588,653 active members*
6,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Projecting Surfaces

Projecting Surfaces

Hi,

I'm designing an r/c pylon racer that is going to have a full composite construction. The main shape for the wings has been made, and now I need to get that 3D surface to project onto a flat 2D. The reason for this is becasue I need to cut out a piece of balsa to fit perfectly into my future molds. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sebastian

Your surface must be developeable for Rhino to do this. Here is the command you are looking for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unroll.jpg  

duluthboat - Say looks like you've been down the track I'm interested in - so I'll ask a question re Rhino, Scroll, and Developable surfaces:
    Could you create a hull model and then have the surface laid out to create cut patterns for a lay-up? - If so AWESOME!!!! may gotta get that one.
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Jim,
    Here is a hull I’m now working on, the bottom panel is developable but the top side is not. Making the panels developable dose not always give a nice hull. Playing with hull shapes is a million trade offs. Rhino is a good tool to work with hulls but it is still a lot of work. The second shot is the bottom panel flattened out.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dehull.jpg  

2nd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dehullbt.jpg  

Check out this link, there are some interesting free programs for boat hull and mast design
    http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Projects

Carene 40/50, Hull, and some of the other free or low cost hull software are great if they give you what you want. I have played with most of them; my choice for easy to use and good results is Carene. Robert Lain was quick to respond to my e-mails and detailed in his answers. It draws hulls to a formula, which always gives you developable panels. It will export .dxf files as well as offset tables for these panels. If this is the type of hull you want then look no further. If you want Cad that allows you decide what the hull will look like, plus add all the interior, and do model rendering, then it is hard to beat Rhino.

Gary