587,553 active members*
3,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: #9 spindle fault

Hoping Someone is still checking these old posts rather than start a new one and id like to keep the information here. After long searching this seems to be the closest thread to the issue were dealing with on our VMC15. The Baldor Inverter does throw a fault however I can manually control the spindle from the keypad and it functions fine that way however if i try to run a program it wont rotate the spindle at all even for a tool change. The encoder was replaced a couple months ago so that is ruled out. I suspect it must either be the fault line wire to the spindle card or the card itself, or the interface pcb at the inverter. The wiring appears fine on visual inspection however i need to get a longer cable for my DVOM to check its continuity. Has anyone seen this before where the inverter still functions from the touch pad without machine running a program? I'm considering swapping the spindle card and i believe our 4020 has the same card so i could remove it and test but i need to verify part number that before i risk damage to a card from a functional machine. Perhaps it could still be an inverter issue is why i'm asking i don't know exactly how it all works to narrow it down further. I did obtain a manual for the inverter but it will take me a few weeks to read through it all. What was the result of the few others i read here that had error 9? Did you guys end up replacing the inverter?

Quote Originally Posted by logos View Post
    I purchased a Fadal some time back for home shop. It has been used about a dozen or so times in past few months always ran fine. Today I was running a part and when came to tool change it z up and stopped. No fault showed, but would not change tool. I went to manual and joged to cs. manual input tool change and faulted. I turned off and restarted tool changed manual input. I deleted drill so no programed tool change. No tool in spindle started program tool changed ran profile of part comped off z up stopped again. It turned off spindle but coased to stop faulted again.
    What do you think?
    Logos

I checked fault line continuity to J9 connector on the main board and its good. I replaced the spindle "on" ice cube relay to rule it out and when i go into MDI and command M3 i get axis controller card no response. It is no longer giving me error 9 now that it doesnt operate through the control. i can only suspect while the card was intermittent that it was causing the error 9. I dont know where J9 connector goes other than i can only presume its a contact point for the spindle control card. Is it possible to manually swap tools and turn the spindle on through inverter and still run a program or will the cards lack of response toss an error anyways? Is it just looking for an encoder signal? perhaps that part of the board is still functioning so i can at least run single tool operations until i can get it repaired? Thanks.

Another Update. After swapping the 1010-4 spindle card from our 4020 to the VMC15 the machine appears to be operating flawlessly. All too often though i've seen coincidences where the issue comes back later. I tried reseating the board and it didnt work. The irony is the VMC 15 board is running in the 4020 now. This has me a little perplexed other than i noticed that the Intel 16 bit chip was excessively hot and pulled it from the board, cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in before trying it on the 4020. I would think any processor would normally get warm though i suppose a bad contact could cause an overheat and malfunction issue. That's it for now we will see how it goes after running it awhile. Fingers crossed that the issue was found. No doubt Fadal machines seem to be filled with ghosts.

Well it was short lived. Same issue again. There are a few other things i suspect causing the problem i dont believe the machine is setup correct. This is a used machine we took in a few months ago and the build sheet behind the pendent door says its a 10,000 hi/low system however whenever we ran it above 7500 we would get issues where it wouldnt stop the spindle and fault out. We also have a double pulley system and wye delta relays in the rear cabinet with rigid tapping. It seems someone may have changed things over time or the factory sheet is incorrect. i noticed i bumped the spindle overide pot beyond 100% which explains why things started acting up. anyways i should probably look to another post related to these other issues since i suspect it needs to be alleviated before proceeding further.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    Well it was short lived. Same issue again. There are a few other things i suspect causing the problem i dont believe the machine is setup correct. This is a used machine we took in a few months ago and the build sheet behind the pendent door says its a 10,000 hi/low system however whenever we ran it above 7500 we would get issues where it wouldnt stop the spindle and fault out. We also have a double pulley system and wye delta relays in the rear cabinet with rigid tapping. It seems someone may have changed things over time or the factory sheet is incorrect. i noticed i bumped the spindle overide pot beyond 100% which explains why things started acting up. anyways i should probably look to another post related to these other issues since i suspect it needs to be alleviated before proceeding further.
    I have the s same problem but get #10 Spindle overload.
    Spindle runs for about 20min before it either stops mid cut or won't restart. Runs from keypad flawlessly. I have verified I am getting a good signal from pin 9 and 10 (enable and reverse) but under cnc control it plays up but only when commanding an m3. M4 works flawlessly under cnc command.
    Basically it would seem my investor has an issues with the remote section of the drive.
    Looks like a new investor for me but might get this one repaired if I can.
    I have 2 machines so a spare would be handy to have in stock.

Mine will do the error #10 every once in awhile. The inverter works fine from the manual keypad.
    I usually pull the coax cable out of the spindle axis cad and reseat it and the problem goes away for a long time.
    All the bullet connectors on this machine are fairly loose fitting. I've tried to snug the fit up some and it seemed to help.

BTW, Mine had a Freqol from the factory but had the Baldor when I got it. It's the 10k 20hp.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Deano7/11 View Post
    I have the s same problem but get #10 Spindle overload.
    Spindle runs for about 20min before it either stops mid cut or won't restart. Runs from keypad flawlessly. I have verified I am getting a good signal from pin 9 and 10 (enable and reverse) but under cnc control it plays up but only when commanding an m3. M4 works flawlessly under cnc command.
    Basically it would seem my investor has an issues with the remote section of the drive.
    Looks like a new investor for me but might get this one repaired if I can.
    I have 2 machines so a spare would be handy to have in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    It seems someone may have changed things over time or the factory sheet is incorrect.
    ..this might help ya...then double check SETP for the type Baldor drive you have installed.
    https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/T..._Inverters.pdf