587,818 active members*
3,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Best milling finish on 6061

Hybrid View

The ski carb is a great endmill. I don't know the length of cut you're talking about, but I suspect the marks on the side of the part are form chatter or vibration. Use a high helix carbide em 3flutes seem to offset vibration well, as for facing use a shell mill, I think it is a kennametal or iscar with side mount inserts and sharp tips on the inserts. awesome finish. radius endmills work great for facing but poor for side mill finishing the tip is taking all the pressure where you want the sides to have some pressure on them to reduce chatter.
    We used to rub the flutes with a penny to take the sharp edge off on long endmills to add a little tool pressure and take some vibration away. I hope this helps

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

To answer some questions, this is on a VMC so we are using flood coolant. Max RPM available is 6,000. The depth of cut for the side milling is around .25" on one part and around .75" on the other part. I'd like to be able to use either a 1/2" or 3/4" mill - 1/2" probably better so I can pack them in a bit better on the fixture with less space between.

I looked at Dataflute - the AFDH. Supposed to be very good for Al finishing. I think I'll give that mill a shot. Anyone have any comments on pricing compared to other mills? For example 1/2" EM, 1/2" shank, 1" DOC perhaps? I can call around and ask but if it's one of those $300+ endmills I already know it's not gonna happen But if it's close to a regular high-helix mill that's OK. I just hate calling the reps if I don't end up buying anything because they hound me and ask to stop by and try to sell us stuff, or they just stop by uninvited! heh.

On the face mill...I had looked at the Iscar ones as well as the Kennemetal and Ingersoll. There are so many different options for an indexable face mill, like the number of inserts, insert geometry and the cutting head geometry. Again, I'd rather not call up a rep and tell him I want pricing on 30 different parts, so anyone got any suggestions on where to start with a face mill? Something around a 4" size would probably be perfect.

The Dataflute's should run you around $50-$60 a piece for an uncoated. Not sure about a facemill but they usually go for less than $300. Look for a package deal with the inserts and cutter body...they are usually cheaper.

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

For a Face Mill to Cut Aluminum Look at Sandvik R590 series, they have Carbide, and PCD inscerts for them.

Use em evryday!!!

Endmills, try searching Destiny tool. I got a few samples and they cut like butter The vipers, that is. I believe they have a double helix design, and the finish is excellent, using the same tool for roughing and finishing.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Good read! Thanks. I'm also looking at doing a large amount of work with 6061 starting NOW! I have never heard of the Dyna Flute mills before. BUT I did contact them to get some info and pricing. I would like to use indexable but with my sizes, 1/8 up to 5/16, there is not much there for that and you limited to usually single insert. For some of my larger cutters on other jobs, like a 1" ball nose and "T" slot cutters are indexable Iscar products.

Now for another question, I posted about coolant for this material, 6061. So if you can help there, thank you.

Also, please look to my thread on high speed machining in 6061.

Thank you and sorry I don't want to hi-jack. John

Has ANYONE ever used the Hanita solid carbide ALUMINIUM cutters? Like the 4KO2 and 4KO3 tools?

What is the concentration that you are running the Blasocut 2000 Universal at?

Coolant Guy
    Sales Engineer

If you're looking for the "ultimate" face-milled finish on aluminum, and you have room in the budget, you can always try one of these (see photos):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T6-6061 Aluminum piece after being fly-cut with diamond tool..jpg   Single Crystal Diamond Fly-cutter-2.jpg   Single Crystal Diamond Fly-cutter-1.jpg  
    K&Y Diamond Ltd. - Ph514) 333-5606, Fax514) 339-5493
    http://www.kydiamond.ca