587,997 active members*
2,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Do you warm up your Machine?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

42 68.85%
  • Never

12 19.67%
  • Depends on the the weather...

7 11.48%

Hybrid View

Geof--
    I recommend to warm up ANY machine regradless of RPM capacity whether it is a lathe, VMC, Jig Bore, etc. IT does make a difference in protecting the components from thermal shock. Also distributing the oil help to ensure that the machine doe not run with out proper lube.

Neal

I look at it very simply. I'm not going to start my motorcycle and run it at 5000 RPM cold (yeah, a lot heavier moving parts but you get my drift). Why would I bang my spindle up to 6-7000 RPM when it's cold?

Especially in the winter. It's 57F - 60F in the shop when it's "warm" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Geof--
    I recommend to warm up ANY machine regradless of RPM capacity whether it is a lathe, VMC, Jig Bore, etc......Neal
    I agree with you but if you look at the post immediately preceding yours not everyone thinks warm up is needed. I have learnt to waffle in my posts having had people jump on me for making dogmatic suggestions.

What I want though is a system where I can have a robot running around turning on the compressors and starting all the warm up cycles a half hour before my guys get in; we lose 15 to 20 minutes every morning on the warm up cycle.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Tool in the spindle during warm-up or not?
    Still working in the "D".

That's a great question. I don't but it seems to use more air, maybe it's my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana Don View Post
    With high speed spindles if there is a tool in the spindle you need to make sure it is a balanced holder.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Not

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana Don View Post
    I have 3 hurco machines 2 mills 1 Lathe, the 2 mills will not let me warm them up with a tool in spindle. I would imagine it is more of a safety thing than anything else.