587,593 active members*
3,838 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by tbenefi33 View Post
    Ok I'm having problems with the 1/2" MDF for the base boards support a couple done split on me how many of you nailed or gluded the base board and the cutting bed support ?
    If you nail or screw or bolt MDF you always have to pre-drill, it is awful for splitting. I never nail only use through bolts and glue wherever possible and lags or screws where I can't go through .

Hello I'm still here I just took a little break My dad came down and visited me hung out with him for while.

Well I'm on the build I figure out why my gantry coner blocks was splitting evertime I didn't have the roller bangering on the other side and using a rubber mallet also help. Who ever deside to build one of these Plese listen to the one who all ready have do not hit the MDF with a reuglar hammer I had to learn the hard way and read the instruction 2 or 5 time. It never hurts to look over the instruction if your are unsure of what's going on if your still unsure ask some one on here.

I got to redo a the right or left gantry I hand the roller bearing, and the corner block on there when I went to put on the front gantry part I screwing
    in the 1/4"-20 x 1 1/2" the bottom corner split on me bummer. Glad that won't take long to cut Hopefully tomarrow should be done with the gantry
    at least..lol

Hay I got the gantry corner block right this time there not spliting on me..
    If you ever drill a hole towards the end of MDF put a small 2" clamp on the side that will prevent it from spliting and also predrill that help alot also.

I got the left and right gantry done and x ,y , and z roller bearing done, I the gantry front done still haven't drilled out the hole for the 1/2-10 acme straight not sure what size to drill for a tap for a 1/2-10 straight acme threaded rod ? I need to redo the gantry bottom its not lining up right bummer.

on the gantry bottom pic where you drill the 9/32 hole to line up with the gantry coner block for there the 3" 1/4-20 bolt goes through do you drill another hole bigger so it can be flush with gantry bottom ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jgro cnc build log gantry bottom.jpg   Jgro cnc build log gantry left.jpg   Jgro cnc build log gantry right.jpg   Jgro cnc build log x and y roller bearing.jpg  

Hey, thanks for the build log. I'm building one myself right now and should probably start a thread of my own.

On the nail and splitting issue for the base, I had great luck using my pneumatic brad nailer with 18 ga. 1.25" nails. You can't nail too close to an edge, but by using the nails and some clamps, I was able to get the thing together pretty well. No predrilling.

And I hear you on the MDF and the dust it creates. What a mess. I don't have dust collection on my table saw. So what I did was to open two windows in my basement, and put a big fan in one pointing out. Then I cut all my MDF over about two days. I wore a dust mask. The fans make a big difference. You could see the vortex of swirling MDF dust flying out the window. Even still, though, it threw more dust all over everything beyond anything I've experienced! Once I was done I went around and shop-vac'd everything up. It machines really nice but sure is a mess to work with. Should paint up nice too.

Well hello guys I'm totaly bummed out I got end my build cause my Heart Dr. He seen me that I was sneezing and caughing up this MDF stuff he told me to quit using MDF and find something elese to use he don't wont me take no chance of this stuff cause somekind of respatory problem later on I was like that totaly sucks One side of me like should I listen to him or not listen to him If I don't listen to him somthing may happen and I would feel like crap ahhh man this suck well here a pics of what was coming out of my nose if Yall like to see. I may just end up buying one. I got to totaly rethink this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jgro caughing up mdf.jpg  

Ok after thinking about it last night I'm finishing my build I"m getting a butcher apron from My uncle he a butcher and I'm gonna wear a full face tabagon I seen a guy on discovery channel wear one on one of the build show I don't have that much to do I'll work out side on the rest and I'll 3/4" plywood on some of the build Thank you forgetcolor for that tip I didn't think you could use plywood well back to continue to build Yall don't tell my Dr. OK....LOL

I'm back up from the dungeon I'm taking a break well I finaly got my gantry all most put together all I need is the the threaded rod, adjustment blocks and rails that will be it for that should be done tonight I'll post a pic tonight of that. That plywood tricks help its lining up a better and the small pice are not splitting. That a plus.

well I'm back up from the dungeon after a long battle with the Gantry I finaly got it done all I need to do is add the threaded rod that its :banana: Think I"ll work on the X axis tomorrow I got all the pices cut out just need to trim up some of them but should come along pretty good hopfully. Yall haave a good night sleep.

Hello ladies and gent well I got the gantry done was working on the x axis bearing mount one split bummer and I didn't route one part where the x axis nut support gose so guess I redo that tomorrow oh yah I got some bigger clamps for the base support support I'll beable to put that together. If you don't have an planter and own a drill press this works pretty good for small part here some pics it may be old school but it work for me...LOL This brings back the good oh hich school day wood working class.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc build gantry.jpg   cnc build lx axis bearing plate and roller  bearings.jpg   cnc build y bearing and bearing plate.jpg   cnc build drill press.jpg  

The gantry is looking real good. Did I mention to you, that I used wood screws everywhere instead of the tapped bolt holes. If you do use wood screws, don't forget to drill pilot holes for each screw.
    Dave

That's a good idea....

I'll try this in the areas I can't use the metal dowel nuts.

Well I working on the x axis sport and bearing and nut support I got everthing
    drawing out cut correctly I even cut a couple of pice twice when I wasn't sure about it any way the lead screw support if off should I rout the roller bearing deaper or just the lead screw support where it would fit ? You can see in the pic what I'm talking about both side have been routed to 5/16"
    it didn't fit like the drawing said at 1/4" hmmmm I'm missing somethin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc build x axis plate support.jpg  

Well I working on the x axis sport and bearing and nut support I got everthing
    drawing out cut correctly I even cut a couple of pice twice when I wasn't sure about it any way the lead screw support if off should I rout the roller bearing deaper or just the lead screw support where it would fit ? You can see in the pic what I'm talking about both side have been routed to 5/16"
    it didn't fit like the drawing said at 1/4" hmmmm I'm missing somethin.
    I what way is it not fitting... The roller bearings have to be acurate or it will throw off the whole machine. BB

It's the black lash nut support in the middle I may have to rout it out depper. On roller bearing support do you route the back side to 1/4" or 3/8" ?

It's the black lash nut support in the middle I may have to rout it out depper. On roller bearing support do you route the back side to 1/4" or 3/8" ?
    I don't remember but how I did it was to build it according to the plan and fit the back lash block to fit the slot. It seem to me the easiest way to do it. It did not require much fitting. was a good fit as I remember.

I went back down to the dungeon and looked at it i know what I did now,
    routed one side a little to much on the roller bearing and the other one I need to plane the bottom some more cause it was not straight and the middle part I need to sand one side down straight bummer looks like a redo
    oh well least I'm getting the hang of the router...LOL

Bummer here comes some more Rain hope its not raining tomorrow.

Talking

Well it didn' rain much :banana:

I finaly got the x axis plate done I redone them and it lines up a whole lot better Last time I think I didn't go deep enough for it to fit right but it fits now all I got to do is bolt the together and instead of dial rod I'll use screw thanks for tip Glidergider Dave.

Tomorrow guess I'll work on the base and bed support If don't rain I might take a break and go Fishing.

Is this the X axis plate man I need to learn my axis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc build x axis plate.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 123