587,858 active members*
3,423 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: z axis noise

z axis noise

just got a used 1996 fadal 3016 there is a growling sound in z , where to start?

thrust bearings, amplifier card .ball
    screw
    any help would be great

thanks john

Quote Originally Posted by johnmckeown View Post
    just got a used 1996 fadal 3016 there is a growling sound in z , where to start?

thrust bearings, amplifier card .ball
    screw
    any help would be great

thanks john
    Call FADAL service, and ask to talk to a tech. I'm sure if there is a service tech on hand, might give you some useful information as to a probable cause.
    Safety - Quality - Production.

If you jog in rapid and the sound is similar to a wind up or down sound then I would suspect the ball screw. Thrust bearing would give you a more constant deeper growling sound. The only adjustment on the amp card would be the COMP POT wigch might be used to quiet down a noisy motor.

Neal

z axis noise

thanks neil
    would you go direct to fadal and get the top bearing block also or just the ball screw?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmckeown View Post
    thanks neil
    would you go direct to fadal and get the top bearing block also or just the ball screw?
    The ball screw and the brg mount come together.

Neal

Wait before you buy anything verify the issue. It could even be bad bearings in your servo motor! We have three of these axis motors to rebuild and its really just the bearings causing the loud noise in all three.

We always support Fadal Engineering OEM parts for any repairs on your machine, however if you are mechanical and want to repace the bearings and seals yourself, we can provide the same bearings and seals for the ballscrew bearing mount as you find with OEM. The money savings is worth the effort, and we can walk you through the process. If you would give me a call on the phone when it's conventient for you, I can also troubleshoot with you and determine if your problem is ballscrew, bearings, motor or amp adjustments. I am available at 208-891-4877.

Best regards,
    Brian D.
    www.FadalCNC.com

BALL SCREW

JUST REPLACED Z AXIS BALLSCREW IN MY 1998 FADAL

I BOUGHT A REBUILT SCRE FROM FADAL FOR $1300.00 (1 YEAR WARRANTY)
    I ALSO PURCHASED A NEW BEARING SET WITHOUT THE MOUNT. (THE MOUNT WILL BE OVER $500.00 THE MOUNT IS THE BLACK ALUMINUM ASSEMBLY THAT CONTAINS THE BEARINGS)

I THINK THE BEARING SET INCLUDING SEALS WAS UNDER 100.00

IT TOOK THE SERVICE GUY 2.5 HRS. TO TEAR DOWN. REPLACE BEARINGS AND BALLSCREW. I ALSO HAD NEW MOTOR MOUNTS AND A BELT INSTALLED.

BAD DOG

ONE MORE THING

DEPENDING ON HOW LOUD THE NOISE IS AND IF THE Z-AXIS IS HOLDING TOLERANCE. LIVE WITH IT. IT'S NOT GOING TO HURT ANYTHING. THE ONLY REASON I REPLACED IT ON THAT MACHINE WAS IT GOT SO LOUD ON EVERY RAPID MOVE, IT DROVE EVERYONE NUTS.

EVEN AFTER 4 MONTHS OUR REMAN. SCREW IS STARTING TO MAKE A LITTLE NOISE.

BAD DOG

try first

i think on your machine it has a tach take one eraser on the end of a pencil
    and clean the tach with it while moving z up and down first elimate this first
    then check your reslover

If you are not convinced it is mechanical, it is quickest to swap amplifiers first and see if the noise follows the amp, then swap motors with the X axis, and if you find the noise is in the motor, or caused by it somehow, proceed with Gixxer337's idea. Never hurts, but truly there is no reason to start examining bark on the trees until you make sure you are at least in the correct part of the forrest with the problem. Time is always money when I show up to troubleshoot machines in Idaho, so I do the half split method frequently to split out mechanical from electrical. Oh, one last thought. Run your Z axis down towards the table so to expose the ballscrew, e-stop the machine and just grab the ballscrew by hand and rock it back and fourth. Make sure it feels smooth, and if not, your issue is mechanical to begin with and you will have to resolve the rough screw issue first, then move on to electrical if the problem is not resolved. Good luck.

Brian D.

Drop the head on a block on the table and remove your Z-axis motor. Next try to jog Z and see if its the motor. We have had bearings and brushes go in our axis motors making them sound VERY rough.

I had a resolver go in the z axis motor. It made a real loud squealing noise. I was sure it was something more serious like the thrust bearing The tech figured it out right away.