588,344 active members*
5,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Ball Nut

The ball nut that you have pictured is actually two nuts in oposition to each other. They are screwed towards each other on the screw and are spaced apart by a two piece spacer. These spacers are held in place by the two black retainers that are just showing above the mount. The only way to change the preload on the two nuts is to change the thickness of the spacers between them. I haven't tried this but that is the way they work. I speak from experience as I succeded in spilling all of the balls out of my Y axis and had the pleasure of re-assembling them. Hope this helps you understand how they work.

OM

Quote Originally Posted by Old Megawatts View Post
    The ball nut that you have pictured is actually two nuts in oposition to each other. They are screwed towards each other on the screw and are spaced apart by a two piece spacer. These spacers are held in place by the two black retainers that are just showing above the mount. The only way to change the preload on the two nuts is to change the thickness of the spacers between them. I haven't tried this but that is the way they work. I speak from experience as I succeded in spilling all of the balls out of my Y axis and had the pleasure of re-assembling them. Hope this helps you understand how they work.

OM
    I may have my technical terms all wrong which I have no doubt that I'm speaking jibberish. That's good to know and I'll keep that in mind. I hope I never have to go that route and have to take the ball screw nut assembly apart.

Even still the ball screw rod can move back and forth if the retaining nut is not set. I've got it assembled now and have the nut with a few pounds of torque and the backlash is now 0.003". Took a break to make some lunch. Back to the garage to see if I can get out the last few thous.

Wayne

Page 2 of 2 12