587,202 active members*
3,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle coolant?

Hi,

What are you guys using as spindle coolant in your DIY? Not the parts/flood/mist cooling, but cooling of the spindle itself...

I have a steel spindle and a steel sleeve for the spindle... But the pipes are plastic and parts of the cooler is made of copper-pipes. I was thinking to use antifreeze, but i'm in doubt which kind, there seems to be both "red" and "blue"....the first seems to be for cars with aluminium parts and the latter for cast-iron engines...so i guess i should take the blue?

Ideas?

/Thomas

Re: Spindle coolant?

they don't recommend anything with the chiller?

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum2 View Post
    they don't recommend anything with the chiller?
    Nah, i think the chiller is to cheap to recommend anything ;-)

But i've actually JUST tested it with some anti-freeze from the nearest carshop:
    Attachment 495890
    ...i'm not sure if it is any good, but i guess i'll find out ;-)

After using the first couple of liters to flush the system, i tested it with the loop and it doesn't leak! I'd call this a success :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ViHMDCpMC-0

/Thomas

I hate shorts with a passion, youtube became my enemy once they introduced shorts and didn't give you the option to filter them out from the search results. they do more harm than good, I think the time limit is under 60s, any video gets 'shorted' in that time frame.

I'm sure this is just for testing but the shorter the tubes the better. Car antifreeze might work, I know nothing about cars, but if its suitable for steel than it should be fine.

pc antifreeze is usually aimed at aluminium or copper heatsinks so I'd avoid that in any scenario
    Attached Files Attached Files

I hate shorts with a passion, youtube became my enemy once they introduced shorts and didn't give you the option to filter them out from the search results. they do more harm than good, I think the time limit is under 60s, any video gets 'shorted' in that time frame.
    yeah, i actually agree.... but i don't think i had a choice? seems like it automatically turns into a short...

And yeah, its just for "flushing" and leaktesting... the tubes need to go into some yet-to-be-mounted dragchains on the z-axis...

Quote Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
    yeah, i actually agree.... but i don't think i had a choice? seems like it automatically turns into a short...

And yeah, its just for "flushing" and leaktesting... the tubes need to go into some yet-to-be-mounted dragchains on the z-axis...
    anything under 60s automatically becomes a short, I think. How about using cutting fluid instead? It chills and is definitely good for steel

How about using cutting fluid instead? It chills and is definitely good for steel
    ...yeah, i actually considered this.... i wonder what they use on "professional machines"? It's most likely some brandname coolant, but i bet it is just similar to antifreeze...

Quote Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
    ...yeah, i actually considered this.... i wonder what they use on "professional machines"? It's most likely some brandname coolant, but i bet it is just similar to antifreeze...
    check the meta paper I uploaded above, they mention oil based and water based coolants but I haven't fully read it might mention names. you can ask in the industryarena part of the forum about their coolants or ask on titans forum https://titansofcnc.com/community/

any luck on their forums? they(titans) also have a discord channel that they respond to. on a other note they mention blaser products for flood coolant so maybe that's a starting point. I found two shops that sell blaser products over here:

https://www.oel-engel.de/Blaser_2
    https://oelluxx24.de/search?sSearch=blaser