587,082 active members*
2,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > Open source low cost servomotor controller

Hybrid View

Re: Open source low cost servomotor controller

There is a way to put a encoder in this config , or i don't see one .
    Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Andreiir View Post
    There is a way to put a encoder in this config , or i don't see one .
    Thanks .
    Yeah, the encoders plug into the top right part of the board.

Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but whats the progress here?

I am doing some research around safety with CNC machines, and this interests me because it seems it would have the capability to detect when it has hit a foreign object, potentially allowing it to stop if it hits an errant hand before crushing it. Obviously this will only work for machines which have a fairly predictable load/friction, but considering most fingers can withstand 500N briefly before suffering permanent damage, and most CNC machines don't use anywhere near that much feed force, we might be able to design a machine which won't cut your fingers off accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassing View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but whats the progress here?

I am doing some research around safety with CNC machines, and this interests me because it seems it would have the capability to detect when it has hit a foreign object, potentially allowing it to stop if it hits an errant hand before crushing it. Obviously this will only work for machines which have a fairly predictable load/friction, but considering most fingers can withstand 500N briefly before suffering permanent damage, and most CNC machines don't use anywhere near that much feed force, we might be able to design a machine which won't cut your fingers off accidentally.
    Yes, this should be quite straightforward with ODrive. I already plan to do automatic machine mass/friction identification, and to use model based feed-forward for most of the control action. So it should be possible to look at the tracking error to identify if there are any major disturbance forces, and hence take action.

The ABB YuMi robot, that I was working on a few years ago, has a similar feature.

The time has finally come for the manufacturing run of ODrive v3.1. They are now on the way, and should arrive early to mid January.

At this stage, around 20 board kits are going out the people who signed up to the "Inital development" phase. They have not been all allocated yet, you can signup here.

Since the boars are going out to just a small group of early developers, I will have the time to personally get you up to speed with the codebase and help to get going with the hardware. Then, together, we can prepare some stuff that is a bit more stable and a bit more documented for when the alpha testing begins.

The cost for me to get this small batch of boards manufactured was $96 per board, so that is the amount I need to ask for a kit, plus shipping.

The kit involves basically everything seen in the above picture, and consists of:

• ODrive v3.1
    • USB Programmer
    • A set of the optional large gauge wire screw terminals
    • A set of pin headers
    • Some nylon standoffs

I hope that ODrive will be able to help you make an awesome robotics project, thank you so much for your contribution to helping people have access to open robotics hardware and software.

Totally Awesome

Macdowswe,

Your work is totally awesome, even better than a triple chocolate custard filled bismark!

I would also like to thank Websrvr for all his generous contributions and personally wish him happy holidays.
    Santa will visit soon and all the children will be happy too.
    Live from downtown Burbank home of the world famous Christmas Kringle.
    JoeyB

Quote Originally Posted by macdowswe View Post

The time has finally come for the manufacturing run of ODrive v3.1. They are now on the way, and should arrive early to mid January.

At this stage, around 20 board kits are going out the people who signed up to the "Inital development" phase. They have not been all allocated yet, you can signup here.

Since the boars are going out to just a small group of early developers, I will have the time to personally get you up to speed with the codebase and help to get going with the hardware. Then, together, we can prepare some stuff that is a bit more stable and a bit more documented for when the alpha testing begins.

The cost for me to get this small batch of boards manufactured was $96 per board, so that is the amount I need to ask for a kit, plus shipping.

The kit involves basically everything seen in the above picture, and consists of:

• ODrive v3.1
    • USB Programmer
    • A set of the optional large gauge wire screw terminals
    • A set of pin headers
    • Some nylon standoffs

I hope that ODrive will be able to help you make an awesome robotics project, thank you so much for your contribution to helping people have access to open robotics hardware and software.
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.