588,117 active members*
5,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AXYZ 4008 3 phase to single phase wiring

Just picked up a axyz 4008, 1999 vintage. It ran when disconnected, I am aware of the toolpath/controller limitations nd plan to retrofit with something newer.

Looking at the control box, it was setup for 3 phase but looks to be able to run with 220v single phase also. To do the switch, is it as easy and just hooking up to the 2 breakers shown in the picture where is shows '220-1ph'? I do not have a manual for the machine with any wiring diagram, so I am not sure if anything else needs to be switched for running on single phase?

Thanks for any info.

Attachment 506348

Attachment 506350

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9640.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	506352

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9636.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	506354

Re: AXYZ 4008 3 phase to single phase wiring

When I see three modules labelled with 15 Amp fuse I have doubts that a single phase supply would be enough to activate all three effectively.The L1,L2 and L3 labels are a further hint that 3 phase was the intent.If you have manuals for the machine there might be some advice.What Hp is the spindle?I would think that alone would exceed a single phase circuit.For better guidance,your location and the nature of the normal single phase supplied to the area would help.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    When I see three modules labelled with 15 Amp fuse I have doubts that a single phase supply would be enough to activate all three effectively.The L1,L2 and L3 labels are a further hint that 3 phase was the intent.If you have manuals for the machine there might be some advice.What Hp is the spindle?I would think that alone would exceed a single phase circuit.For better guidance,your location and the nature of the normal single phase supplied to the area would help.
    I was able to confirm the single phase hookup is to the 2 breakers labeled '220-1ph'. Machine powers on and functions and able to use the ATC. I am in the USA/California

I can get the spindle to spin using the 'FWD' button on the E-trac AC converter, but it shows a status of 'torque limit' and doesn't turn on while running a program, this is where I am currently stuck. I do not want to reset the AC converter since it was running prior, but thinking there may be a setting for input voltage that is causing the torque limit error? The converter has a light for low voltage/undercurrent and it is not lit, so that is not the issue. The spindle is a HSD 3.8kw 5hp.

Hi,
    a 3.8kW spindle drive is likely to suck 40A peak from a single phase supply....does your circuit have that ability?

A 2.2kW VFD is a practical limit for a domestic single phase circuit. Beyond that you need a larger cable installed with appropriate breakers/fuses.

I have just bought a 3 phase (400VAC) 3.5kW spindle, and its peak current is 21A per phase!!!!! 99% of the time it draws about 10A per phase (400VAC), but there is just no
    way I could run it on single phase even if I tried.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    a 3.8kW spindle drive is likely to suck 40A peak from a single phase supply....does your circuit have that ability?

A 2.2kW VFD is a practical limit for a domestic single phase circuit. Beyond that you need a larger cable installed with appropriate breakers/fuses.

I have just bought a 3 phase (400VAC) 3.5kW spindle, and its peak current is 21A per phase!!!!! 99% of the time it draws about 10A per phase (400VAC), but there is just no
    way I could run it on single phase even if I tried.

Craig
    It is on a dedicated 50amp circuit.

For anyone searching in the future, the issue I originally posted about was a setting within the AC converter. Once I set it correctly, the spindle functions as expected on single phase power.

Was that while executing a program and generating an actual cutting force,as well as moving the machine and running the controller?

Was that while executing a program and generating an actual cutting force,as well as moving the machine and running the controller?
    Yes, imported a .dxf into toolpath and was able to send the job and have it cut.

Hello, I have an AXYZ 4008 that I want to run on a single phase. Curious to hear more about your process.

Was it as easy as hooking up to the 2 breakers shown in the picture where it shows '220v-1ph' ?

What was the setting you changed on the AC converter? This was causing the torque limit?

Quote Originally Posted by ml_macdonald View Post
    Hello, I have an AXYZ 4008 that I want to run on a single phase. Curious to hear more about your process.

Was it as easy as hooking up to the 2 breakers shown in the picture where it shows '220v-1ph' ?

What was the setting you changed on the AC converter? This was causing the torque limit?
    Yes, I just rewired the input to the 2 breakers under the '220v-1ph' label.

I was able to find the setup guide for the inverter confirm it could be run on single phase, I did not need to change any connections anywhere else.

The torque limit error was actually not an error, the status light is always red when the spindle is not spinning with or without an error. If the light turns red while a program is running, then it would indicate torque limit.

The setting I had to change within the AC Converter was section 21 in programing, you can define input type. The setting had been switched to use inputs on the inverter itself, once I changed it to use the input control wires from the controller it worked as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
    Yes, imported a .dxf into toolpath and was able to send the job and have it cut.
    You have my congratulations for mastering Toolpath.Having fought with it a time or two,I found it much less efficient than the most basic CAM programs,but I understand that those who have come to it before using the alternatives can get work done.

You have my congratulations for mastering Toolpath.Having fought with it a time or two,I found it much less efficient than the most basic CAM programs,but I understand that those who have come to it before using the alternatives can get work done.
    If I did not have the user guide it would be a struggle. I am planning to switch the controller to a UC300ETH and then use Vectric/UCCNC. My previous table I used CamBam\Mach3 which worked great, but I do not think I can setup the ATC with MACH3.

You don't need to make those changes if you simply want to make parts.The machine will work perfectly well with the output from Vectric as long as you select the correct post processor from the huge range available,You can still use Toolpath to send the Gcode to the machine and it will execute the sequence.Is there some fault with the controller you currently have that obliges you to change the controller to eradicate.