588,225 active members*
4,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Okay, I've checked out a few stuff over the weekend. You're program works, though some tweaking will be required to make it perfect as the dimensions are of, but only by fractions(so not that big a problem).

I've also checked out the other way of converting all the Angle dimensions to Y dimensions. Though my first attempt was flawed, I think I got it figured out to make it accurate enough to cut on CNC. This way is going to be much easier in the end because I have one program and not a lot of tiny programs.

Thanks Kiwi for all the help I really appreciate it. And that program is definitely going to be saved, very handy (especially if I get an oversized square or rectangle to cut). I'll let you know if it was a success or not, prolly gonna cut at the end of the week.

Thanks again!

Not sure why there is a fraction of a error, can go to more decimal places if required.
    I altered the program to cover both halves of the flats and the 120deg spacing.
    Copy attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

After studying your method, I'm not sure that the path can be converted as the radius to a X dim and the 120 deg to a Y dimension. This may work for the constant radius, but the flat and the small radii cutting points are not always between the centre of the cutter and the disc axis point. In the picture below shows this measurement as 0.188mm, when cutter is 10mm, Flat 35mm, Flat X as 460mm. Is this the error that you referred to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Details2.JPG  

Okay, I think the both of us are misinterpreting each other at the moment. I will send a .dxf of the part as soon as I arrive at work tomorrow. I will also send an .dxf of the straight profile I created. It's not perfect either, as you said, on the flat there are some differences on the two, but at such a small fraction it's not even worth the effort to fix it.

Do note however that I didn't take the angle and plot it directly on the straight profile, I used the biggest radius and measured each point through the arc length. Then I scaled the Y down so that it measures 120. But before I get too technical, I'll post the dxf's tomorrow and we can go on from there.

Oh, I used your program on the main part, not my flat profile. Plotted a line at the degrees it came up with and measured the length. But, knowing myself I probably screwed up so maybe you can just double check for me when you get the dxf's.

(BTW are you using solidworks? If you are I can send you the solids I created with all the sketches still in place.)

Quote Originally Posted by Un4givn View Post
    ...(BTW are you using solidworks? If you are I can send you the solids I created with all the sketches still in place.)
    Yes...SW2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    The VB loop output is the angle and the X dimension so only the 'A' and 'X' need to be added to become GCode.

As the output is made up of 'A' rotations and 'G01 X' movements there is very little GCode knowledge required....

For this exercise you need to understand where the tool should be as the disc rotates so a basics of trig is required. I do a drawing with CAD to confirm the figures.
    So this one falls out in the category of simple yet magnificent programs

Many thanks Kiwi for this great explanation.

cnc2.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc2 View Post
    So this one falls out in the category of simple yet magnificent programs ...
    Here is the loop that does the calculations. I have added the values for the end point in place of the variables for help to follow.

Private Sub Command1_Click()
    MaxAngle = 2.1553
    For Angle = 0 To MaxAngle Step 1
    X = (460 + (10/2)) / Cos(Angle / 180 * 3.14159)
    GCode = GCode & "A" & Angle & " X" & X & Chr(13) & Chr(10)
    Next Angle
    txtCode.text = GCode
    End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Here is the loop that does the calculations. I have added the values for the end point in place of the variables for help to follow.

Private Sub Command1_Click()
    MaxAngle = 2.1553
    For Angle = 0 To MaxAngle Step 1
    X = (460 + (10/2)) / Cos(Angle / 180 * 3.14159)
    GCode = GCode & "A" & Angle & " X" & X & Chr(13) & Chr(10)
    Next Angle
    txtCode.text = GCode
    End Sub

Oh that's tight man ! Thanks a lot !

You also made it open source
    The code is much simpler than it looked like when it was hiding behind that interface

I could implement it in C or pascal but it wouldn't look so good because i'm still programming in DOS (& run it in the command prompt)& i've a basic knowledge of OOP & i'm thinking about VB now.

Thanks for sharing !
    cnc2.

Page 2 of 2 12