587,118 active members*
2,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Invitation To Start An Open Source Path Pilot Group

Hybrid View

Re: Invitation To Start An Open Source Path Pilot Group

If Path Pilot is just LinuxCNC with a different interface, then why don't you just start with LinuxCNC and build your own version?? The Path Pilot trajectory planner is already in LinuxCNC.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If Path Pilot is just LinuxCNC with a different interface, then why don't you just start with LinuxCNC and build your own version?? The Path Pilot trajectory planner is already in LinuxCNC.
    Well, there are many ways to skin the cat. It is my impression, however, that if I start from LinuxCNC 2.7 I would need to reinvent the wheel and find all the configuration parameters for the PCNC1100. Since Path Pilot already contains all of these values, I can save on that step.

Allow me to say that I am not the ultimate expert on this area. And what I have seen is that the great majority of us are really not super connoisseurs either. Which is why I think this needs to be a community effort, regardless of whether we do this with LinuxCNC or PathPilot. Way much more questions than answers!

Has anybody shared a PCNC1100 config file for LinuxCNC? This could easily be a nice startup course of action to consider!
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    I would need to reinvent the wheel and find all the configuration parameters for the PCNC1100
    I downloaded 2.7 last night and ran the live version, there were setup templates listed for the Tormach pcnc machines.

I think in the end PP was the "cheapest" option for Tormach to do, take the O/S Linuxcnc, fix the TP to give back to the community, add a front end with some bells and your done. i think they noted on the site there was no future with Mach( maybe phrased differently). No sw updates, lack of hw supply, ect. They could of tried to source another "finished" control package(Eding or whatever), but that would cost them more and/or cost their customers more)

+1
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

That got a chuckle out of me.