587,104 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Leadwell VMC with Dynapath Delta 20

I’m in the process of setting up a Leadwell MCV-550S VMC with Dynapath Delta 20 control. I’m going at this without manuals, so now that I’ve hit a snag, I was hoping someone here could help.
    At this point I have the control powered up, and I’m able to index the tool carousel, start the spindle, and even activate the draw bar and the air blast. The control runs a diagnostic at start up and confirms NO problems, but I can’t seem to get it to home (move). The Fanuc servo drive boards seem to be powered, with LED’s (green) aglow. Is there a start-up procedure to this control to activate the servos? Anyone have a suggestion?
    Thanks

Did you reference the machine out?

re Dynapath 20

Hi there

I have a Dynapath 20.

have you tried this:

1st gotta reference all axes after any power-off. If you got the axes to reference then you *must* have done this:
    (hit) Mode....0 (Jog)......R [for reference], in order to reference the axes. Then you'll have hit X & Y console levers (X+ or X- ....Y+....Y- ...etc) & each axis moves slowly to its stop pt.

But if you cannot reference the axes, then the control cannot go further, it can't do anything cause it doesn't know where the tables are.

If they ARE OK....

(Hit) Mode....0....again...this time hit 1 or 2 or 3. Then use the levers again....table should jog. If not then call back here.

I lookin in this forum only occasionally, so email me directly

SD

Thanks for the suggestion’s guys.
    Unfortunately, I’m still not able to get any axis to move.
    I’m suspicious that the problem lies with the machines’ transformers and their proper connections. The machine seems to have come out of a shop with 460v power (my shop has 208v which the Leadwell dealer says is ideal). It’s intended to run on “220v” with “jumpers” on the “main” transformer, which then feeds a second transformer allowing for various incoming voltages.
    After checking the voltage on the out-feed side of the “main” transformer, we got a reading of 186v even though it’s labeled as “200v”. Then, after checking the voltage at the secondary transformer (which feeds each axis drive) we are getting around 96v even though they are labeled 135v?
    Maybe just a coincidence, but the cabinets cooling fans are also wired at the same connection as the axis drives on the second transformer, and the fans aren’t running either.

Leadwell/DynaPath problem

Sorry...I'm at the limit of my knowledge.

dogstar

It LIVES!

Good news folks,
    The Leadwell lives! As suspected, it was a matter of simply adding 2 jumpers and repositioning a couple of the transformers’ coils feeds, and everything came to life. I’d like to thank you all for your help, and suggestions.
    The next challenge is to set up a PC with DNC to the RS232 port, and hunt down some BT40 tool holders.

how is the dnc setup going?

i have just acquired a millport with a delta20 control on it and was wondering about dnc on it. have you had much luck with tooling either? retention knobs seem crazy for what they are... i can buy holders for $30ish then the knobs are like $11 each, anyone got any good sources for them?

Danny

Hey danny,
    I’m still addressing the dnc. I’m investigating a USB to serial port adapter as a short-term solution (I have used USB memory sticks with very good success on my other machines). Eventually, a dedicated PC is in the future plan (all in time!).
    Tooling is another issue that I too am addressing (albeit slowly). I’ve been watching e-bay and the industrial auction web sites. They can be great sources for tooling at very affordable prices!
    For example, my machine uses BT 40 tool holders. On e-bay I picked up a BT40 collet tool holder with (8) collets, price for them new: $430.00. My winning bid: $114.00! Even if lightly used, I figured it was a good price, but when I received them they were brand new!
    I’m still kicking myself over a recent auction were I passed up BT40 collet type holders selling in lots of 10-11 holders per lot, they were going for $180-$200.00 per lot! End mill holders were going for $250.00 for 15-16 holders per lot! Some were even the extended versions, and these included retention studs, collets, even tooling still in them!

I’ve seen retention studs for my machine in the $22.00-$28.00 price range each (new), your $11.00 sounds pretty reasonable.
    I look at it this way; my machine can run up to a 15-1/2 pound tool in the spindle. That retention stud is the “life line” that keeps it there! Have you ever seen a holder drop from a running spindle as it then proceeds to ricochet around the shop?! Let me tell you, it makes one think about “sandbagging” an emergency bunker within diving distance of the machine!

Are Dynapath troubles resolved?

Danny

Hope you got your Dynapath going. I only rarely visit CNC Zone website & so do not get messages....email me at [email protected]

S

[QUOTE=CNC Pro;313563]Hey danny,
    I’m still addressing the dnc. I’m investigating a USB to serial port adapter as a short-term solution (I have used USB memory sticks with very good success on my other machines). Eventually, a dedicated PC is in the future plan (all in time!).

have you had any luck with the serial port adapter?,

Danny