587,119 active members*
3,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What software

I have a Joe2006 machine. Not yet completed but will be soon. I want to be able to cut aluminum molds for casting lead for fishing. Problem I have right now is that I do not think I have the software to do this. I know the router can do it just not sure I can control it. I used to draw with Sketch-up, I have V-Carve Pro and Mach3, any suggestions? Here is a picture of a mold I would like to cut. Ignore the hinge, looks too much like work to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Large Flair 3,4,5,6oz -1.jpg  
    Never underestimate the power of Stupid People in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by DayneInfo View Post
    I have a Joe2006 machine. Not yet completed but will be soon. I want to be able to cut aluminum molds for casting lead for fishing. Problem I have right now is that I do not think I have the software to do this. I know the router can do it just not sure I can control it. I used to draw with Sketch-up, I have V-Carve Pro and Mach3, any suggestions? Here is a picture of a mold I would like to cut. Ignore the hinge, looks too much like work to me.
    I would imagine you would want something like cut3d or meshcam. You can use sketchup to export models for both of them but with meshcam I think you need a plugin. You may need the plugin for both, can't remeber for sure. Meshcam has a free 30 day trial and no limit on gcode generation.

here is the link to the plugin for meshcam. http://www.guitar-list.com/download-...les-dxf-or-stl

A problem you may run into is that sketchup doesn't do true arcs. But I'm finding breaking the arcs up into more segments seems to work well.