587,832 active members*
3,081 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > tooling for a novice...

tooling for a novice...

I have always wanted to learn how to run a lathe and milling machine. I finally have access to a manual knee mill, but there isn't anyone there that can give me guidance (I think the guy uses it as a drill press)...

My first 'project' was to take saw cut aluminum 1-3/4" round bar and face it on both ends yielding parallel ends and 'close' to the same height (2"). All the tooling is random. I did several pieces with an end mill that wasn't carbide and got ok surface finish, but the cutter clogged and needed a very slow feed rate. The next time I got an end mill with removable carbide inserts from the 'pile'. This tool cut great, but seemed to 'dig' in when either entering or leaving the work leaving a bad surface finish.

What end mill should I buy (and where from) for this type operation?

Talking Milling Advice

I use solid carbide SKI-CARB End Mills from Fullerton Tool for Aluminum milling and an A-Symmetric Solid Carbide End Mill from Hanita for steel. A high shear positive rake carbide insert cutter will also work and with any tool the right depth of cut, corner radius, feed & speed needs to be considered.

You stated you were digging into the work piece on entry and exit. try a shallower depth of cut and leave .010 to .020 for a finish pass to improve the finish. Make sure your work piece is solidly held and that your work head and table are both locked in place.

I am not much of a manual machinist so I do not know the workings of a knee mill to give you better operating advice. I run a 5-Axis Okuma MC60H CNC Horizontal Mill with a 100 tool capacity. 5000 max rpm.

Milling is milling. The tool does not care or know what machine it is being used in. Hope this helps some.

Kenny

I don't know if tooling is the issue here. Feeds and speeds, as well as a light cutting oil are important for working with aluminum. If you have a decent endmill available at the shop and let us know the size, we can recommend a procedure to produce quality results. Setup is also important when dealing with short round pieces like you described. How are you holding the piece?

Remember the difference between Conventional Cutting and Climb Cutting

Here: right down the bottom of the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milling_cutter
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.