587,089 active members*
2,972 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 2.5-3" face/shell mill?

What I use most is a 2.75" 5-insert tool I got from, I think, Shars. It had a 3/4" shank and I converted it to TTS so I can use it in my ATC. The other is a 4", 6-insert Glacern, with R-8 shank. The Glacern is great, but only gets used where I really need the large size, which is not often.

Regards,
    Ray L.

What inserts do these face mills use (SEHT or...)? Usual DoC and rpm and feed?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    What inserts do these face mills use (SEHT or...)? Usual DoC and rpm and feed?
    Polished SEHT inserts are used for non-ferrous metals, SEHW for ferrous metals. Not cheap at $10-15 each, but they last a loooooooong time if you take care of them.

On 6061, I usually run 3500 RPM, 30 IPM, up to 0.050 DOC.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Polished SEHT inserts are used for non-ferrous metals, SEHW for ferrous metals. Not cheap at $10-15 each, but they last a loooooooong time if you take care of them.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks! That recipe is with 5 inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Thanks! That recipe is with 5 inserts?
    Yes, I would never run with fewer inserts, unless I broke one or more and simply didn't have replacement on-hand. As I said, nothing to be gained.

Regards,
    Ray L.

FWIW,
    I use several Aluminum specific high MRR tools depending on the application. I've had to do some big chunks (7" diameter x 3" deep 4" x 4" pocket) and I'm always in a rush to get parts out, so looking for the max MRR possible. My 3 goto roughers (below, left to right).
    Ripper Shell mill 2" diameter, 4 flute). $300.00 + $20ish for the R8 (Shars 3/4" arbor). Shell mill comes with 10 inserts and tool.
    AB tools shear hog 3/4" Shank .787 cutting diameter ~100.00 + $10 for the aluminum slip collar (mcmaster carr)
    Maritool 1/2" 3 flute serrated ZRN coated rougher.$60 + R8 collet (Shars)

Typical MRR for 6061-T6 is ~ 3 cubes per HP. All of these can do 5 cubes at max spindle load on my Novakon. Actually the single flute shear hog can do the advertised 6 cubes a minute, but the interrupted cut is horrifically loud at that rate, so I run lower especially when I have > 3" stick out.
    Both the Ripper and the Shear hog leave a really nice finish on the face.
    The Maritool is my choice for pockets under 1.25". I love the way that thing can blast through roughing without any drama. It makes tiny chips that are easy to flush out with flood coolant, but it also make tiny chips that can get into everything :-).

Full disclosure.. I run massive flood cooling in the mentioned roughing operations.

Attachment 398820

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    People run that big a cutter in TTS? I’d be afraid of it loosening in the holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have the Maritool 3 1/4” 6-insert on a modified shars r-8 holder with tts slip-fit ring. Several videos on YouTube on how to make it
    Works great with 3-inserts

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I have the Maritool 3 1/4” 6-insert on a modified shars r-8 holder with tts slip-fit ring. Several videos on YouTube on how to make it
    Works great with 3-inserts
    Think it was your thread that I read, regrading using only half the inserts.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Are they postive or negative rake? Been looking at the pros/cons of neg/postive

What I use for aluminum are the SEHT43 Grade X83 from here: https://www.glacern.com/fm45

They LOOK like the SEHX from here: https://www.carbideanddiamondtooling...illing.Inserts The face and edges are ground, and surface polished to a mirror finish.

Regards,
    Ray L.

What I use for aluminum are the SEHT43 Grade X83 from here: https://www.glacern.com/fm45

They LOOK like the SEHX from here: https://www.carbideanddiamondtooling...illing.Inserts The face and edges are ground, and surface polished to a mirror finish.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray, SEHX is polished to a mirror finish on the insert it self. How does this insert perform? Mirror like finish on the part's surface?

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Ray, SEHX is polished to a mirror finish on the insert it self. How does this insert perform? Mirror like finish on the part's surface?
    Yes, and the SEHT43 Grade X83 I linked to are ALSO polished to a mirror finish, unlike the SEHTs pictured on that other site. In 6061, I get a very-near-mirror finish.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Those are the inserts used by Tormach for their Superfly and there have been numerous postings about the quality of the finish.

end up going with a Mistubshi ASX445 3" 4 insert. Buy 20 inserts and get the face mill for free. See some incredible finish with this tool/inserts.

- - - Updated - - -

end up going with a Mistubshi ASX445 3" 4 insert. Buy 20 inserts and get the face mill for free. See some incredible finish with this tool/inserts.

Page 2 of 2 12