587,124 active members*
3,461 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > New VF-3YT arriving in 2 weeks
Page 1 of 2 12

New VF-3YT arriving in 2 weeks

G'Day all
    We are to recieve a new VF-3YT in the next few weeks and while having some experience with the Haas controler on a TL-3B Lathe, this VMC will be something quite different I'm sure. Would apprieciate any tricks or tips for this machine. Cheers

Your going to love it

We had ours now going on 4 months.My son (18 yrs old)who just started with our company and with no machining background at all is picking this up with no problem. I also love the new controller,I thought I wasn't going to as our VF8/50 that is one year old was different.When the tech did some repairs on our VF8 he upgraded the software to the same version as the VF3YT,so it makes it easier when I or my son go from machine to machine.And having the extended travel doesn't suck either 40"X26".
    Dave

We are here for any doubts and I'm sure your local dealer also. Feel free to post any difficult about the control or send any drawings from the parts you need help about programing and tooling: [email protected]

Thank you all for choosing Haas Automation!!

Setting 76....lock out the tool change button on the keypad.

Quote Originally Posted by behindpropeller View Post
    Setting 76....lock out the tool change button on the keypad.
    +1000 2nd week of having out VF2, accidently hit the tool release button and watched the probe dive from the spindle:nono: into the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic6 View Post
    +1000 2nd week of having out VF2, accidently hit the tool release button and watched the probe dive from the spindle:nono: into the table.
    I'd be interested to see how many machines that have setting 76 set to ON are because the operator dropped a tool. That's why mine is ON...

Setting 76 should be ON from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Armech79 View Post
    G'Day all
    We are to recieve a new VF-3YT in the next few weeks and while having some experience with the Haas controler on a TL-3B Lathe, this VMC will be something quite different I'm sure. Would apprieciate any tricks or tips for this machine. Cheers
    This is a nice mill. Did you get the CAT40 or the CAT50??
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleddaved View Post
    We had ours now going on 4 months.My son (18 yrs old)who just started with our company and with no machining background at all is picking this up with no problem. I also love the new controller,I thought I wasn't going to as our VF8/50 that is one year old was different.When the tech did some repairs on our VF8 he upgraded the software to the same version as the VF3YT,so it makes it easier when I or my son go from machine to machine.And having the extended travel doesn't suck either 40"X26".
    Dave
    Can I ask a follow up question? I have a TM-1 that I bought in December of 2007 and I just took delivery on a new TL-1 today. Before I ordered the TL-1 I asked about getting an update to the software on my mill so that the control systems would be similar and thus easier to switch back and forth between for operators. The answer I got is that it would cost around $5,500 to update the TM-1 even though it was only a year old.

You are saying that they just came and updated your older machine for free?
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

Settings

Here is a list of all settings I use to change for my customers:

16 - Dry Run Lock Out - ON
    Dry run feature can be dangerous if unproperly used. If you want to use it, so turn it OFF only for specific usage. Another point is that the key is beside Single Block one, so can be easily pressed not intentionally.

36 - Program Restart - ON
    With this setting ON, whenever the cursor is positioned, machine will consider all features and function as if the cycle was ran since the beggining (including tool and offsets).

76 - Tool Release Lock Out - ON
    Due to the reasons already explained by the friends.

101 - Feed Overide -> Rapid - ON
    This way is easier an more safety to control positioning movements (G0), cause these will be controled the same way than feeding movements (by Jog Handle - and with 0 value available)

162 - Default To Float - ON
    Safety is never too much, and now there's no risk to ignore decimal point for integer values in CNC programs (much common in metric operation, but also useful for inches)

That's all, folks. I hope it can be useful for you!

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    This is a nice mill. Did you get the CAT40 or the CAT50??
    We thought about the 50 but it ended up bieng slightly out of our price range. I think the 40 will cover 90% of our work and we will sub out the rest.

Thanks for the imput

Thanks to all the replies on the VF-3YT, I will sort out those settings for sure.
    We have FeatureCAM to go with it, this should be good yeh?

Software Version Update

hercules,

What version of software are you running and do you have the coldfire processor?

I just visited my HFO yesterday and asked that question of their applications engineer. I told him my machine was built in late 2007 and delivered the first week of 2008 and had the new LCD screen and version M15 05 B software.

He told me that I could run the new software and it would take all of about 15 minutes to install it.

Also, I checked with the HAAS Factory some time back and they also told me that my machine TM-1P with the version M15 05 B software was capable of running the new version 16 software.

If you have that version of software you might want to give the factory a call to confirm what I have told you. If you have the correct version of software and the necessary hardware coldfired processer you should be able to run the new software.

Then it depends on how much your HFO wants to charge you for the 15 minute change over.

Last year they had a couple of issues with the change over process, but it is my understanding now that the conversion should work well.

Just some information that may be of help.

John

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    hercules,

What version of software are you running and do you have the coldfire processor?

I just visited my HFO yesterday and asked that question of their applications engineer. I told him my machine was built in late 2007 and delivered the first week of 2008 and had the new LCD screen and version M15 05 B software.

He told me that I could run the new software and it would take all of about 15 minutes to install it.

Also, I checked with the HAAS Factory some time back and they also told me that my machine TM-1P with the version M15 05 B software was capable of running the new version 16 software.

If you have that version of software you might want to give the factory a call to confirm what I have told you. If you have the correct version of software and the necessary hardware coldfired processer you should be able to run the new software.

Then it depends on how much your HFO wants to charge you for the 15 minute change over.

Last year they had a couple of issues with the change over process, but it is my understanding now that the conversion should work well.

John
    G'Day John, Checked with the dealer and we have the new version 16 and coldfire processor with new LCD screen. Sounds good to me! I'd say we're ready to roll.

feature cam is cool for fast jobs. I always wanted more control options. For complex production parts, Esprit, SolidCam, Mastercam, etc. Even the guys at feature cam will tell you to go bigger, Delcam powermill. When you really want total control, hand written is as custom as it gets. BS in BS out.

PowerMill looked good and we may work up to that, however I thought with our limited experience and that FeatureCam will sort our lathe jobs as well, it seemed like a good starting program.

Did you get it with this handle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4801.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    hercules,

John
    Thanks for replying John. I will check the software version. I do remeber reading on this board when you got your mill. I think you got yours a few weeks before I got mine so I would assume the software versions are similar.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

I didn't purchase our 08' vf3 with the remote jog handle. How much would this new jog handle cost as an after the fact add-on? Ballpark estimate?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crabbass View Post
    I didn't purchase our 08' vf3 with the remote jog handle. How much would this new jog handle cost as an after the fact add-on? Ballpark estimate?
    thanks
    No idea. You would have to call your local HFO.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Hey Toby, what's that manifold on the back wall of your machine?

Page 1 of 2 12