587,997 active members*
2,334 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tree mill wiring question

I recently recieved my tree journeyman 425 and was baffled at the setup instructions. It states that i can only run 230V, and that if i have anything else I need to run a transformer and also switch some leads. Not only are the electrical schematics not clear on how to do this, but my electrical cabinets do not look anything like the supplied pictures.
    the second problem is that the machine came with a five wire plug for power. I have never wired a five wire plug, and the schematics dont even show five wires, they show 4.
    Help....

I figured out that the white wire was for a neutral for another circuit. now I just need to figure out why they used an orange wire as one of the hot wires. It is a pre assembled wire bundle so maybe they could not get a black, red, red, green, white combo? most likely I would think. still wondering about wether or not it can be run on 240V though. any experts?

Quote Originally Posted by stanglou View Post
    I recently recieved my tree journeyman 425 and was baffled at the setup instructions. It states that i can only run 230V, and that if i have anything else I need to run a transformer and also switch some leads. Not only are the electrical schematics not clear on how to do this, but my electrical cabinets do not look anything like the supplied pictures.
    the second problem is that the machine came with a five wire plug for power. I have never wired a five wire plug, and the schematics dont even show five wires, they show 4.
    Help....
    part 1 You need to state your question a little better, are you looking to rewire it to another votlage? If so you are going to need to rewire any transformer or motor attached to that main voltage, best bet since you will not be going down in votlage is to use a transfomer. Since you are not understanding the schematics you have best bet is to let a pro do this.

part 2 A 5 pin 4 pole plug is used on a non grounded b phase 3 phase setup. You could probably use what ever plug end you need as long as it supports the proper current and poles(wires). The extra pin is a ground most often attached to the cable or cord sheath if at all. The plug end will identify the proper mating plug and current requirements.

If ever in doubt about electricty its best to consult a certified, journeyman, or state lic, electrican that does work in that local area. They know the NEC and local codes and can do it quicker and safer then you can. You may also want to install a disconnect if it does not already have one for saftey purposes.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by stanglou View Post
    I figured out that the white wire was for a neutral for another circuit. now I just need to figure out why they used an orange wire as one of the hot wires. It is a pre assembled wire bundle so maybe they could not get a black, red, red, green, white combo? most likely I would think. still wondering about wether or not it can be run on 240V though. any experts?
    All ellectrical equipment is allowed 10% variance, so you could run it on 220 or up 240, They use 230 as mean, most elctrical supplies in the US are around for 3 phase are 235-240 volts in that particluar range. If in doubt check the motor, and control transformer ratings they should state it quite clearly, as for wire color, there are not any set standards other then green, you should not be running seperate circuits through one plug, white can be neutral but is not always neutral esp in 3 phase setups were B phase is not grouned(4wire). Typically red,black,white are used in three wire, red,black,white and green in four wire, and red,black,white,green and orange.
    I have seen blue used also but not very often. I have never seen 2 reds expect for a dual single phase input and that is often not in a cable form but pulled through EMT or Liquid Tight.

Your input diagram should read on the four lines something like,
    L1,L2,L3, G, or A,B,C,G
    The fith wire may not be connect to anything or the sheath of the cable or a extra ground. If in doubt contact the seller and see if they can inlighten you.

chris

thanks for the input. After tracing wires for a while I found that they simply used the fifth wire(white) for a neutral on another 110V circuit that they wired on the machine. That leaves me with the red, orange, black and green, easy enough from there. I had always read and heard the same about 10% variance, but the manual seemed so adimant about it being 230V. they even name leads to switch if you are to run a transformer. Of course wiring diagram and reference photos are nothing like the actual setup as the mill has obviously been tampered with and made to suit previous owners application. Now all I have to do Is double check my old books on how to wire a 3 phase circuit, and try to get a hold of tree to verify our assumptions.

tree mill

I also have a wiring question....not trying to hijack, but this is maybe of consequence to you too. I run a phase convertor on my 310, and was wondering if there is any way to isolate the computer by running it 110v for programming, so the phase convertor does not have to be running? Anyone know how to do this? I can't see the omputer running 3 phase, but dont know. I got it without schematics.

Quote Originally Posted by klysons View Post
    I also have a wiring question....not trying to hijack, but this is maybe of consequence to you too. I run a phase convertor on my 310, and was wondering if there is any way to isolate the computer by running it 110v for programming, so the phase convertor does not have to be running? Anyone know how to do this? I can't see the omputer running 3 phase, but dont know. I got it without schematics.
    All though I am sure it could be done, and I cannot comment on this machine for sure, it would require making entirely sure that nothing else which could come on relies on the 3 phase(relays, contactors, drives etc.). Typically only one line is used to make the control votlage(240 to 120), and the "computer" more then likely runs on even lower such as 24v or 12v. It would require a safe means of switching and isolation, what that would be in canada I cannot completely comment on. If I had to do that in industry in the states it would have to be run seperate and have its own breaker or plug. BTW without schematics it will be nearly impossible to say for certain.

wiring

Thanks! I have asked quite a few questions on this site, but generally there is never a reply or its a month later, but never this fast. I was losing hope on CNC zone. Might have to hang a bit longer, see if I can help anyone.

Appreciated muchly.

Quote Originally Posted by klysons View Post
    Thanks! I have asked quite a few questions on this site, but generally there is never a reply or its a month later, but never this fast. I was losing hope on CNC zone. Might have to hang a bit longer, see if I can help anyone.

Appreciated muchly.
    Seems to me that people post there questions in the wrong area, there are so many its hard too look at all the areas I have exeperince/interest. There also seems to be alot of langauge barriers, but that goes with the nature of the internet I suppose.

chris