587,518 active members*
2,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Arrow 500 power issues

Hey Maver1ck,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is intermittent. I would say 1out 4 times it will not trip the breaker on the second power up. I'm running a phase perfect and all power leads are within 5%. The coolant pump is not hooked up. Good point though. I'll check the pump leads. Maybe they are shorting. No other motors are present. It has the 8000rpm spindle with oiler and it blinks 'healthy'. I'll look over the air switch wiring. The door switch appears to be working properly. I have checked the different relays and they seem to also be working (CR8, CR24).

Yes I agree that something is drawing too many amps but on those times it doesn't trip, something is sending a message to the spindle drive and making it fault out. Can I rule out any of the computer components (watch dog timers? not really sure what they are or do) since they all seem to pass the boot process? Would I be correct in thinking the VFS5 is OK since it has all green lights on initial power up? I have wiggled and cleaned several connectors.

I'll keep poking around.

Re: Arrow 500 power issues

It sound like you still have multiple issues to address.

The PSR is very possible as the cause for tripping your breaker. I don't see any chance the CNC side of things would have anything to do with that....however if you are frequently tripping the breaker causing a loss of power to the machine (and CNC) you will probably corrupt your hard drive eventually and have another problem to fix.

The Dallas in the VFS5 could be a problem if the machine was without power for an extended time, but I have never had to replace one so don't ever jump to that conclusion. Motionlink may give you a better idea of why the drive is faulting, but if it is not latching (which seems to be what you described), motionlink may not be able to pull the error code. Two more thoughts since you don't know the machine history...1) check your ribbon cables on the top of the drive. They are keyed so should be plugged in correctly but I have come across some that were forced in backwards causing the drive to fault. And 2) check the drives model and software version, the VFS5 were not interchangeable across all of the Cincinnati VMC products so the previous owner could have swapped it with an incompatible one.