587,997 active members*
1,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tm1p spindle air leak

i noticed a small air leak in the set screw on the side of the spindle last week and it has seemed to progressively get worse,and tonight i notice air leaking around the spindle.

i did a post search and couldnt find any info other than it should cut off shortly after spindle stops (which it doesnt)

seem to notice some potential maintenance issues just about everyday now.

anyone have anysuggestions whether i should fix it or leave it alone?

i also have several toolholders from various sources that some come out of the spindle like you are hitting the top with a hammer when you press the tool release button and others you cant feel them disengage.

are these issues related and are the belleville washers going to be the first place i start looking?

thank you in advance.
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by timmydabull View Post
    ....i also have several toolholders from various sources that some come out of the spindle like you are hitting the top with a hammer when you press the tool release button and others you cant feel them disengage....
    Have you thoroughly cleaned the spindle taper and the toolholder tapers? Over time a coating can build up from evaporated coolant and this can cause the holders to stick in the taper. Also it is my experience that some holders will stick more than others even when they are really clean and just have a light oil coating. This difference often shows up between holders when they have bee working hard in a heavy cut.

Regarding your air leak the only comment I can make is that it could be a sticky solenoid valve. Is your air supply clean and dry?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Tim,

The air you feel coming out of the spindle is a positive air flow and the small air regulator for it is behind the machine. It should be set to 17psi. It should only occur when the spindle is running and for a minute after it is stopped.
    The air regulator sits directly behind the main air regulator and is controlled with a 115vac solenoid valve.
    If your valve is stuck open, the air purge will be on continuously. This is more than likely caused by a bad air supply to the machine. Moister in the air supply washes the pre-lubed valve clear of lube causing the valve to stick.
    The machine should have a clean dry air supply. If not you will need to expect problems.

Are your tools sticking in the spindle? Or the noise you described, is it in the headstock area above the spindle behind the cover?
    Try cleaning the taper of your tools and the taper of your spindle with Scotch-Brite and light oil.

What are the, "potential maintenance issues," that you are having. Other than cleanliness and grease the TM series of machine is pretty much maintenance free.

Let us know how it turns out!

Edit to Add: ! Damit Geof, beat me by a minute!

Loose Nut

are the tm1p spindles not grease packed , like the tm1. if they are oil feed then air will come out the set srew on the side and out the bottom of the spindle the tm is also famous for sticking tool holders some sound like a shotgun going off coming out of the taper and others sound like a feather droping been running my tm for 6 years. keep the tools and spindle clean and you should be good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Have you thoroughly cleaned the spindle taper and the toolholder tapers? Over time a coating can build up from evaporated coolant and this can cause the holders to stick in the taper. Also it is my experience that some holders will stick more than others even when they are really clean and just have a light oil coating. This difference often shows up between holders when they have bee working hard in a heavy cut.

Regarding your air leak the only comment I can make is that it could be a sticky solenoid valve. Is your air supply clean and dry?
    i havent cleaned anything in 6 months guess its time,how do you go about cleaning the spindle and toolholder tapers?

thank you

ps

the drain on my air compressor the other day when i went to drain excess water from the tank was stopped up with sludge,havent figgured out how im going to fix that issue yet.

normally i have been very persistent in draining all water filters in the tank and on the system on a daily or bi daily basis.

i have been working very hard for the last several months and i may have been lax in maintaining our equipment working from 9 am to 3 am 7 days a week is getting to me
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Nut View Post
    Tim,

The air you feel coming out of the spindle is a positive air flow and the small air regulator for it is behind the machine. It should be set to 17psi. It should only occur when the spindle is running and for a minute after it is stopped.
    The air regulator sits directly behind the main air regulator and is controlled with a 115vac solenoid valve.
    If your valve is stuck open, the air purge will be on continuously. This is more than likely caused by a bad air supply to the machine. Moister in the air supply washes the pre-lubed valve clear of lube causing the valve to stick.
    The machine should have a clean dry air supply. If not you will need to expect problems.

Are your tools sticking in the spindle? Or the noise you described, is it in the headstock area above the spindle behind the cover?
    Try cleaning the taper of your tools and the taper of your spindle with Scotch-Brite and light oil.

What are the, "potential maintenance issues," that you are having. Other than cleanliness and grease the TM series of machine is pretty much maintenance free.

Let us know how it turns out!

Edit to Add: ! Damit Geof, beat me by a minute!

Loose Nut

i checked the regulator and is set to 17psi gauge pressure.

i have been getting moisture in the air supply recently due to reasons mentioned above although i have a trap at the compressor and another at the machine.

the tools are sticking in the spindle,i will clean them using the methods you described.

i recently have had to replace the ballscrew cover,noticed the airleak in the spindle,compressor drain issues(sorry no related to machine) and the y axis is louder than the rest of the axis travel.

dont know what to do on that one i noticed a piece of fiber in the back of the y axis linear guide cover and i highly suspect it is maybe a wiper of some sort. (dont know what i should or shouldnt do regarding linear guides)

Quote Originally Posted by axis View Post
    are the tm1p spindles not grease packed , like the tm1. if they are oil feed then air will come out the set srew on the side and out the bottom of the spindle the tm is also famous for sticking tool holders some sound like a shotgun going off coming out of the taper and others sound like a feather droping been running my tm for 6 years. keep the tools and spindle clean and you should be good to go

yes grease packed,although i grease routinely the grease mrely squirts out the side of the zirk fitting,dont know if its full or i am doing something wrong

will start keeping tools clean as i can,i have been using my liquid ice coolant very rich recently and i had to remove and reinstall my chip auger as it was losing 5 gallons a day from a bad seal at the motor when the tech came out and installed it.

i want to personally thank all of you for your replies and help,i am a firm believer in (and i spend my life) helping others.

hopefully i will be in a situation to give back one day.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by timmydabull View Post
    i havent cleaned anything in 6 months guess its time,how do you go about cleaning the spindle and toolholder tapers?....
    I use methanol to take off the coolant residue and Varsol to take of oil and grease residue. For the spindle wad up a piece of cloth, I use old towels, soak it with either methanol or Varsol and just rotate it inside the taper.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

tm grease gun

When i first got my tm2 i had the same problem when greasing the xyz ways, grease would leak out around grease nipple making me worry if the grease was going into the trucks, so i bought a new end for my grease gun and all the grease goes into the machine without any leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I use methanol to take off the coolant residue and Varsol to take of oil and grease residue. For the spindle wad up a piece of cloth, I use old towels, soak it with either methanol or Varsol and just rotate it inside the taper.

i will do

thank you Geof

Check to make sure it isn't rusted after you clean it. I used 2000+ grit sandpaper oiled with WD40 and turned the spindle CW at a low speed and cleaned up the internal taper on my machine.

The spindles are the same for TM1 and TM1P. The TM1 has different max rpm and frequency numbers in the parameters.

greasing the TM-1/TM-1P

How many pumps of your grease gun and how often do you guys grease your TM-1/TM-1P's?

John

greasing tm

book says two pumps per fitting each week but i go on how much i use the machine, if its working all week i give it one pump per fitting on monday then again on wed or thurs just to spread it out.

I know the age and model make a difference but my TM-1P kept the spindle air flowing constantly when I first got it. The compressor ran all the time. Fortunately, a friend of mine knew the electronics well enough to tell me how to wire the air valve on the small regulator into the timed circuit which will shut the air off after the spindle stops. There is a parameter that controls the delay. I can not figure out why Haas would want the air to be flowing through the spindle when it is not turning but I'm sure they have one. I have mine sete to flow for 20 seconds after the spindle stops which will cover any tool change.

Vern

looks like i will be getting a new grease gun tomorrow.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    I know the age and model make a difference but my TM-1P kept the spindle air flowing constantly when I first got it. The compressor ran all the time. Fortunately, a friend of mine knew the electronics well enough to tell me how to wire the air valve on the small regulator into the timed circuit which will shut the air off after the spindle stops. There is a parameter that controls the delay. I can not figure out why Haas would want the air to be flowing through the spindle when it is not turning but I'm sure they have one. I have mine sete to flow for 20 seconds after the spindle stops which will cover any tool change.

Vern
    Do you know which parameter that is? Have you found that the duration is random, varies greatly, and that it doesn't seem to be based on anything? Sometimes, when my MiniMill's spindle runs for hours at max rpm, the air will turn off when the spindle stops. Other times a single G00 in the MDI, without turning the spindle on, will have the air flowing for 10 minutes or more (I seem to remember clocking it at 20 minutes once).

Any chance you'd be willing to share your schematic?

Chris

Please remember all these machines are not the same so this information only pertains to my 2006 TM-1P. You are on your own with your particular machine. This is a layman's disclaimer, lawyers charge lots of money to say the same thing in 4,000 words or more.

The circuit we used was the spindle fan off delay. It is controlled by parameter 208. The wire you want is the one coming from the small air regulator. Below is a picture of the tag on mine. The pin on the power board you want is P-41 on the bottom right corner, it is clearly marked and labeled spindle fan. You can see in the second picture the pin and board. In front and out of focus are the auto store splices I used to graft the air regulator control wires into the spindle fan control wires. This way they share the same pin or board connection.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wire.jpg   Plug.jpg  

bought a handheld grease gun today with flexible hose and i must say it seems to work much nicer than the gun that came with the machine.