587,480 active members*
3,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Super-PID new low-cost router speed controller
Page 108 of 121 85898106107108109110118
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2415
    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Try setting the spindle dir pin to 16 (port1).
    If that doesn't help, delete the file "linearity.dat" in Mach3\macros\Mach3mill\

If you do the sensor test with the SuperPID, do you get a range from 2-3 bars up to nearly 100%?
    I switched it to pin 16 and nothing. Deleted the file and still nothing.
    My range was about 15 bars to almost 100%. I tried to adjust it but if I got the bars close to 2-3 then it was only going to about 70% of the bars. I moved the sensor to achieve that.
    I give up already and I use knob.

Quote Originally Posted by shorton View Post
    Thanks ,yes, maybe it's OCD, but I'd liek to have it hooked up and displaying on the PC if it will do it. Do you use a Gecko G540 by chance? Trying to find out if the Tach output is compatible with the G540 input.
    Shorton,

I do not use the Gecko G540. I use the CNC4PC's C1R10 opto-isolated BOB. My Spindle DRO values are within 1% or better of the Super-PID RPM. It should work the same.
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

FYI, following up on earlier posts, I wired up the SuperPID Tach output to the Gecko 540 today. Worked fine through the UC-100 USB to Parallel controller. I now have RPM readout on the Mach 3 DRO. It's off from the SuperPID display by about 30-40rpm, but that's close enough I expect. It fluctuates almost as quick as the SuperPID display, not sure which to trust , but looking at it on screen is WAY more convenient for me than the superPID display. If I had it to do again, I'd consider no superPID display, would have been way easier to mount if not for the display. Something to think about anyway.

Also, I have the rpm on the SuperPID display pretty close to the requested (via g-code/Mach 3) RPM, also with a little fluctuating error.

So, all wiring worked as desired. For others use, here is the final version wiring diagram I used. I reposted a couple photos of the case that I stuffed the parts into (so you can see what the components on the wiring diagrams look like, and the photos would be here with the final photos).

Notes:
    - I added the recommended heat sink
    - I removed 2 sets of terminal blocks from the SuperPID and put them on the back side of the PCB in order to access them easier in this tight case. Wasn't comfortable with those AC wires that close to the side. Now they exit toward board center on the back side
    - The wire colors in the diagram are what I used. I stripped out an old data cable I had with lots of colors to pick from. Makes it easy to keep it all straight when wiring.

Hope this helps someone else since I didn't have a lot to go on when I started...

Hi all, I'm hoping for some help getting my SuperPID working right.

Basic info: Win XP, SmoothStepper USB, Super PID, Gecko G540, Mach3, all the latest drivers, plugins, etc.

Problem: Mach 3 turns the router on through the Super PID, but it only idles at 5,000 RPM, it won't increase the speed.

I've set the SuperPID up the usual way - Step Pin 14, Step Port 1, etc.

If I disconnect the P5 connection on the Super PID and make quick intermittent connections, the router speeds up a few thousand RPMs, then settles back down to 5000.

I suspect this is a configuration issue in Mach3...but I can't quite put my finger on the problem.

Would anyone be so kind as to post their SmoothStepper Config and Data Monitoring screens?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, this is becoming a bit frustrating.

Thanks in advance!
    --
    ck

Hello all,
    I am also having issues with my configuration. I am running mach3 --> ESS --> g540 --> super pid

I can use Mach3 to turn the router on just fine, however it runs my router at near max RPMs no matter what speed I set it to in mach3. I did a little troubleshooting with the multimeter and it seems that no matter what the output from pin 8 on the G540 is always at 4.5 volts even if I turn the spindle off in Mach3. It was my understanding that pin 8 voltage was supposed to vary from 0-5v depending on what speed you have set in Mach3.

So is my g540 broke, did I wire it wrong? Or am I missing a setting in mach3?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am also having issues with my configuration. I am running mach3 --> ESS --> g540 --> super pid I can use Mach3 to turn the router on just fine, however it runs my router at near max RPMs no matter what speed I set it to in mach3. I did a little troubleshooting with the multimeter and it seems that no matter what the output from pin 8 on the G540 is always at 4.5 volts even if I turn the spindle off in Mach3. It was my understanding that pin 8 voltage was supposed to vary from 0-5v depending on what speed you have set in Mach3. So is my g540 broke, did I wire it wrong? Or am I missing a setting in mach3? Thanks in advance! Sent from my iPad
    I know I've posted my Mach3/Super-PID configuration on CNCZone (but then maybe I always referred to my other forum post). Here is the link to my Mach3 Super-PID config with Mac3 screenshots, although be aware I do not use Gecko 540, but Mach3 settings should still be similar. You can access this post as a Guest and no login to the forum link below is required.

See: Build Your Tools ? View topic - Super PID

Also, parallel input/output ports on pins 2-9 are high-speed data ports (up to 1Mb/sec) and best reserved for stepper motor controls that benefit from a high-speed output. Output ports on pins 1, 14, 16 and 17 are more suitable for PWM signal inputs for motor speed controllers like the Super-PID. These four output pins have a maximum signal speed of 150Kb/sec. Since the pulse-width-modulation signal frequency for speed controllers is typically on the order of 50 or 60 Hertz, you won't be wasting a high-performance input/output port on a control signal that doesn't need that kind of bandwidth.

I hope this helps you resolve your issue.

Best,
    airnocker

Quote Originally Posted by airnocker View Post
    I know I've posted my Mach3/Super-PID configuration on CNCZone (but then maybe I always referred to my other forum post). Here is the link to my Mach3 Super-PID config with Mac3 screenshots, although be aware I do not use Gecko 540, but Mach3 settings should still be similar. You can access this post as a Guest and no login to the forum link below is required.

See: Build Your Tools ? View topic - Super PID

Also, parallel input/output ports on pins 2-9 are high-speed data ports (up to 1Mb/sec) and best reserved for stepper motor controls that benefit from a high-speed output. Output ports on pins 1, 14, 16 and 17 are more suitable for PWM signal inputs for motor speed controllers like the Super-PID. These four output pins have a maximum signal speed of 150Kb/sec. Since the pulse-width-modulation signal frequency for speed controllers is typically on the order of 50 or 60 Hertz, you won't be wasting a high-performance input/output port on a control signal that doesn't need that kind of bandwidth.

I hope this helps you resolve your issue.

Best,
    I was actually referring to pin 8 on the side of my g540 which isn't actually pin 8 on the parallel port. Thanks for the info though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I should have reviewed my familiarity with the Gecko G540 before I posted. My apologies.

The VFD output on pin 8 of the terminal block typically delivers a 0-10Vdc analog voltage based on having 10Vdc on Pin 9, and the 10Vdc GND on pin7. Up to 12Vdc can be applied to Pin9. So that is why you are not getting any meaningful voltage swing out of Pin 8.
    This added external voltage source is required since the VFD output is opto-isolated.

So if you go with a 10Vdc signal swing you need a "divide by 2" active circuit to yield 0-5Vdc for Super-PID. You could do a simple resistor voltage divider to GND on Pin 8 (feeding 10Vdc on Pin 9) consisting of two 470 Ohm, 1/4 watt series resistors, then feed the divider output to the Super-PID input. It would be best to buffer the divider output before sending to the "PID".

Although the CNCzone forum is a pain to do searches on, I know I've seen other discussions using the 540 for Super-PID speed control.

Here is a discussion I found back in 2010. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko_...super-pid.html

You will need to scroll down a ways to get to some useful "meat". But it did confirm that 8Vdc is the minimum that should be used for Pin 9, and that the 540's VFD output wasn't not intended to work at 0-5Vdc levels.
    airnocker

Yeah, I should have reviewed my familiarity with the Gecko G540 before I posted. My apologies.

The VFD output on pin 8 of the terminal block typically delivers a 0-10Vdc analog voltage based on having 10Vdc on Pin 9, and the 10Vdc GND on pin7. Up to 12Vdc can be applied to Pin9. So that is why you are not getting any meaningful voltage swing out of Pin 8.
    This added external voltage source is required since the VFD output is opto-isolated.

So if you go with a 10Vdc signal swing you need a "divide by 2" active circuit to yield 0-5Vdc for Super-PID. You could do a simple resistor voltage divider to GND on Pin 8 (feeding 10Vdc on Pin 9) consisting of two 470 Ohm, 1/4 watt series resistors, then feed the divider output to the Super-PID input. It would be best to buffer the divider output before sending to the "PID".

Although the CNCzone forum is a pain to do searches on, I know I've seen other discussions using the 540 for Super-PID speed control.

Here is a discussion I found back in 2010. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko_...super-pid.html

You will need to scroll down a ways to get to some useful "meat". But it did confirm that 8Vdc is the minimum that should be used for Pin 9, and that the 540's VFD output wasn't not intended to work at 0-5Vdc levels.
    I guess I am just a little confused about the fact that I thought the Super-Pid was compatible with the G540. Is everyone else with a G540 using resistors? Where do I get the 10Vdc from for Pin9? Do i need a separate 10V power supply?

My superPID is working perfectly wired directly to the G540, just posted the wiring diagram a few posts back. At first my router would "run away" above certain speeds, but after re-whiting my spindle so the Super PID had a full signal, it worked without issue. Don't know what ESS is.

Shorton, that's good to know. I looked at your wiring diagram and the one on Super-PID's web site here: http://www.vhipe.com/product-private...-Downloads.htm

It does indeed show 5v from Super-PID's Version2, P5 pin connecting to the G540's Pin 9. Maybe Gecko has revised the minimum voltage required on their VFD Pin 9.
    airnocker

Dunno. I do have a new G540. rev 8 IIRC.

Your initial post stated the "ESS" reference.
    I am running mach3 --> ESS --> g540 --> super pid
    airnocker

Your initial post stated the "ESS" reference.
    That was me, I am running the ESS. I have looked at the wiring diagrams and mine is wired correctly but I am still having issues. At this point I am wondering if my G540 is not functioning properly. I am waiting to hear back from Gecko Support. I am not sure why else pin 8 would always read 4.5V unless I have some Mach3 config issue.

Just wondered what ESS was.

Maybe Shorton will share some of his Mach3 config screenshots with you to confirm Mach3 is setup properly for the G540.
    airnocker

Just wondered what ESS was.

Maybe Shorton will share some of his Mach3 config screenshots with you to confirm Mach3 is setup properly for the G540.
    I think these 3-4 screens have everything that I changed related to this, remind me where else if I missed one.

Cheers, Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mach3settings.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by shorton View Post
    ... I now have RPM readout on the Mach 3 DRO. It's off from the SuperPID display by about 30-40rpm, but that's close enough I expect. It fluctuates almost as quick as the SuperPID display, not sure which to trust...
    Hi Shorton. The RPM display on the SuperPID itself if extremely accurate, it is crystal referenced and I wrote and tested the RPM algorithm myself so it is accurate to <50 parts per million. Basically it's accurate right down to the last digit, abd functions as a display independent to the PID system. The RPM display on the Mach3 screen will not be quite as accurate.

--------------------------
    To CarbonKevin; To get the G540 to control the speed of the router you need to wire the G540 three pins; 7,8,9 to the SuperPID as shown in this diagram;
    http://www.vhipe.com/product-private...onnections.png
    which shows you how to switch between manual speed control knob and the MAch3/G540 speed control.

If you just want to use Mach3/G540 speed control and not the knob, there is a simpler diagram on page 25 of the SuperPID v2 instruction PDF here;
    http://www.vhipe.com/product-private...structions.pdf

Regarding running the G540 VFD circuit from +5v instead of +10v, this was tested by a few people in the first few pages of this thread and people found the G540 VFD speed control worked fine with a 5v input, so it can be connected very simply (see page 25 of the Super-PID instruction PDF).

--------------------------
    To Allen00se (allen.krys); again please see the diagram linked above, or page 25 of the SuperPID instructions showing how to connect the three wires to the G540 VFD circuit.

The speed control voltage OUT of the G540 is on pin 8, and this voltage should vary from about 0v to almost 5v. It will vary in response to the spindle speed set in Mach3.

For that to work, Mach3 needs to be configured to send the spindle speed to the G540 on the correct parallel port pin. There is a lot of information early in this thread showing people's setups for G540 speed control.

Thank you Airnocker and Shorton for sharing your setup details and helping with tech support.
    I don't do much tech support here a tthe forum these days but Val at SuperPID.com is very good now with tech support direct from the [email protected] email address.

Hi Shorton. The RPM display on the SuperPID itself if extremely accurate, it is crystal referenced and I wrote and tested the RPM algorithm myself so it is accurate to <50 parts per million. Basically it's accurate right down to the last digit, abd functions as a display independent to the PID system. The RPM display on the Mach3 screen will not be quite as accurate.
    Excellent, good to know which to trust for definitive answer. Mine are very close now so nothing to worry about.

Along these lines, more for fine tuning than anyhing, I had tried running the spindle calibration routine from Mach3. If I set the RPM manually it followed right along. But if I choose automatic, Mach 3 starts low (lower than 5k min), and ramps up. As it ramps past 5k, there is no spindle speed change. Since spindle speed changes seem to work everywhere else, I figure this is a Marh 3 anomaly. Wondered if there was a workaround, or something I was doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    To Allen00se (allen.krys); again please see the diagram linked above, or page 25 of the SuperPID instructions showing how to connect the three wires to the G540 VFD circuit.

The speed control voltage OUT of the G540 is on pin 8, and this voltage should vary from about 0v to almost 5v. It will vary in response to the spindle speed set in Mach3.

For that to work, Mach3 needs to be configured to send the spindle speed to the G540 on the correct parallel port pin. There is a lot of information early in this thread showing people's setups for G540 speed control.

Thank you Airnocker and Shorton for sharing your setup details and helping with tech support.
    I don't do much tech support here a tthe forum these days but Val at SuperPID.com is very good now with tech support direct from the [email protected] email address.
    RomanLini,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply... I have triple checked my wiring and am 100% confident that it is wired correctly. Can anyone verify the setting in Mach3 which sets the VFD out? Thanks in Advance, I really don't know what else to try at this point other than getting another G540 to test with.

Attachment 218814

Attachment 218816

Attachment 218818

Attachment 218820

So i have done a little more troubleshooting, trying out different settings recommended to me for the ESS and for Mach3. Nothing makes the voltage reading on pin 8 of the G540 change from the 4.5V. I am beginning to think the G540 is the issue, I have even checked the voltage when Mach3 is shutdown and it is still 4.5V. Anyone a G540 guru? I have been emailing their support with no response.
    -Krys

--EDIT--
    I just removed the ESS from the equation and pin 8 on the G540 is still at 4.5v regardless of whether Mach3 is running or not. Anyone wanna lend me a G540 to test with? :-)

Page 108 of 121 85898106107108109110118