As I newbie, I'd like to submit my suggestions as well. I've spent hours gleaning the web for information. Benny, you are off to a good start. Basically, I knew I needed steppers and a driver board. As to Unipolar, bipolar, I didn't know. As to what size steppers I needed, I didn't know. As for software, again I didn't know. What I have discovered so far is that the chopper style driver board that I bought from hobbyCNC was a good choice. The 174 oz/in steppers were a good choice. I found TurboCNC shareware that allowed me to spin the motors. Now I need some kind of CAD/CAM and some understanding of G-Code and this seems to be my current sticking point. No one seems to make a basic CAD/CAM program cheaply or shareware for a hobbiest. Nor have I found a good G-Code tutorial. I'd gladly hand code a few programs to get the feel of it all. Mind you, I haven't fully explored cnczone, I'm working on it.

Take note software developers:

I'd like a basic CAD/CAM program without tons of overwhelming features and a steep learning curve. Something that could do a basic part like you would be able to do with a manual mill and a rotary table. I'd like this to be a freeware program to get me interested aka "hooked" on your product & it's manner of navigation then I could pay to upgrade to the full featured program. More so, I'd like to only buy the features or modules that I need as I need them and as I learn them. It's overwhelming to have all the icons and features choices as I'm trying to do something as basic as draw a square box. Seriously, this is intimidating for a first time CAD user. It should be more intuative to draw something as simple as a box or circle without reading a doc for two hours. If I want a text engraving module, or raster module, then I'll gladly pay to have that feature enabled. Same with all the wireframe and solid surface stuff. Include the tutorials as part of the package. Offer the very basic core software for free and sell me the rest. As I learn CAD/CAM I'll find the need to do increasingly sophisticated operations. As of right now, CAD/CAM software is my sticking point, if anyone has suggestions, let me know. I don't want to shell out $500+ for a software package that I may never need or master. The easier it is to learn, like turboCNC, the more enthused I am about it. I'll gladly betatest or work with a developer on this. I know that it is a considerable sticking point for other newbies like myself.

It would be nice to group all this info in one place. Have a intro to CNC type FAQ or forum where folks can build the same basic demo type CNC machine from a set of plans, cheaply using off the shelf parts. Kind of like they do for High School shop or robotic classes.
Use a wood frame, drawer slides, all-thread, cheap steppers, readily available couplers & hardware, a Dremel or a pen even and the software. Folks can sit down, lash the thing together, go ooh, ahhh and learn how it all works then move to something advanced like converting a mill or lathe or building a CNC router or plasma cutter. Right now, I'd be thrilled if I could make a machine draw a square box on a piece of paper. I continue to spend hours searching for information, currently searching for CAD/CAM software, to get more involved in CNC. I get bits and pieces all over the web but no significant chunk in one place. I'm going to do my best to document my journey and perhaps it will be a useful addition to this and other sites.