587,307 active members*
3,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Modbus and DL05 PLC in Mach 3

Hi all
    Did several searches and did not come up with anything that showed how to specifically setup a DL05 with the modbus. Although there were good videos on the Mach site that got me going in the right direction.

Found on the automation directs web site a excel spread sheet for the calculation to decimal address, here is the link.
    http://support.automationdirect.com/...conversion.xls , you use the last four digits for the address in Mach3.

Here are some pictures of the setup I used, at this time I only have it setup for the discrete inputs and coil outputs. A $75 BOB for now. I plan to set-up a e-stop ladder logic and have it act as a charge-pump in some regards, by not turning on the power to the drives until Mach gives the PLC a signal.

Thanks
    Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PortsandPins.JPG   ModBusStatusControl.JPG  

Hi Glenn,

The videos on the Mach support site should answer any questions you have.

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/

What questions do you want answered?

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Peter
    Thanks for the link, I had used the first section on Introduction to ModBus to help me do the set-up, and never made it all the way down to the one on Serial Plugin ModBus.

I don't have any questions at this time, I am still gathering all of my parts to start my build so other than playing around making sure everything is talking I have not got very far into it.
    Thanks again.
    Glenn

Glen,

I have tried to setup my Dl05 to work with mach3 with only a little success.

mach sees the inputs alright but it does not turn on the outputs on the plc.

I have everything set up as your screenshots, only difference is the 8-1-N I have it as an 8-1-O. And instead of ticking the option to use pins 0-63 i have pins 64-127 on the inputs

I have set my input 1, input 2, input 3, and input 4 as pins 64, 65, 66, and 67 respectively,
    I can get my input leds to light up in the mach diagnostics page.

I cant get my outputs to work, what pin numbers are you using for your outputs in the ports and pins config page on mach 3?

Did you add any line of programming on the plc programing software? or just set it up for slave modbus?

Regards
    Fernando

Run the testing

Fernando

Go to the Testing page and see if you can get an output come on there first.

I did not end up using the setup as shown after Peter's reply. I looked at the videos again and set it up that way using Serail Modbus plugin . I have been meaning to get new screen shots to replace those but have not gotten around to it.

I will try and get that done when I get off work tonight.

I have setup a simple brain in Mach.

The plc I think has 4 lines of logic. A timer that is reset by the charge pump pulse making sure the PC hasn't hung up. Inputs from an E-stop and my limit switches that turn off and on a output to a relay that controls the power supply for the drives.
    I also have a relay for turning off and on the router motor.

If you can please watch the videos as Peter suggests. That will get you most of the way there. The ones about Brains and Serial Plugin Modbus will be the most helpful in this case.

Glenn

Pictures of setup

Fernando
    Right or wrong this is what I did. Seems to work.
    Hope it might help
    Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PLC.jpg   brain.JPG  

Thanks Glen,

I turned out that i ahd to add an END rung on the plc program for it to work. i got it working now!

Thanks a lot!
    Regards
    Fernando

Fernando,

You do have to setup a program in the plc, I think it can be just a simple one line NOP and then an end of program line. Then the PLC has to be in the run mode.

Arnie

oops,

looks like I was about 30 seconds late with the answer.

Arnie

Thanks Arnie,

Quick question, anyone knows how to send dro values from mach3 to the plc?

Im trying to set dro's for timer values, to be used as parameter to timers inside the plc.

Regards
    Fernando