587,753 active members*
3,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 22 8910111220
    Quote Originally Posted by digits View Post
    Which is why my new machine will do >400IPM rapids 3D needs loads of tiny and often disconnected cuts.
    Will it do 400 IPM even on the shortest rapid moves?.. high acceleration wins more than high travel speeds, since in 3D, a lot of short moves are made..

my machine runs "only" 40IPM, but reaches that speed within "half a second.."

Quote Originally Posted by arie kabaalstra View Post
    Will it do 400 IPM even on the shortest rapid moves?.. high acceleration wins more than high travel speeds, since in 3D, a lot of short moves are made..

For sure it looks to me your machine will take a lot more than 40, go for some tuning!

Regards,
    Sven

That all looks really great Arie. Thats such an obvious comment you made about acceleration for 3D, but I had to read it to absorb it, and now I'm going to re-look at the acceleration on my machine. It was kinda ignored previously and I concentrated on the flat out speed.

Regarding your enclosure, clear plastic is good for letting you see what's going on, and looks nice, but don't get plexiglass if you want the enclosure to offer any protection, use polycarbonate sheeting, it looks the exact same. Someone more experienced can offer details about what you'd require to protect you from a broken bit rotating at 35,000 and travelling at whatever speed, but I'd say get 6mm thickness or more.

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    For sure it looks to me your machine will take a lot more than 40, go for some tuning!

Regards,
    Sven
    yeah.. but then i wil have to bolt it to something heavy, otherwise it will tip over due to inertia..(nuts):cheers:

in the nearest future i will build a more powerful powersupply, at the moment i'm only running 20 Volts, while my drivers can handle 32.. MORE POWER IGOR!!..

maybe next year i will swap my steppers for servo's, enhancing both speed and resolution..

A very valid point Arie, and one which got me worrying, so I had to come home and test it out!

I've only really played with my X-axis (Y is sick and Z is >50kg) but the X will do 0-12500mm/min (492IPM on old money) in 0.1s according to Mach 3! At that speed, it is rather scary, so I might have to reduce it! Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

As for your enclosure, while see through ones are nice, you're probably safer with one with smallish viewing windows given your spindle speeds. I would have thought a nice alloy-sheet/soundproofing/alloy-sheet sandwich would provide a good balance between strength and noise reduction. And believe me, if you do end up with multi-hour 3D projects, being not able to hear it run will be well worth the effort.

Cheers.

the sandwich-aluminium construction has also crossed my mind.. noise reduction will be nice.. whenever i'm machining, i always wear my earplugs..

local toolstores are selling Sheet aluminium , a 1000 x 500 x 1 mm sheet for 18,50 euro's ( 'bout 25 $ ) so maybe i use that..

as far as thickness of the windows is concerned, though my machine may run 35000 rpm that is only with the smaller bits, not the 8mm ones.. and i dont see a 0.5 mm endmill breaking through a 4 mm sheet of lexan.. apart from that.. i'm ALWAYS! wearing my safety glasses

the sandwich-aluminium construction has also crossed my mind.. noise reduction will be nice.. whenever i'm machining, i always wear my earplugs..

local toolstores are selling Sheet aluminium , a 1000 x 500 x 1 mm sheet for 18,50 euro's ( 'bout 25 $ ) so maybe i use that..

as far as thickness of the windows is concerned, though my machine may run 35000 rpm that is only with the smaller bits, not the 8mm ones.. and i dont see a 0.5 mm endmill breaking through a 4 mm sheet of lexan.. apart from that.. i'm ALWAYS! wearing my safety glasses
    You might find that a double skinned window with a thin inner sheet is also a good idea - both for noise reduction and to allow you to cheaply replace it when/if it gets scratched by chips or discoloured by coolant.

Looks great. If you ever draw up some plans and sell them count me in for a set.
    Great thread.
    Steve

it has been a while since you last heard from me, but!.. there might be great news.. since the machine is basically finished now, and i've run a series of tests, i now know that accuracy is within 0.002 mm's, at least that's what i could measure with freshly calibrated tools..

last week i got a request from a model kit manufacturerer for milling some injection moulds!
    and another request from a model railroad store for models of truck, cars and other scenery.. Beagle is gett'n busy!.. .YAY!!

Arie WOW! thats awsome to hear how accurate it is. I hope that you can keep the little machine busy. Keep us updated!

chris.
    "you don't even need cnc if your handy with a torch"

Pictures/videos of the jobs is more than welcome:-)

here you go..

a keychain with the logo of italian motorcycleframe builder Verlicchi

and that came out..

Wow Arie - I'm amazed at the accuracy of that little machine of yours - but you do deserve it, given the attention to detail in your build, and the accuracy really shows in the feature size you've been able to carve out in that keychain badge. The wall thickness around the hole must be a few hundred microns!

not even a few hundred microns.. 87 microns to be exact :withstupi.. nahh.. never measured it.. but the machine is accurate.. i also machined a lock for my motorbike, there's a hatch in the seat, to put stuff in. the white piece protruding in the top of the picture..

see??.. even a cordless drill fits int here.. and .. nope.. it ain't no Goldwing.. it's a nice and nimble Ducati 750..

You have nice project! I also like to watch videos, thanks for that. I see that you didn`t use coolant with when you millin your keychain. I think you should use some methylated spirits with alloy... End of that video, I can hear that your alloy getting caught to your endmill, maybe that is only sound...

Keep up the good work!

in the end.. indeed some aluminium gettin' trapped in the mill..(why do ya think i stopped filming??) i did use some lube though.. WD40, a light machine oil, but paraffin also does the trick..

my own fault, should have used a solid carbide Endmill, and not a TiN coated HSS one.. TiN coatings are too rough for aluminium.. but if the aluminium is hard enough you can mill it dry.. seen em do that at Marchesini's, the Italian motorbikewheel manufacturer, i visited them in 2002 when i was in italy..

this week i milled a injectionmould from aluminium 7000 hard enough, and i used a Solid Carbide V-groove cutter.. worked like a charm @35000RPM..
    Methylated spirits..AKA Alcohol?.. the stuff you use to heat chafing dishes?.. don't like the idea of highly flamable fluids in the shop.. paraffin is less "ignition-prone" and far less "lean"..

Hey Arie, did ya ever paint your mill? And I,ve looked back thru the posts and could not find a completed pic?

Nope.. did not yet paint it.. still no enclosure as well..

but!... at the moment i'm working in a machine factory in the engineering dept., maybe i can sneak an enclosure of some kind between the drawings i send to the machining dept..

some plexiglass windows and the screen mounted in one of the doors..

More news to come as well.. i will be working together with another guy from holland, who makes CNC controls that work with the USB port: http://www.usbcnc.com , plan is to make a new GUI that will have the look and feel of a professional control, like Heidenhain for instance..

Bert is upt to some nice things...

there's only one lil' problem.. when the machine is finished, i can't put it in the trunk of my car anymore... ( can you believe it, my machine was small enough to fit in the back of my mid-engined Matra sportscar )

beautiful lawn especially red roses:-)

well.. roses are another hobby of mine.. used to do that for a living years ago..still love roses.. the garden is also ou own design.. why let anyone else do what you can do yourself?..

Page 10 of 22 8910111220