588,107 active members*
5,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gearbox vibration

So the spindle is vibrating in both low and high gear across basically all rpm ranges. Some rpms are worse than others but thier all bad. It's a VF2 20HP Vector drive 10K spindle.
    I've taken off the drive belts and the vibration is still there. It feels like its coming from the spindle motor rather than the transmission, but I dont know how to isolate specifically where its coming from.
    The owner is basically not interested in replacing the entire unit and is wanting me to try and get the motor and or transmission serviced, but I need to figure out which one is the problem.
    Anyone know a way to disconect the transmission from the motor without removing the entire unit from the machine?

It would be very hard to remove the gearbox pan with out at least raising the assembly up some, and it would be a lot safer to just bring it down and on the ground at that point.

Haas offers a 50% core for the Tranny/motor assembly (untouched) and is usually the best/cost efficent way. (when you factor in your down time) Especially if there is large vibration. Haas doesn't sell individual internal parts.

Should only take 4-6 hours to make the swap and start making chips again.