587,842 active members*
3,315 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V22 won't verify tool path? WHY? HELP!!
Page 3 of 4 1234
    Ok I think this is what you want
    Attached Files Attached Files

Centroid_Jim_121008.exe
    http://www.bobcadsupport.com/posts/i...Posts/Customer Specific&parent=/kunden/homepages/17/d229444852/htdocs/bobcadsupport/posts

Ok I got the files and see some different settings than I tested with in the profile feature. Also I got your post you use so I'll take a look in a bit and post back what I see.

FYI: if you look at your previous post where you posted the big long link, the forum software will break it up and truncate stuff and make it hard to be specific. If you ever need to post stuf and want it to stay exactly as you post it, use a tool on the posting toolbar that looks like a "Pound Sign" called "wrap Code Tags Around selected text". This will keep it in tact. JFYI.

Here's what it looks like:

Code:
    http://www.bobcadsupport.com/posts/index.php?start=/kunden/homepages/17/d229444852/htdocs/bobcadsupport/posts/BobCAD_V22_Mill_Posts/Customer%20Specific&parent=/kunden/homepages/17/d229444852/htdocs/bobcadsupport/posts
    If you click 3 times in that window, it will select everything and one can copy and paste it into the address bar.

CNC,
    Well I ran a first glance at your file. I see the nick your talking about.

A couple funny things. I ran it in Predator editor "Backplot" and it shows a smooth path. I ran it with the simple verify AND the Level 3 sim and it shows. I slowed it way down in the level 3 sim and the tool goes right past that area, and the nick just "disappears". The tool doesnt go in and cut it. I used contours to do it and the nick switched sides with the direction of the contour. ????

It seems to be tied to the "Offset Right" setting as no offset or offset left gets rid of it. (I think offset left produces a better looking sim BTW. THe inside of the S path looks much better)

I also offset the geometry by half the cutter width and ran no cutter offset with good results too.

This still doesnt answer what that is, and I will fool around a bit more and post back. Doesnt seem related to your post as I posted it with my post and get the same results.

Just to be clear, Have you cut this on a machine and got the nick??? (Just wondering why the verify and editor show 2 different results. I guess one is wrong here!)

Also FYI:

A .1 tool bit or higher, works with the offset right set. Anything under .1 produces the nick, but only in the verify. Would like to know if it did it on a machine!

If you cant test, I'll see what I can do but it would take a couple days to get to it.

cncjunky and Burrman,

The "nick" that you see is a graphics error. Burr was right, the tool goes past the position and the spot just appears. I was playing with zooming in and out on the part, and I got more "nicks" in the surface.

The integrated verification can show some weird results every once in a while. If you have the Editor upgrade, I would use that to verify the toolpath. You have the option of doing Solids, Animation or Toolpath. If you see a weird annomally in the solid or animation, you can turn on the toolpath to see if there was a move to that location or if it was just a gremlin.

The other thing to realize is that the Verify window runs off of the CutterLocation file and not the actual G-Code. The G-Code is what you run on the machine, the Editor allows you to backplot/simulate the G-Code itself.

Regards

Thanks One.

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    cncjunky and Burrman,

The "nick" that you see is a graphics error. Burr was right, the tool goes past the position and the spot just appears. I was playing with zooming in and out on the part, and I got more "nicks" in the surface.

The integrated verification can show some weird results every once in a while. If you have the Editor upgrade, I would use that to verify the toolpath. You have the option of doing Solids, Animation or Toolpath. If you see a weird annomally in the solid or animation, you can turn on the toolpath to see if there was a move to that location or if it was just a gremlin.

The other thing to realize is that the Verify window runs off of the CutterLocation file and not the actual G-Code. The G-Code is what you run on the machine, the Editor allows you to backplot/simulate the G-Code itself.

Regards
    Ok, well from what I have gotten from the verification and in the actual part is nicks. Now last night I was machining a different peice of geometry that had a simular arc/radius and I verified it and it showed nothing wrong. So I thought everything was alright, then I machined it and it left a even bigger nick then the stringray embelm had. The editor allows you to backplot the code, but you say you have to have the upgrade to do this, correct?

Yes correct.

In your last file I backplotted the Code And it showed no nick. Are you saying you cut the part and it nicked?

Yes, I cut the part and it nicked. I also machined a different peice of geometry that must have had a similiar arc and it did the same thing. It verified though unlike the stingray and showed no nick, but when I machined it there was a large nick in the arc. So do you think my post is the issue?

OK I got it! (I hope) I dont think its the post BTW

I just saw this the other day. You have a mixture of splines, arcs and lines. The nick is where a spline and arc meet. It has something to do with the algorithm that spline uses doesnt have a good enough tolerance for the offsetting of the profile path. It throws it for a moment. This is why with no offset it works ok.

The fix is to "explode" the spline. I did the arc too, then the nick disappears. Of course the cut will be the proof.

I'm not well versed in the explode of entities, maybe someone else can chime in here.

If you want to analyze your drawing more, you can use a selection mask to view whats there. Right click in your workspace and choose selection mask, then use the uncheck all button to deslect everything, then select only "spline" and then window select all the geometry and see whats selected. Do the same for arcs and lines.

I selected explode from the utilities menu and did a default explode of the entire geometry. It broke it into very small pieces and took a bit longer to generate toolpath, but then verified fine. You could fool with only exploding the spline that is the badboy, or the spline and arc that touch there, or a larger explode value.

This should get it going.

Good luck,
    Burr

I would recomend exploding all of the splines, with the reason being that it bit you once, don't allow it to happen again.

Dave

Any input on a strategy for exploding? I have no experience here.

[EDIT] I just looked at the help file and it seems it will answer myquestions. I'll poke around a bit and see what I find. [EDIT]

So what exactly does exploding do? I did it and it seemed to have worked so far. I have'nt cut the peice yet, but I verified it and the nick is gone.

Your V23 help file will explain it pretty good. Just index "explode".

The issue is the spline function is not as agressive in creating geometry and the explode can be more agressive when breaking up the segments to lines and arcs. So far it seems to really affect the profile feature when running an offset.

Was this a bobart file?

I have v22 and no I made made this all out of splines. I know it explains what to do and it says something about tolerances, but it does'nt really say what it does. Does it actually change the geometry ?

Hey Burr,
    Can you upload a picture with a zoomed in view of the "nick" that CNC is talking about for me? Sorry, I'm trying to catch up on this thread.
    Dave

Thanks Dave. Here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nickers.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	83677

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	origin_of_nickers.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	83678

The funny thing is it doesnt show in editor backplot. Only the VCNC built in or Level three VCNC. If you zoom and watch while it is in the verify, the tool doesnt go over and cut it, it just magically disappears. The One thought that it was just a display anomoly, but CNC said he cut it and it nicked.

I think its the spline thing that The One had brought up on another model a guy was workinfg with, who had a offset profile on a spline that was doing different stuff.

For this I exploded the spline and the nick was gone in the verify. Hopefully it cuts well also.

Quote Originally Posted by cncjunky View Post
    I have v22 and no I made made this all out of splines. I know it explains what to do and it says something about tolerances, but it does'nt really say what it does. Does it actually change the geometry ?
    It can. It chages the spline curve into arcs and line segments. The tolerance is "How much BobCad can deviate from the spline to do this". There are some check boxes in the explode function that you can tell it to create Lines, Arcs, or let BobCad decide on lines and arcs and make a best fit.

If you were maching something that required critical tolerances be adhered to, you would need to really pay attention here. I dont think this falls into that catagory.Just explode the splines with the default value and see what you get. (When you select that spline now, its a big long curve. After you explode it, it will be many small lines and arc ( or either or)).

Page 3 of 4 1234