587,743 active members*
3,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > How hard would it be to modify a power supply to increase amps?

Hybrid View

How hard would it be to modify a power supply to increase amps?

I found a 48V power supply for about $40 but it is only 2 amps. Is it possible to modify it to give 8-10 amps? If so, how hard/expensive would it be? Could I make an easy change which would sacrifice some voltage for more amps? If I could get it to 40-42V and 8-10 amps that would be great.

i don't think it will work for that much change

first you need to know how many amps the transformer will kick out

then you can replace the bridge rectifier or diodes with ones that are rated for higher amps

do a Google for power supply schematics

Probably a silly question but if I got two 24V 5A supplies could I connect them to make a 48v 10A supply?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdagon View Post
    Probably a silly question but if I got two 24V 5A supplies could I connect them to make a 48v 10A supply?
    NO

If you wired the supplies in series, you would have 48 Volts at 5 Amps.

If you wire them in Parallel, you would have 24 VDC at 10 Amps.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by CJL5585 View Post
    NO

If you wired the supplies in series, you would have 48 Volts at 5 Amps.

If you wire them in Parallel, you would have 24 VDC at 10 Amps.

Jerry
    Okay, That makes sense.

Two more questions, then.

1) Is it more important to have more volts or more amps? I have now found a few identical 24V 7.2A power supplies. If I am understanding everthing that I have read in the zone I need around 32V 6A for my three motors, so I could wire two of these in series and be ok. However, I would like to be able to add a fourth axis later. This would require 42V 8A. Would the 7.2 A make that much difference?

2)If so, would it be possible to wire up three of these supplies in a combination of series parallel to get what I need? Again, maybe a stupid question.

Thanks for all replies.

Okay, That makes sense.

1) Is it more important to have more volts or more amps? I have now found a few identical 24V 7.2A power supplies. If I am understanding everthing that I have read in the zone I need around 32V 6A for my three motors, so I could wire two of these in series and be ok. However, I would like to be able to add a fourth axis later. This would require 42V 8A. Would the 7.2 A make that much difference?

2)If so, would it be possible to wire up three of these supplies in a combination of series parallel to get what I need? Again, maybe a stupid question.

Thanks for all replies.
    if you have 3 12volt 2amp motors you will need a 12volt 6amp power supply

adding another 12volt 4amp motor you will need a 12volt 10amp power supply

if the motors are different voltages you will need a power supply for each voltage

Okay, That makes sense.

From the little I understand of this, motor speed is a function of voltage, motor torque is a function of amperage.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Angry power supply

I found a 48V power supply for about $40 but it is only 2 amps. Is it possible to modify it to give 8-10 amps? If so, how hard/expensive would it be? Could I make an easy change which would sacrifice some voltage for more amps? If I could get it to 40-42V and 8-10 amps that would be great.
    Hi wolfdagon

have a look at this thread http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?n...warticle&id=27 there is more information on the front home page on www.cnczone.com

Hope this article is of help , that is the problem with website so much information on here , i need to take a speed reading course to increase my reading speed from 20 words a minute to 1500 words a minute

cheers

my company uses switching powersupply a lot.
    very nice size and very light weigh compared to the transformer type (3kg only).
    they come in 48v 10amp, and 48v 20amp
    i think the price is 180$ for the 10amp, i can send you few if anyone intersted.

I read something on the xylotek page a long time ago. If I remember it right their claim was even though your motors may be rated for 5A, 3 motors may work fine on considerably less (i.e. you don't need anywhere near 15A for the system). I don't know if that argument is specific to something in the chipset they use or if that can be made as a general argument.

Now if you have 4 of those 24VDC power supplies... then your in business.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

if it takes 10.4 volts to drive one motor, that is the voltage the power supply should be

if there is a range on the voltage like 10 to 20 volts go with the higher voltage it will require less amps

if you have any doubts on the amps needed more will not hurt

but to high of a voltage will

If I am right that 4 motors would take 8A what adverse effects would the 7.2A power supply have?
    that's a good question since the motor doesn't use all the windings at once ,it uses them in step

This should help with the 1/2 coil: http://www.pminmo.com/wiki/index.php?title=6wiremotors
    You don't want to run the L298's at 48V, 42V with a shunt regulator would be the maximum I would recommend.
    I wouldn't recommend a 24V supply, I'd be looking for 34 to 42V. If they are linear supplies 6A +.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    This should help with the 1/2 coil: http://www.pminmo.com/wiki/index.php?title=6wiremotors
    You don't want to run the L298's at 48V, 42V with a shunt regulator would be the maximum I would recommend.
    I wouldn't recommend a 24V supply, I'd be looking for 34 to 42V. If they are linear supplies 6A +.
    Thanks PMINO. After looking at the info at you link, and especially the artcle on the geckodrive website referred to there, I think I finally understand. I will look for a supply in the range you suggest. If I can't find one I will try to build one. I may end up with the 24V supply anyway since I placed a small bid on it already. If so I can at least use it to make sure the motors are running ok until I get the larger supply.

Kenith