587,744 active members*
3,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Mentor or help needed central Michigan L.P.
Page 2 of 2 12
    There, wow! See how much help you get here.

Quote Originally Posted by 43220 View Post
    There, wow! See how much help you get here.

I sympathize with your predicament, but it is not help HERE you seem to be seeking, but help THERE.
    If there were alot more details of how you had made out so far, possibly with pics, it may help for someone to assist from a distance, possibly in one of the forums here.
    All the info so far, is you have some stuff you picked up on ebay?
    You appear to be looking for on the spot help which would mean someone in your very close area?
    If your willing to pay for services, look up a local electronics guru that could spend a couple of hours just to get you going in the right direction.
    2 years is a while to be in limbo!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I sympathize with your predicament, but it is not help HERE you seem to be seeking, but help THERE.
    If there were alot more details of how you had made out so far, possibly with pics, it may help for someone to assist from a distance, possibly in one of the forums here.
    All the info so far, is you have some stuff you picked up on ebay?
    You appear to be looking for on the spot help which would mean someone in your very close area?
    If your willing to pay for services, look up a local electronics guru that could spend a couple of hours just to get you going in the right direction.
    2 years is a while to be in limbo!
    Al.
    Wow - a response! Details? Did you bother to look at my lengthy thread under hot wire machine forum????

Look up a local electronics guru? OK, I've checked with several and they don't have a clue. A couple tried and couldn't do diddly.

AND GET THIS - went to a nearby university (did all you boys & girls hear that - A F**ING UNIVERSITY - WOW, MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, THOUSANDS OF STUDENTS, HUNDREDS IN THE FACULTY, HUGE BUILDINGS, THE PINNACLE OF KNOWLEDGE - asked around and was taken to (get this) THEIR TOP TECH PROFESSOR - (Dept. "Computer Networks and Systems; Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology" - all together now: WOW!!!!); told him (EXACTLY AND IN DETAIL) what kind of help I needed (hell, even showed him a stepper motor - gasp!). Musta walked 1/2 mile thru corridors with hundreds of lab science rooms loaded with all kinds of techy equipment and eager bright faced students.

He was nice, told me he would pass on my needs maybe to some graduate students. blah blah,...

RESULTS TO DATE!

NOTHING!!!!!!

I THINK MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE WTF IS APPROPRIATE HERE????

Sounds like you don't want help, you want someone to do it for you?
    "Stupid machines - they do exactly what you tell them!"

Helpless

I have read the entire post both on the cnc hot wire cutting forums and here and this is what I'm getting.

Hello I'm looking to build a hot wire cutter I currently use a manual hot wire cutter. I have never done anything with computer numerical control so the proven designs wont due I want to do it MY WAY. I no nothing of stepper motors, break out boards, wiring, mechanicals,or software. I have went to the big building with the word University wrote on the front and asked a professor for help. I have posted here on the forums for help. Nobody wants to come over to my house and do it for me. I'm willing to pay and still no one wants to help.

My suggestion would be to read up on the subject until your tired of reading then come back and read again. Get all the literature on all the components you have bought so far. Then attempt to do it yourself. Experience is the best teacher. Then before you plug it in post some pictures with your questions.
    Is the voice in my head bothering you?

AMEN!
    "Stupid machines - they do exactly what you tell them!"

Hello - well I've been away from this site for quite a while; busy with many things. Also since I couldn't get any real help here, had kind of given up.

RE: the previous post by brihoo2k - here's my corrected version:

Hello I'm looking to build a computerized hot wire cutter. I know little of computer numerical control. I know little about stepper motors, break out boards, wiring, mechanicals,or software. I have built a table with all the MECHANICAL elements needed. I have what I believe to be all the electronic and computer components needed - just need someone to help me figure out hooking all of this up and running the program. I have posted here on the forums for help. Have been unsucessful in getting someone to come over to my house and HELP (not "do it for me"). I'm willing to pay and still no one wants to help.

"My suggestion would be to read up on the subject until your tired of reading then come back and read again. Get all the literature on all the components you have bought so far. Then attempt to do it yourself. Experience is the best teacher. Then before you plug it in post some pictures with your questions."

To which I respond - I have a very active online business (which I need this machine for) - it takes up so much of my time that I am weeks behind filling customer orders. I DO NOT have the time NOR the aptitude to try and learn all I would need to sucessfully build a machine. ALSO doesn't make sense that I should spend several months at least trying to learn what is needed when there are some here obviously a LOT more knowledgeable on this subject then I will EVER be that could most likely have the machine up & running in DAYS instead of MONTHS.

So even some here can understand, it's kind of like your new car breaks down - so what do you do to fix it? Take several months to learn all about car repair and then try to fix it yourself? Or would the smarter choice be take it to someone that ALLREADY KNOWS how to fix it?

Believe me if I thought I could figure it out myself I would do it! But reading all the confusion there seems to be about this subject on this site PLUS I've had 2 different local electronics "gurus" (one had my stuff several months) that couldn't figure it out. If they can't, I sure figure I won't be able to also - and I have tried to understand it. I'm better at mechanics then electronics and computer stuff.

Another reason is when finished, I ONLY need the machine to run 2 programs - that's all!!

Some of you (at least) are here because you're in love with cnc and love learning and talking all about it. Well, there's another bunch of us here (I suspect) that don't really want to LEARN about it but just want to UTILIZE the technology. Guess which bunch I'm in?

If you don't care to help me, then just go away - I don't need snotty comments regarding my sincere and LENGTHY request for help.

This is the mentor and apprentice locator board where you are supposed to request help which is exactly what I'm doing.

Actually, forget it - it's easier for me to just hire somebody to make parts for me manually, the way I have done for many years, then to build a machine.

Customers are screaming for product - backlogged months - still looking for help - anyone? :wave:

I'm just north of Detroit, if I can help you I will just ask

IT is very tricky task to hire somebody for a particular project completion,you have to figured out the ways how to work on this.

Thanks
    smcin.com

Well if I were two thousand or so miles closer I'd look.
    Not that I've ever seen a hot wire machine before but I have been through the fun experience of figuring stuff out that's CNC based.
    Now I know you're asking for help THERE but perhaps you could involve us here VIA photos and so forth? (it's better than nothing )
    It's not like I have an engineering degree nor am I more than a year over twenty but when you cry and scream through various predicaments (over a few years) yet manage to get through them you tend to learn things.
    In the end if everything mechanical is done and the steppers are attached to the machine then getting things moving and being controlled doesn't seem like an issue.

Re: Mentor or help needed central Michigan L.P.

Still looking - can provide pictures and info privately on where I am at with the project - plus see thread under hot wire machines. Sort of got the machine working but have many "bugs" to work out.

Re: Mentor or help needed central Michigan L.P.

Guess what??

STILL LOOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 12