588,597 active members*
10,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread inserts for wood

I was testing some fasteners for MDF/Partical board and came up with some very interesting results most noteably with thread inserts. I was using a thread insert from Mcmaster-Carr part # 92105A100.
    My Results were as follows:

Partical Board 3/4" thick x1"x1" Face pull force 403 lbf, end pull force 270 lbf: MDF 3/4" thick x1"x1" Face pull force 108 lbf end pull force 225 lbf.

The results for the 1/4"-20 threded directly into the wood 3/4" are as follows:

Partical Board 3/4"x1x1 Face 370 lbf End 299 lbf.
    MDF 3/4"x1x1 Face 139 lbf End 295 lbf.

I noticed that many of the hobby cnc plans call for threads tapped directly into the MDF, I was worried about the strength of this so I ran my tests and found that if you don't plan on taking it apart, threading directly into the wood isn't a big deal.

These tests were run on an Admet pull/compression testing machine.

Louis

You don't say what size the inserts were but as you compared them with 1/4-20 I guess they were 1/4-20.

Your face results are almost the same as I found in similar testing.

Here is a slight extension to your test which I found may a significant difference. Countebore the pilot hole for the insert to the insert OD size for a depth of about 0.10".

What I observed happening with the insert just screwed into the pilot hole was that a crack in the surface of the mdf would start at the point where the OD thread on the insert cut its way into the hole; then the insert would pull out slightly sideways.

With the counterbore the entry cut is below the surface of the mdf and a crack does not start at the entry point. The insert pulls out straight up and the retention is at least 30% stronger.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I guess I should have posted the specs:

Type
    Self-Tapping

Self-Tapping Type
    Knife-Thread Hex Drive with Flange

For Use With
    Wood

Application
    Create New Threads

Material
    Steel

Steel Type
    Die Cast Zinc-Alloy

Finish/Coating
    Plain

System of Measurement
    Inch

Internal Thread Size
    1/4"-20

Internal Thread Fit
    2B

Insert Length
    33/64"

Drill Size
    23/64"

Hex Key
    M6

Flange Thickness
    .010" - .020"

These are the same inserts that are used on occasion in RTA Furniture.

You contradict yourself a little; Die Cast Zinc alloy is not a type of steel it is a Zinc alloy.

The inserts I tested were the pretty close to the same OD and length and had the knife style thread but they did not have a flange and used a screwdriver slot for inserting. These were made out of steel, leaded steel was my guess because I faced some off to test a shorter length and they machined just like leaded steel.

I had some of the zinc alloy ones but did not use them because my application involved frequent disassembly and the zinc alloy was just too soft and chewed away.

That was a direct paste from Mcmaster-Carr, I saw it too but I was to lazy to change it.

Now that does give you a lot of faith in the reliability of their information.

A little bit of CA glue will make those threads a bit stronger and allow you to take it apart and reassemble. I would be curious to see what CA would do to your tests.

Gary

I'll have to look into that. I was thinking about that, that is how I mount engines on model airplanes instead of using blind nuts, saves on weight.

Louis

Anyone used T-NUTS.
    They will not pull out.
    WJF
    The More I Learn The Less I Seem To Know