588,490 active members*
3,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Dmm Servo Spindle Setup Mach 3

Hybrid View

Re: Dmm Servo Spindle Setup Mach 3

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Others are using the same servo motor as you are and I don't think anyone has had a problem of reaching max motor speed you can work with the drive gearing to lower the step rate
    Seems there are a few that have started with the step and direction option, kind of get working, and end up using the analog input route via a pwm to analog convertor.
    2000 steps per rev is the lowest electronic gearing allows.

Quote Originally Posted by HCE View Post
    2000 steps per rev is the lowest electronic gearing allows.

I think that depends on which firmware rev. you have, the newer systems are 500 minimum. All of the ones that I have bought in the last 1.5 years have been 500 minimum.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I think that depends on which firmware rev. you have, the newer systems are 500 minimum. All of the ones that I have bought in the last 1.5 years have been 500 minimum.
    Maybe I am reading the instructions wrong or theses are old instructions, but I understand 500 to be gear number.

Electronic Gearing ( GEAR_NUM Parameter )
    Gear number (Gear_Num) is set from 500 to 16,384, default value is 4,096. Gear number provides an
    electrical gear ratio: 4096 / Gear_Num, from 0.25 ~ 8.192. For example, if Gear number = 4,096, then
    16,384 input counts from pulse will turn motor exactly one revolution. If Gear number = 500, 2,000 pulses
    will turn motor one revolution. Gear number parameter is only applicable to position servo mode.

Quote Originally Posted by HCE View Post
    Maybe I am reading the instructions wrong or theses are old instructions, but I understand 500 to be gear number.

Electronic Gearing ( GEAR_NUM Parameter )
    Gear number (Gear_Num) is set from 500 to 16,384, default value is 4,096. Gear number provides an
    electrical gear ratio: 4096 / Gear_Num, from 0.25 ~ 8.192. For example, if Gear number = 4,096, then
    16,384 input counts from pulse will turn motor exactly one revolution. If Gear number = 500, 2,000 pulses
    will turn motor one revolution. Gear number parameter is only applicable to position servo mode.
    I stand corrected. You are correct. I misunderstood the manual.

I've never actually tried to run one of DMM servos with Mach3. The only step & direction install I have done was using a high speed motion controller, good for 3MHz step output, so no problems. All of the others were analog control.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I was hoping someone could tell me what settings I need to put in for the dmmdrv tuning software, ess plugin settings, and what i need to do exactly in mach 3. Basically a setup for dummies.. I read Gerry's post, but are there other things that need to be checked or unchecked etc. in mach 3?

I stand corrected. You are correct. I misunderstood the manual.

I've never actually tried to run one of DMM servos with Mach3. The only step & direction install I have done was using a high speed motion controller, good for 3MHz step output, so no problems. All of the others were analog control.
    The Smooth Stepper he is using is good for 4MHz so he will have not problem with any speed of his motor
    Mactec54

They have always been 500 from day one
    Mactec54

I figured out how to get it to work.

-I got another DMM breakout board
    -Attached ribbon cable from ESS port 3 to dmm BOB
    -connected cable going from Dyn4 drive to X axis connector plug on new dmm BOB.
    -Set port and pins for spindle to port 3 pin ( whatever the dmm bob pins are for step and direction for x axis)
    -To get the rpm to be correct I had to go to motor tuning in mach 3 and adjust that acc/velocity graph.
    -There a couple things I think I had to also change in ess config page in mach 3
    - Also was able to connect a cnc4pc pulse indexer to c10 bob so mach 3 can show rpm.

Tomorrow I can take pics of relevant screens

Quote Originally Posted by usmarine21m View Post
    I figured out how to get it to work.

-I got another DMM breakout board
    -Attached ribbon cable from ESS port 3 to dmm BOB
    -connected cable going from Dyn4 drive to X axis connector plug on new dmm BOB.
    -Set port and pins for spindle to port 3 pin ( whatever the dmm bob pins are for step and direction for x axis)
    -To get the rpm to be correct I had to go to motor tuning in mach 3 and adjust that acc/velocity graph.
    -There a couple things I think I had to also change in ess config page in mach 3
    - Also was able to connect a cnc4pc pulse indexer to c10 bob so mach 3 can show rpm.

Tomorrow I can take pics of relevant screens
    Cool glad you got it figured out look forward to seeing your configuration I'm sure it will help someone else
    Mactec54

Attachment 437898
    pulley ratio is 2:1 or 1:2 I for got how that goes... (pulley on servo motor is twice the size of pulley on spindle)
    Attachment 437900
    Attachment 437902
    Attachment 437904
    Attachment 437906

Under dmm bob in center is another dmm bob, and under that is the ESS
    Attachment 437908