587,832 active members*
3,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Air Consumption on older Haas?

Hybrid View

Re: Air Consumption on older Haas?

After looking at some exploded diagrams and pictures I believe there is supposed to be one of those bronze filters in that port-that would explain why it is leaking so much-I have a brass fitting in there but its pretty much just a big hole.

Quote Originally Posted by evanse89 View Post
    After looking at some exploded diagrams and pictures I believe there is supposed to be one of those bronze filters in that port-that would explain why it is leaking so much-I have a brass fitting in there but its pretty much just a big hole.
    No, the bronze filter is just to limit the noise of the air coming out when it is supposed to. It will not prevent any leaks. You need to track the leak down, back trace it and fix it.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

That is the leak. Maybe the solenoid is stuck open as well as the muffler/filter missing-I will try to clean it as an interim fix while I order up a replacement.

While it was assembled I could reach in and cover that hole with my finger and trigger the drawbar (spring would compress) Doesn't that mean its working properly? That would mean that it was always open. If it is supposed to be that way then air should always be leaking through like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by evanse89 View Post
    That is the leak. Maybe the solenoid is stuck open as well as the muffler/filter missing-I will try to clean it as an interim fix while I order up a replacement.

While it was assembled I could reach in and cover that hole with my finger and trigger the drawbar (spring would compress) Doesn't that mean its working properly? That would mean that it was always open. If it is supposed to be that way then air should always be leaking through like it is.
    No, that is not right. The valve is stuck open it seems.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I pulled the solenoid apart, some chips had actually gotten into it through the missing filter (which I found buried in a pile of chips) so I cleaned those and replaced the filter.
    When I turn the machine on now it is substantially quieter, but air is still always flowing through that port.
    Has anyone taken that switch apart? The piston in "middle" block which triggers the plunger moves maybe <.020" but the plunger needs to move >.100" is it supposed to be that way? It looks like it may use air pressure to move the piston. Using air to switch on air seems kind of silly...

A lot of air solenoids are designed so that the electrical solenoid only switches a very small amount of air and then that small amount of air actually moves the valve (by a piston or diaphragm). That allows a much smaller solenoid which is cheaper and consumes less power.

That jives with what I'm seeing.
    I popped the cover off of the VF3 at work just to see what it does and it is definitely not the same as mine. When sitting idle there is no air coming out of that port, and when it performs a tool change I can feel a quick burst of air.
    On mine there is always some air leaking, but when I perform a tool change it does the big burst; it seems to me like the switch is working just not 100% right. I reset the small regulator to 12(ish) PSI, is there anything else that could be preventing the switch from working correctly or should I just bite the bullet and order a replacement?