588,588 active members*
14,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Need help with new-to-me J325

Need help with new-to-me J325

Hi all,

I acquired a '92 J325 with D20 control. I have it powered up and supplied with air. How do I reference the axes? I have all the manuals, but I'm still confused. I can jog the axes around a little, but I get the fault message "zero reference required." The Y and Z axes only moved a little, and were both around the center of their travel and stopped and refused to move any more. Also, i get travel limit faults on these. The X axis would move back and forth all the way without a problem. So I jogged it over to the limit switch, which gave me another over travel alarm, e-stop, etc. How do I get it back off it's switch? I searched the forums a bit but didn't find anything specifically dealing with my problem. I'm pretty familiar with a variety of CNC controls but this one has me stumped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

A J325 does not use switches to zero return. X&Y use a arrow marker, you jog the axis to about a 1/8" to the arrow, on the minus side. Then reference in the positive direction, the arrows should be close to lining up. The quill (z) should show about a 1/8 of quill sticking out of the casting, same thing, press + in zero mode.

Thanks for the reply!

So I manual jogged the x axis off the limit switch (turned the belt) and then homed the machine. If I jog an axis close to the switch, it will stop and I get an overtravel fault. I assume these are the software limits?

So now that that is done, how do I load a tool in the spindle? I have air pressure, but the clamp/unclamp switch doesn't do anything. Do I need to be in a certain mode?

Thanks again,

Kevin

I don't remember needing to be in any particular mode. I know it should work in auto. Does your spindle drive have an alarm? The tool will not unclamp if the control does not see a zero speed signal from the spindle drive.

Well, I had the guy who used to run this machine stop by today to give me some help. He said the tool clamp/unclamp should work anytime. So I opened the drive cabinet to see what was up. None of the lights on the drive were on. It has power at the input terminals, but doesn't seem to turn on. I'm concerned, as the drive has a ground, and i have high leg delta three phase. Could this be a supply issue?

Kevin

Stinger legs can take out drives if not on the correct terminal of the breaker. Can't remember any longer if it was center or right on that machine. Check the input fuse inside the drive. You need to take the cover off the drive to access it.