587,657 active members*
3,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Auto bar feeder

Has anyone been able to come up with a safe and reliable bar feeder for the CNC conversions. I looked at the one Haas has for the SL10 series and it doesn't appear to be more than a piece of pipe with a pnuematic ram and something to measure the distance it moved. Seems like it wouldn't be hard to copy that for the DIY crowd. At $2995.00 that seems a little steep to me for what it is.

Have you done a search on cnczone using 'bar feed'? You might find something.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Before we purchased our first bar feeder ( $30,000 ) we used a spring collet mounted in one of the tool positions on our CNC. We made one holder with changeable jaws to fit tight on the stock we were using. Then you just stop the chuck, align the collet to X0, force it onto the stock, open the chuck and pull the stock out to where you need it, then close the chuck and pull the collet off the stock. Cost is SMALL when you compare it to buying a bar feeder. Just remember that the collet needs to be just tight enough to pull the stock, not so tight that it pushes the stock back in the chuck before you open it.

Larry

Larry,I used to do the same,only I used a feed finger from an auto instead of a collet.As I have thousands of feed fingers I made an adapter for the turret to screw them into.
    Mark.