588,240 active members*
4,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    Martin ,The Zone server appears to have some problems.Maybee some lithium based grease on the server ballscrews would help.I lost 2 posts and waited 60 minutes to get back on the Zone.
    Larry
    Dear Larry,

I would direct both components at the new IT man.

Best wishes

Martin

Martin
    Qu'est-ce qui IT homme ou
    Que-es IThombre.
    Me no Ingles Me no comprender.ou no comprende.
    Me speak CanadianEH!EH!AA.Porfabor explique IT-man.
    Gracias & merci.
    Anonyme.
    Lo siento para mi ingles malo

Oh No,
    Larry is a french canadian hispanola. :rainfro:

The servers are working fine now ; ) Glad I'm waking up rather than going to sleep.

Martin, sounds like a really good match with material characteristics. Makes me feel less like chicken little, but that is not to say I'm right. Rather overengineer a little than underengineer and get suprised by less than obvious weaknesses.

Not to mention it is a vermin barrier. Nothing worse than hearing that phantom noise and finding out it a mouse running back and forth through your cnc complex/mouse circuit track ; )

I have yet to see the commercial hollow tube versions (in horizontal).

Geof,

Haven't looked at that site for a while. They always have some exotic stuff. The kevlar got me thinking a bit theoretically. If you had those short fibers mixed in (low stretch, high strength, poor compressive) Theoretically it might be a good match with epoxy granites compressive strength. Although you don't have optimal alignment through mixing.

As for what we end up with on a practical (affordable) basis might be altogether different.

Since I'm working with veneers, I might try to put together a high aspect piece of e/p under constant load and outside, subject to heating and cooling. It would be an acid test more than practical but have implications.

Hmm I could borrow from that thermoelastic memory foam commerical and put a glass of wine on one side and use the legs (wave residue) to measure the vibration conduction versus steel and concrete. Well now I'm just getting carried away.

Guten Morgen

I feel like that commercials where the cell phone connection is bad and there is no response to a joke.

I'm a iriscotfreital :rainfro:

I saw a show on the bay bridge which was designed to withstand 8.5 scale earthquakes. The component they were building was a square with 4 tubes radiating from it. So I think I'm not unhappy with the concept I drew.

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    Martin
    Qu'est-ce qui IT homme ou
    Que-es IThombre.
    Dear Larry,

Foreign languages were never my strong point. It takes me time to decipher.

In the UK, IT is an abbreviation for Information Technology.

These people run the computer systems in any organisation, and have the power to make your life utter misery.

You can usually find them in the basement of any large building at weekends.

Best wishes

Martin

Brunog,

Not overly serious on the kevlar. I would hope chopped strands would be more abundant. Of course maybe spectra. Either way if it wasn't commercially available you would have to chop a bunch of fishing line. Give you something to do while your emptying those beer cans

Martinw,

I'll take a spin on IT. I believe this site is based on vbulletin, shareware. It used to be cfm based (Cold Fusion now Macromedia) or have cfm version. I developed a corporate website with vbulletin that primarily put together key corporate information but had board capabilities.

I definitely had my frustrations with them but if you think about if they screw something up it all comes back on them. Everybody wants this little change or that so typically they develop a beauracracy that makes all these little change makers manageable.

The big IT fear is one little change will have multiple implications which will come back to them. Similarly to leave open some security back door. So the safest course is to block all change. Typically they can throw out some standard jargon and you'd generally be none the wiser but frustrated.

This site hit its peak in October according to stats. The fact that they needed to add server capacity lead me to one or both of fewer people posting more or more server intensive files like images and video. A last components is as this site adds more sections it comes up more in searches and there are more guest viewers. I'd have to say all in all this site is flourishing. The beauty of it they have software like webtrends that pretty much tracks where the interest is how many exposures people are getting to a given advertisement it is all very quantifiable in some regard.

So the new IT guy is probably trying to figure out how to manage these peaks without spending more money on servers.

From my perspective we can't complain to much the advertisers are effectively picking up the bill.

I never had easy interaction with IT but then again I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Besides if that was I was doing I would search this site for IT or IS and see who is complaining ; )