587,694 active members*
3,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 98 of 109 488896979899100108
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2171
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdammeyer View Post

On the idea of a 'stamp' for a DC servo. I've been thinking along the same line but my initial 'stamp' would have a set of pins arranges so that they would be pin for pin compatible with the ATMEL processor used in the UHU controller.

That way, everything on the power/interface side is already done, tested and working. If I was going to use a USB device for the programming I'd put it on the piggy back board too. A replacement module for the UHU processor (granted more expensive) could be retrofitted to existing UHU boards out there.

Given how good Uli's version is I'm not sure what the advantage would be. I have a different motive since I want access to the encoder value as part of my Electronic Lead Screw R&D and I want to be able to have more direct control over the motor. I also want a CAN bus interface. But that's not for everyone.

John
    I have been thinking about compatibility to older version HP UHU boards, it is not that simple, we could be replacing most of the logic circuit including what is now the cycle to cycle peak current limiting circuit (4013), and the current comparators. Depending on the processor selected for the final design, power supply, logic levels (3.3V) and even the Mosfet drivers (including the Power Mosfets used) could be different.

I don't want to leave the current users of the HP UHU boards without an upgrade path, so a solution will be developed, even if developing a different "stamp" be necessary.

The most probable outcome is that the HP UHU "upgrade stamp", to be plugged on the current UHU chip's socket, be developed before the other version, but it depends on Uli's workload, and as I said before, he is so overloaded he still has not committed to participate in the project, so this is still a 100% project for the near future...(Since it is being developed now on my mind's drawing board, it will become a real tangible product, I have no doubts)

Thanks,

Kreutz.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz View Post
    Your stamp seems to be in an advanced development stage, by making its footprint, power requirements, timing specs, and pin-out public, it could also be made compatible to the DC servo high power stage. I will continue reading your thread, it is very interesting.
    The VSD-stamp project should be fast and easy one since all technology has been already developed for it. I just need to rip stuff out of VSD-E and add pin headers and modify firmware a little. Sale price of the stamp should be very affordable (maybe 35-40 EUR in high enough volumes). Price depends very much on manufacturing costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    The VSD-stamp project should be fast and easy one since all technology has been already developed for it. I just need to rip stuff out of VSD-E and add pin headers and modify firmware a little. Sale price of the stamp should be very affordable (maybe 35-40 EUR in high enough volumes). Price depends very much on manufacturing costs.
    Xerxes;

It took me more than 3 hours to read your initial thread, found it really interesting and took a few notes.

Some time ago I decided to work on a similar project using the 56F8000 series. What stopped me, at that time, was the cost of the CodeWarrior software development system, now it is free for up to 16 Kb code. Later I read about your work and decided not to re-invent the wheel. Congratulations for a work well done!!.

After all that reading I have a pretty good idea of what is inside your DSC stamp, I have been also analyzing the "Free Master" approach to a tuning/configuration interface using virtual RS232 communication, HTML pages, and scripts for the user interface, including tuning charts. Still need to dedicate more time to study the use of the same concept without having to use the freescale chips.

I think your stamp will be welcomed, and the target prices seem good (at least for the EU user). As a plus, not having to develop a new user interface is really attractive.

Since I will have to wait for a while before starting the new version DC servo drive project, maybe it will be a viable approach by then. I will probably ask you a lot of questions when the time comes.... The first observation is that it will be necessary to automatically identify the power stage attached to the stamp, so the software enables certain configuration options depending on the power stage type, it could be done by reading a hardwired code on the power stage PCB.

By the way, how did you solve the DSC programming? Did you send the chips already programed to the assembly house, or programmed them when the boards arrived?

Thanks,

Kreutz.

Kreutz,

I didn't use any of those "Free Master" features etc provided by CodeWarrior. I pretty much coded everything my self. That way I have 100% understanding over the firmware in drive. Custom code is also more optimized causing less overhead to DSC.

I'm planning to abandon the "power stage ID" feature. Instead power stage parameters would be configurable to DSC flash. Configuration could be one time programmable so end user couldn't tweak drive beyond manufacturer's ratings possibly damaging the power stage. The stamp is an OEM product intented to be included in third party drives as fixed part.

We get boards from factory unprogrammed & untested. However this might change since assembly house would want do testing in house for warranty reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    Kreutz,

I didn't use any of those "Free Master" features etc provided by CodeWarrior. I pretty much coded everything my self. That way I have 100% understanding over the firmware in drive. Custom code is also more optimized causing less overhead to DSC.

I'm planning to abandon the "power stage ID" feature. Instead power stage parameters would be configurable to DSC flash. Configuration could be one time programmable so end user couldn't tweak drive beyond manufacturer's ratings possibly damaging the power stage. The stamp is an OEM product intented to be included in third party drives as fixed part.

We get boards from factory unprogrammed & untested. However this might change since assembly house would want do testing in house for warranty reasons.
    Thanks,

I will keep following your threads.

Regards,

Kreutz

The ELS stuff is also documented (a little bit) at:

http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS

...........John
    Thanks,

Kreutz.

I've finally got everything ordered and am starting to assemble my UHU drive for testing. If my 2KVA isolation transformer and filter CAP's arrive I should be testing early next week.

I had a question on the schematics which call for regulated 15 volts on jumper 6. If all this 15 volts is doing is providing power to the L7805 regulator the voltage should be specified as a range. The regulator specs list from 7 to 35 volts, 9-24 is probably reasonable.

Should the schematic specify a range? My mill already has 24 volts available for relays and solenoids that is controlled by the E-Stop.

Roger
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by vrsculptor View Post
    I've finally got everything ordered and am starting to assemble my UHU drive for testing. If my 2KVA isolation transformer and filter CAP's arrive I should be testing early next week.

I had a question on the schematics which call for regulated 15 volts on jumper 6. If all this 15 volts is doing is providing power to the L7805 regulator the voltage should be specified as a range. The regulator specs list from 7 to 35 volts, 9-24 is probably reasonable.

Should the schematic specify a range? My mill already has 24 volts available for relays and solenoids that is controlled by the E-Stop.

Roger
    No voltage range at that input!!!, Only a 15Vdc Regulated power supply should be used!!! Minimum 2Amps (could be shared between all the drives (3)). That power supply is required for the Mosfet drivers!!!

Regards,

Kreutz.

Hello,
    185V 8Amp nothing burn and the threadmill motor i use work perfect i have done it wih my encoder at 512 lines i am going to test it at 1024
    of course i never manage to reach 8 Amp i do not have such load
    i use the dump circuit of mariss i just increase the value of 1 resistance
    at the full acceleration i lost 15 Volts for less than 1/2
    seconde so i think that i must increase my bank of capacitor actually 11000mF
    when i use it for positioning it's very impressive
    the board hardly reach 35degrees
    despite that 185Volt it's a lot
    despite the fact that i use a logic door for my encoder
    despite that i have no valid electromagnetic protection
    this board work like a dream
    i did not experiment any problem
    i am going to make the other one
    sale my rutex 2020 which i do not trust at 180V
    and buy 3 other hp uhu (i am making the electronic part for his big mill)
    bravo Kreutz/Ulli you make a good team because the soft of Ulli is really good too
    There is nothing like this board on the market right now at even 3 tme the price after i do not know
    at full speed the variation are +-2steps

Quote Originally Posted by rokag3 View Post
    Hello,
    185V 8Amp nothing burn and the threadmill motor i use work perfect .....
    this board work like a dream
    i did not experiment any problem
    Congratulations!!, Enjoy!! Show us a video...

HP UHU Drive stories

rokag3 & ALL,
    Glad to hear of your success stories, the drive is really working well at the "C" revision. Any & All who are building our drive, Please build to the "C" revision! !!!
    All information required is on this list.............................................. ..
    I've been very busy with paying work BUT will get back to my mill project in a couple of weeks. I've all ready revised one card to the "C" revision & will change the others before anything additional is done with the mill. This feels SO GOOD. the HP UHU team has really struggled with this project at times.
    HOORAY FOR US ALL
    Paul

problems video

i have a video mpeg of 6 sec. 2.1 meg how to send it
    i have bigger video too

i have bigger video too
    Maybe you can e-mail the videos to Irfan, he has posted videos before..

Thanks,

Kreutz.

i have bigger video too
    just make an account on http://www.youtube.com/ , upload the videos and post here the links ...
    We are waiting badly for new movies....
    Jozsi

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVoz7SSbW4o&feature=user

hope it work
    i will try to make something better
    if you look on aoter video you will see my roller screw another big problem for cnc lathe

hope it work
    if you look on aoter video you will see my roller screw another big problem for cnc lathe

Hello,

It left me wanting to see more...

Thank you,

Kreutz.

hope it work
    Hi, thanks for the video, watching the longer one I can recognise an oscillation at stop ... increase the H value ! The basic settings are for smaller motors ...
    Jozsi

On the idea of a 'stamp' for a DC servo. I've been thinking along the same line ............
    Given how good Uli's version is I'm not sure what the advantage would be. ..........

John
    I agree about the original UHU chip being very good. Its main advantages are:

-Simplicity
    -Low cost

The reasons behind developing a newer version are:

1-Need for > 1000 ppr encoders
    2-Need for higher than 150 K steps per second
    3-Need to integrate new safety features.
    4-The need to keep it simple and low cost, like its predecessor.

Number 3 could be solved without modifying the UHU chip code, but it would involve adding more components. The main safety concern (reason for the added safety features) being Motor run-away if encoder pulses are not received (due to encoder/cable failure) when movement is commanded (which is really scary due to the high power capacity of the motors driven by the HP UHU boards).

The reason behind a complete USB interface is that newer laptops already come without Rs-232 serial ports. It will also allow us to save on the Db-9 connector, Max232n chip + associated components, while also letting us to shrink a little more the PCB into a smaller form factor (4" x 5.5"x 1.5" including heat-sink). It is being proven that power stage heating is not a problem at all, so it is not required to be so big...

Regards,

Kreutz.

The main safety concern (reason for the added safety features) being Motor run-away if encoder pulses are not received (due to encoder/cable failure) when movement is commanded (which is really scary due to the high power capacity of the motors driven by the HP UHU boards).

i make test with linear encoder from printer on a wood support everything fixed with tape and offering a comfortable +-5mm backslash
    then the motor was running if i was taking the stripe out of the encoder
    :idea:why not to add a little optobridge or hall efect sensor
    add a little circuit at the input of the encoder signal who count the number of changing state until 2 for example and make AND with the safety index (SI)
    if SI<>SIMemory And CountChangingState then error else simemory =SI :CountChangingState=0
    this will give only worst case 1 revolution without control and best case the length of the sensor
    should not be so difficult to add
    after all we have to make a 15 v power suply a power dump a bridge connector sometime a copy of AB to AA+BB+ one more little circuit will not scare us (less than a 1440 Watts motor without control)

hello,
    by the way we can add to this little circuit the index fonction and because it's outside the board can be used by other controller(chair)

Page 98 of 109 488896979899100108