587,913 active members*
3,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > X AXIS Freezes and all other axis keep moving

Hybrid View

Re: X AXIS Freezes and all other axis keep moving

CFandZ, Quite interesting. I have had the same problem since 5/2020 when I bought the machine. Some of the following notes may be helpful to you in diagnosis.

Here is what I discovered:
    Stepper motor with factory damaged winding, I took it apart and saw it.
    Swapped motors and the problem went from Z axis to the X axis.
    Then the problem started again on the Z after getting new parts.
    Last night it started again on the Z.

Each cycle has resulted in Avid giving me new parts. Since it is intermittent, assurance of a fix is uncertain. They gave me: 1) new control box, 2) new drivers, 3) 2 new motors and a cable

It is hard to be certain what is up, I know moving a defective motor moved the problem (along with seeing the winding damage plainly).

Feel free to follow my document on the malfunction, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    The document reads from bottom upward chronologically. I welcome any conclusions you may infer after comparing the events.

Hello Insect, looks like you have been through the wringer with this problem. Well today I was doing a probing action and again my X axis stopped, All my other axis and mach 4 kept going. I opened up the control box and the top controller was flashing red. No power was going to the motor. I checked the wire but didn't see an issue. The only thing that fixed it was cycling the power. Everything appears to be tight and secure in the box. I think I'll send Avid an email and see what they recommend. This problem is costing me money

Quote Originally Posted by Insect View Post
    CFandZ, Quite interesting. I have had the same problem since 5/2020 when I bought the machine. Some of the following notes may be helpful to you in diagnosis.

Here is what I discovered:
    Stepper motor with factory damaged winding, I took it apart and saw it.
    Swapped motors and the problem went from Z axis to the X axis.
    Then the problem started again on the Z after getting new parts.
    Last night it started again on the Z.

Each cycle has resulted in Avid giving me new parts. Since it is intermittent, assurance of a fix is uncertain. They gave me: 1) new control box, 2) new drivers, 3) 2 new motors and a cable

It is hard to be certain what is up, I know moving a defective motor moved the problem (along with seeing the winding damage plainly).

Feel free to follow my document on the malfunction, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    The document reads from bottom upward chronologically. I welcome any conclusions you may infer after comparing the events.
    I just looked at your video. I don't know if it is your issue but I know vacuums can create static electricity. I know when I was using a dust collection system I had to ground it. I know it will be messy but it may be worth trying a few runs without your vacuum hose.