587,896 active members*
3,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Pathpilot & Arduino

No its not a keyboard emulator, which I think most current joysticks/controllers are doing, I actually was originally going that route. But I started thinking about other projects I wanted to do and ended up going a different direction that allows for more flexibility. A lot of Pathpilot modification, unfortunately, but its fun!

Btw... Tormach/Pathpilot did a great job on commenting in their source, had me laughing several times actually, its worth a peek even if its only for comedic relief!

Pete
    adaptedcnc

So you wrote a user space USB module like the one for the Tormach Jog Shuttle or...? I'm looking at some of the same needs as you and would love to exchange your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    So you wrote a user space USB module like the one for the Tormach Jog Shuttle or...? I'm looking at some of the same needs as you and would love to exchange your ideas.
    Actually, for development I am just running serial for everything, similar to what I think Tormach does with their USB i/o kit. It may be the lazy approach, or slower than HAL, but I just can't see myself hardwiring (or upgrading/adding a card) every time I want additional i/o. I'd rather just throw a cheap arduino or whatever at it. Plus from what I am seeing, overrides are all done inside of pathpilot ui, not linuxcnc. I've got all the overrides (maxvel, spindle, feed) all tied to physical knobs now, which was my original goal. I'll get the project cleaned up and in an enclosure and post some video.

Shoot me a pm if you want to exchange ideas, another user has already reached out. The goal with this project is to open the doors for others, especially my own. I am just getting into the guts of linuxcnc and pathpilot... I am sure I still have a lot to learn.

Pete
    adaptedcnc

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    No its not a keyboard emulator, which I think most current joysticks/controllers are doing, I actually was originally going that route. But I started thinking about other projects I wanted to do and ended up going a different direction that allows for more flexibility. A lot of Pathpilot modification, unfortunately, but its fun!

Btw... Tormach/Pathpilot did a great job on commenting in their source, had me laughing several times actually, its worth a peek even if its only for comedic relief!

Pete
    adaptedcnc
    Now you got me wanting to take some time over the Holidays just to read through the source code. I admire people who code using "real" comment language versus corporate dictated rigidity :-).