587,655 active members*
4,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Connecting MPG to PC or G540 - I'm confused!

Hybrid View

Re: Connecting MPG to PC or G540 - I'm confused!

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You would most likely need to use a Smooth Stepper to the G540 to have a port to use this Handwheel, most use a Wi-Fi handwheel in your case.
    I looked at the Smoothstepper web site and honestly i'm more confused than I was before! I couldn't understand what was being said or eluded to! I'm simple when it comes to electronics - I'm a plug A into socket A type person.

If those type of instructions are not available - i'm screwed! I don't necessarily know how the instructions get from my PC to the G540 or what pin does what, I just know I used a parallel cable between the two and configured
    Mach3 as recommendations and it works!

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    I looked at the Smoothstepper web site and honestly i'm more confused than I was before! I couldn't understand what was being said or eluded to! I'm simple when it comes to electronics - I'm a plug A into socket A type person.

If those type of instructions are not available - i'm screwed! I don't necessarily know how the instructions get from my PC to the G540 or what pin does what, I just know I used a parallel cable between the two and configured
    Mach3 as recommendations and it works!
    A Smooth Stepper is an independent control and has the equivalent to 3 Parallel Ports instead of your (1) you have right now, plus much more.

On a side note a USB Handwheel you may be able to use if you have a spare USB port on your Computer
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    On a side note a USB Handwheel you may be able to use if you have a spare USB port on your Computer
    This is one thing I can't comprihend - I've opened the device to see how it was wired - It has a 5v , a 0v ground, a 'A' connection and a 'B' connection. How the switches, axis selection and resolution selection is a mystery! I've got numerous USB ports and using any of them, the device shows up in 'Device Manager' in 'Ports' but can't be seen or found in Mach3 hence my question.