lines and images should explain where I am with this
    In this example it does seem to take the information from what is drawn in the CAD window and not from any input at the stock setup area, any input there is added/subtracted from the CAD window information, sort of like an offset of an offset, did that make any sense ?

First of all this line in the PP will bring the Lower Left and highest Z point of a rectangular "Ghost" stock, in other words the BC "Bounding Box" code into your code where you want it, handy if using a G10 setup.
    Altering the "min" and "max" will move the point around all the corners of the "Box"

n,"G10","X"stock_min_x "Y"stock_min_y "Z"stock_max_z"

Outputs this:-

N30 G10 X40. Y40. Z0.

The following line will do the same for the information to appear in a Header, it doesn`t do anything in Predator, only there for information purposes, for the time being at least till I do some more with it but I think that is as far as I will go for now

"(WORK OFFSET="("X"stock_min_x "Y"stock_min_y "Z"stock_max_z")

Outputs this:-

(WORK OFFSET= X40. Y40. Z0.)

Attachment 216720
    Attachment 216722

Question to myself, do I/we need it at all, if you look closely you will see that the information is already there in the Header in the "S Box" line and this is read by predator anyway.

Answer to myself, no, but it was an interesting exercise, if I ever get into multi axis stuff then I`ll probably be visiting it again

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Anyone had any success with using the Work Offsets from the Stock setup in V26. See image below.

Attachment 216608

There is a line in the Header that looks like it should be populated with coords that would be input in the Work Offsets dialog but it doesn`t seem to output anywhere in the posted code.
    Maybe it should be in the code, can`t see a use for it, probably a very simple something that I am not "seeing for the trees" due to looking at it too long

(COOR_SYS 1=X0 Y0 Z0)

I am doing CAD-CAM for a new customer and I`ve been setting up a PP to output code suitable for the way they like to run their machines using a G10 line in the code.

I have actually modified a PP to output the code as required but I`m curious about this facility that doesn`t seem to do anything

Just kicking this around for interests sake, bugs me a little when I see something that doesn`t seem to work

Anyone got anything on this ? ? Been all through the Help Files and Knowledge Base but not found anything so far

Regards
    Rob
    I am confused by this......mostly fixating on the G10 line part.

They want you to be able to post their workshift info with a G10 line? Is this info set in stone and have they gave it to you?