587,850 active members*
2,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Yaskawa SGDH and SGDA servo motor/drive wiring questions

Hybrid View

Hi rpseguin

The SGDH Drives are + / - 10v and is not STEP & DIR The SGDA also is
    + / - 10v signal to drive them I'm not sure on the step & dir with that drive but some can take the step & dir the SGDA---P Position Control is No good for CNC Just for robot type of things there is a board that will change Step & Dir Signal into + / -10V The drives should be set up for Speed Control Mode for CNC operation The SGDA type Drives will only take 2048 Encoder motors SIGMA I the SGDH can take from 2048x4 (13 Bit) to 32,768x4 (17Bit) I run mine at 16,384x4 (16Bit) encoder pulses per 1 rotation of the motor shaft You need a very good controller ( Computer & Software ) to handle the large encoder pulses all SIGMA II series have the big encoder count on the motors as standard
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Hi rpseguin

The SGDH Drives are + / - 10v and is not STEP & DIR
    :nono: Sorry Mactec54, but this is not true. The SGDH will take step and direction, analog speed ref or analog torque ref. All selectable by parameter setting.

The SGDA also is + / - 10v signal to drive them I'm not sure on the step & dir with that drive but some can take the step & dir the SGDA---P Position Control is No good for CNC Just for robot type of things there is a board that will change Step & Dir Signal into + / -10V The drives should be set up for Speed Control Mode for CNC operation
    I'm not sure why you say this? There are speed and position versions of the SGD and SGDA as you say. The P type is very suitable for CNC control.

The SGDA type Drives will only take 2048 Encoder motors SIGMA I the SGDH can take from 2048x4 (13 Bit) to 32,768x4 (17Bit) I run mine at 16,384x4 (16Bit) encoder pulses per 1 rotation of the motor shaft You need a very good controller ( Computer & Software ) to handle the large encoder pulses all SIGMA II series have the big encoder count on the motors as standard
    There is also an absolute encoder version of the motor for the SGDA with a lower resolution. In my case, the 2048 line (which is 8192 edges per revolution) has far more resolution than I need or can use. The electronic gear ratio helps in this case by allowing multiple feedback edges per reference pulse. The Sigma I's also allow up to 32768 line encoders. The motors just didn't come with but 2 options as standard.

+ / - 10v signal to drive them I'm not sure on the step & dir with that drive but some can take the step & dir the SGDA---P Position Control is No good for CNC Just for robot type of things there is a board that will change Step & Dir Signal into + / -10V The drives should be set up for Speed Control Mode for CNC operation The SGDA type Drives will only take 2048 Encoder motors SIGMA I the SGDH can take from 2048x4 (13 Bit) to 32,768x4 (17Bit) I run mine at 16,384x4 (16Bit) encoder pulses per 1 rotation of the motor shaft You need a very good controller ( Computer & Software ) to handle the large encoder pulses all SIGMA II series have the big encoder count on the motors as standard
    Ummm... I think your information is incorrect. I'm looking at the SGDH manual and it very clearly states that the drives support position, speed and torque control and supports step and direction for position control.

Also, the SGDA-xxP drives are very suitable for CNC axis drives, as they are position control drives.

Thanks.
    -Ralph

encoder cable

I'm also squirling around with some old SGDH drives, and am trying to find the encoder cable connector that plugs into the drive. On the first page of this thread someone mentioned that it's some variant of a common USB connector, but I don't think I've seen it before - is it something that I could pick up at Fry's or some other electronics store? Anyone have a part number? Thanks!

Edward

Hi All,

I've learned as much from this old thread as I have from reams of Yaskawa documentation so I hope the original posters are still lurking about.

I would like to use AC servo motors to drive my spindle. It's a Taig and the controller is Mach.

Here's what I've got:
    A pair of SGM-01A312 motors.
    http://www.chicobritish.org/CNC/Yas/YasMotors.jpg

A SGD-02BH-PY5 Servodrive.
    http://www.chicobritish.org/CNC/Yas/YasDrive.jpg

Question 1: Should I get a JUSP-OP03A Digital Operator?
    http://www.chicobritish.org/CNC/Yas/YasOperator.jpg

It looks like it would be a good addition for setting things up. I downloaded the dos software for setting it up but I have no cable. Would the Operator eliminate the need for the cable and dos software?

The bottom line question is: What is the best and/or easiest way to get this pile of parts to make my spindle go round?

Cheers,
    Walt

Hi rpseguin

Can you please tell me if yaskawa sgdb-10vd is step/dir or +-10v , can you send me wire diagram

Re: Yaskawa SGDH and SGDA servo motor/drive wiring questions

Quote Originally Posted by bujar.gashi View Post
    Can you please tell me if yaskawa sgdb-10vd is step/dir or +-10v , can you send me wire diagram
    I replied to your other post
    Mactec54