Quote Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
So are you happy with your choice (size) of machine? Did you get an accuracy report with it?

Why are you replacing the spindle motor? What can you do with a servo drive there you could not do simply controlling the spindle speed?

Keep posting updates, very interested in this as I will be converting a similar sized machine though probably from a different factory in China so no idea how the build quality will compare.

I would be interested in a test for me if you could, place a dial indicator on a shaft (like top part of a drill chuck) in the spindle in the X direction and standing in front of the machine push the chuck left and right, do you get deflection? How much? Then repeat for Y. On my current mill I got 0.04mm in both directions, I adjusted the Gibs and preload on the spindle and got it down to 0.02mm but I'm hoping this PM30 sized machine is a lot stiffer/better a lot comes down to the machining of the dovetails and surprisingly while my spindle was not loose, adding more preload stiffened it up quite a bit. I can post a video on YouTube how to do this if it's a bit confusing?
Since I am new to milling, I have ordered mostly Chinesium tools and acessories such as end mills tool holders etc.. based on finish quality, appearance and initial fit and finsh, and comparing them to my other Chinesium purchases, the PM30 is very solid and I am super happy. It feels heavy and solid, the finish quality on machined surfaces look and feel really good.

The one very disappointing part was documentation. No quality or accuracy report. The manual seem to be for a different machine and even has subtitles with "lathe" in them. I will be calling PM about this.

As for Servo spindle, I have a longer objective to add a fourth axis and have the machine totally software controlled. Besides rigid tapping, Acorn will manage spindle speed variation when needed. I initially was going the VFD route, but I could not find a VFD that has single phase in / single phase out 220 AC. I decided to go the route of servo spindle. It will become handy if/when I decide to replace the spindle for much higher rpm's.

This a hobby for now. So building a cnc machine without prior experience is the challenge and objective. I have no idea what I will be machining early on. I hope to become good at this by the time I retire and start some sort of a small business. I have a southbend 9 on which I did a total tear down and rebuild. It is almost done too. To finsh answering your question about the servo spindle, it is not about what I want to do now, but rather what the machine is capable of years down the road, when I retire.

As for you final question, the head is removed already. I will clamp it to the x table, extend the spindle and measure selection as you mentioned. As soon as I can.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk