Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
I have personally exploded a GT3-127T-12 GRN pulley spinning at 12,000RPM
Um. Checking the Gates Powergrip GT3 Drive Design Manual I find that the 3 HP rating is no problem at all, but they don't spec beyond 10k RPM. Even lower RPM for the bigger tooth spacings. Could be outside the official specs?

Cheers
Roger
When I was told the HP was in spec and it was suggested the RPM was acceptable even though it exceeded it by 20%, stopping abruptly with this pulley was more than it could handle.
it's since been changed from the large pulleys to a multi-stage pulley design where the combined sets of pulleys are significantly smaller yet achieve the same ratio and only marginally noisier.

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
so I think you meant to reference 26LV32D or 26LV32NS
Too much shorthand. Sorry.
I was thinking of how to make a common low-cost single-ended encoder drive 12 m of wire reliably. The use of a 26LV31E as a driver 'sort of' implies the use of a matching receiver, with the 26LV32 being the obvious choice. I carry both in stock.
The Avago etc 500 line (2000 ppr) encoders are very common, and I have been using them for .. um ... 30 years now? (Starting with their original incarnation as a HEDS unit from HP.) I find them very accurate and reliable. Plenty of similar units suitable for the LOW-BUDGET home hobbiest.

Extra PCB - true. But I make my own PCBs on the mill anyhow, and I don't mind knocking out a few for my own use. Could work out more expensive if you have to buy them.

Cheers
Roger
Yes admirable however, not everyone has the ability to create PCB's for a powered cable extender or a differential encoder conversion board.

I like 10,000 pulses per rev from my encoders so 2500ppr quads are my preference but agree, 2000 pulses is more than acceptable for any application requiring some precision in it's movement.

One of the unmentioned modifications that was discussed by my friend and I tend to agree is I/we see no reason why this driver should be restricted to 24VDC and a 144W 24V BLDC motor due to voltage/current (24VDC/6A) limitations or can't be used with a 60VDC power source to drive a 300W 60V (10A peak) BLDC motor by making a few component changes and adding a buck to drop it to 12VDC for the rest of the driver. but this is unlikely to be done to the public released version so if you want to use some power, follow the thread for reference and modify and produce the design as you need remembering to credit macdowse for his work and efforts.

There is a large selection of SOIC-8 FETS that work under higher voltages with relatively low IRDs making heat a non issue, buck converters and switching PSU chips are inexpensive and require minimal parts to implement such as the LM2596HVS-12 (60VDC to 12VDC) so 60V/10A shouldn't be an issue to achieve in an already fantastic design.