587,790 active members*
3,332 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Can a old dog learn new tricks?

Can a old dog learn new tricks?

I don't post much but read everything. I've been in machining over 25 years and been running 2 vertical Mazaks machining centers with Fanuc controls just as long.
    Well after constant break drowns,and constant nagging (on my part) the owner of the company I work for decided to buy a new machine and to break out of the 1980's and into the 2000's.
    So I gathered all the various info on the latest machines and decided that the Haas VF-8 would suit our needs and then some.
    I'm excited at this opportunity and challenge of having a new machine but at the same time a little nervous at the different control and programming that comes with it.I know in time it will be old hat and hopefully I will be running it better then the 2 dinosaurs (Mazaks) in time.
    I actually feel a little excited about going to work lately (is that bad).
    Haas should of been here today 2/5 but maybe tomorrow,and up and running by next week.(got to get it paid for)
    So I might be by to ask a question or 2.
    Thanks
    Dave

Hey Dave,

I predict that you are going to love the control. We have had our first Haas (a VF5-50)for about a year now and it has been a great machine. Hopefully you ordered the probing option.

Paul

HAAS is a beautiful control. Very user friendly. 3 years ago I left mazatrol for Haas and was profecient in a day or two.

Steve

I'm really looking forward to this new machine.I've been reading the programming and control manual for 2 months and now I need the vf8/50 in front me to see what the manuals are talking about.
    We were suppose to have the machine the week of 2/11 but the riggers are so busy that they won't be able to deliver and install until the last week of this month.So the Haas is at the riggers in their warehouse,sitting.But while it sets, the powers that be plan to turn the whole cnc area around,moving 4 other machines out of the way and to move this into a position that places the older machines closer to the exit door waiting for their demise.
    I will take pics of the delivery and install and post them.