587,629 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Aluminum Chip Welding

A real help is to get a larger pneumatic drip oiler, like for air tools, and plumb that in your air stream. Fill with low grade olive oil and set the oil drip to something like once every 15 seconds or so. You may have to play with nozzle diameters. Think we ended up at about a .100 diameter hole in the nozzle. Built one for my father, and my buddy took my idea and did it on his tormach. Works just as good as the 600 micro drop systems for less than $50. We played with veggie oil, but it has a rancid smell when misted. And a bonus, no rust and a super easy to clean machine.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    A real help is to get a larger pneumatic drip oiler, like for air tools, and plumb that in your air stream. Fill with low grade olive oil and set the oil drip to something like once every 15 seconds or so. You may have to play with nozzle diameters. Think we ended up at about a .100 diameter hole in the nozzle. Built one for my father, and my buddy took my idea and did it on his tormach. Works just as good as the 600 micro drop systems for less than $50. We played with veggie oil, but it has a rancid smell when misted. And a bonus, no rust and a super easy to clean machine.

I would venture a guess that you're getting chip welding because you're feeding in the wrong direction.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I would venture a guess that you're getting chip welding because you're feeding in the wrong direction.
    Both the roughing pass and the finishing pass was done with climb milling (left). Which direction do you suggest?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Both the roughing pass and the finishing pass was done with climb milling (left). Which direction do you suggest?
    If you're climb cutting any still getting chip welding, then it's got to be a coolant issue.

I don't use anything but SwissLube Blazocut 2000 Universal in my machine and I don't have any issues with it.

I pay about $160.00 for a 5 gallon pail and I run it at about a 8% concentration.

If you're using a spray coolant, you might try turning up the air pressure to blow ships away or add more lubricant.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post

This is a fantastic idea!!!! I have been messing with several DIY microdrop coolant concepts with marginal success (currently working on a step motor pump concept). This one is so simple that I never gave it a thought until now. I have a new drip oiler in the drawer so going to dig it out now. I love simple solutions.....

A photo would be great.

Thank you!
    Robert