587,593 active members*
3,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 1.5 kw spindle motor trips out on internal motor overload

Hybrid View

Re: 1.5 kw spindle motor trips out on internal motor overload

Took both of my spindle motors to a very reputable electric motor repair shop where they were meggered and found to be in good condition with no faults indicated. Does that let the spindle motors off the hook? Not 100%, but consider two identical motors exhibiting the identical behaviour when powering up with the VFD. Highly unlikely that the motors are the issue.

Yes, the cabling that I was using is crap and I intended to replace it. The conductors are copper coated aluminum (ugh!) Try soldering that crap. So, I pulled the VFD out of the cabinet and pulled the spindle motor off the router and placed it in a cradle alongside the VFD. I connected the motor to the VFD with 16 AWG stranded copper wire. There is no way that the cabling is an issue! Remember also that it ran the motors just fine before I "upgraded" the drive.

I agree with your logic of using a 2.2KW drive. My bad for linking a 1.5KW motor with a 1.5KW VFD. It appears to me that you have considerable experience with Huanygang drives since you are recommending them. That will be my next order of business, but first............

I contacted the supplier of the TECO Westinghouse drive and registered a claim based on the fact that it will not drive my motors. The fact that it is rated at 7.5 amps could prove to be a stumbling block. I'll remember to bring home the clamp on ammeter tomorrow to see how much current the drive is pulling.

Once again, I really appreciate your assistance with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BertZ View Post
    Took both of my spindle motors to a very reputable electric motor repair shop where they were meggered and found to be in good condition with no faults indicated. Does that let the spindle motors off the hook? Not 100%, but consider two identical motors exhibiting the identical behaviour when powering up with the VFD. Highly unlikely that the motors are the issue.

Yes, the cabling that I was using is crap and I intended to replace it. The conductors are copper coated aluminum (ugh!) Try soldering that crap. So, I pulled the VFD out of the cabinet and pulled the spindle motor off the router and placed it in a cradle alongside the VFD. I connected the motor to the VFD with 16 AWG stranded copper wire. There is no way that the cabling is an issue! Remember also that it ran the motors just fine before I "upgraded" the drive.

I agree with your logic of using a 2.2KW drive. My bad for linking a 1.5KW motor with a 1.5KW VFD. It appears to me that you have considerable experience with Huanygang drives since you are recommending them. That will be my next order of business, but first............

I contacted the supplier of the TECO Westinghouse drive and registered a claim based on the fact that it will not drive my motors. The fact that it is rated at 7.5 amps could prove to be a stumbling block. I'll remember to bring home the clamp on ammeter tomorrow to see how much current the drive is pulling.

Once again, I really appreciate your assistance with this issue.
    7.5 Amps is the norm for a 1.5Kw VFD Drive, it's your spindle that is outside the norm and is what some of the 2.2Kw spindles run at 8Amps so I would say that your spindles have an incorrect name plate rating or may even be 2.2Kw spindle, just a rough calculation a 1.5Kw spindle should have only a 6.5A max requirement, so the 1.5Kw VFD Drive would normally work

Of all the cheap VFD Drives the Huanyang is the most robust, and the easiest to setup, there are many other VFD Drives to choose from also, just this would be the most popular one to use, make sure it is a genuine Huanyang if you get this VFD Drive as there are many copies out there

Note, The Parameter must be set correct before the Power is applied to the spindle, so whatever you get this is the first thing to address
    Mactec54

Here us the last piece of the puzzle (hopefully). The clamp on current readings on both line and neutral input wires are 2.4 amps. This only lasts for about 3 seconds, then the drive shuts down due to inverter over current protection level exceeded (CL).

At this point I just want to know if the inverter is defective or is it undersized for the application. Either way I will be replacing the inverter and cabling.

Here us the last piece of the puzzle (hopefully). The clamp on current readings on both line and neutral input wires are 2.4 amps. This only lasts for about 3 seconds, then the drive shuts down due to inverter over current protection level exceeded (CL).

At this point I just want to know if the inverter is defective or is it undersized for the application. Either way I will be replacing the inverter and cabling.
    For Testing your wire / cable you used should have been ok, going buy the photos, a Ground should have been connected, I see you have an air-cooled spindle, so this takes a little more work to connect a Ground wire inside, than the water-cooled spindle I showed you in other post

2.4A on startup with the spindle connected would not have been correct it should have reached somewhere from 8A to 12A, and then dropped back to a lower amperage so something is either not set correct in the VFD Drive or it has a problem
    Mactec54

You can do following to check:

1: Unconnected the Spindle and run the VFD, You Should have no alarm

2:Measure the Resistance between U and V, V and W, U and W, they should have same reading

Contact me if you need any help

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ge/cnc-spindle

Quote Originally Posted by automationtechinc View Post
    You can do following to check:

1: Unconnected the Spindle and run the VFD, You Should have no alarm

2:Measure the Resistance between U and V, V and W, U and W, they should have same reading

Contact me if you need any help

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ge/cnc-spindle
    He has done those tests as well had the spindle motors megger checked at a motor repair shop, the motors are fine, his VFD Drive is the problem, as it can't drive this spindle motor using the high frequency 120Hz / 400Hz required for these spindle motors
    Mactec54

What is the problem with the original motor controller? Why is is not possible to control it from your software side? Is it possible to make some kind of adapter for it to be controllable? I read the whole tread, I might have overlooked it but there is no mention to the model for the original controller.

The original VFD did run the motors but it would not communicate with my controller so I gave it to a friend where it now drives the motor for his auto Koi feeder. Who the hell knows what the model was; I tried the vendor (Vevor)for tech support and got squat.

Some good news (hopefully). I got both of my motors to spool up to 400 Hz last night while I was fooling around with the V/F curve settings. Tech support from TECO Westinghouse leaves a lot to be desired. It seems as though they were surprised that I would use this drive to power a 400 Hz spindle motor. Also hooked up an external pot and ran the speed up and down. All good so far.

Tonight I will see if I can get it to Start/Stop from my controller.

If anyone is interested I can post parameter values that got this thing working. Gotta get back to work!

Congratulations, some times perseverance is the best solution!!

Some good news (hopefully). I got both of my motors to spool up to 400 Hz last night while I was fooling around with the V/F curve settings. Tech support from TECO Westinghouse leaves a lot to be desired. It seems as though they were surprised that I would use this drive to power a 400 Hz spindle motor. Also hooked up an external pot and ran the speed up and down. All good so far.

Tonight I will see if I can get it to Start/Stop from my controller.

If anyone is interested I can post parameter values that got this thing working. Gotta get back to work!
    Yes, would like to see what they came up with after they said it would not work, with the 400Hz spindle

It is not their fault because they never normally would be dealing with these High-speed spindles, they normally would only be working in the 50Hz / 60Hz range so 400Hz would be out of there comfort zone.

Does your controller have a Relay output if so, this is the easiest way to do the 0N / 0FF
    Mactec54